Buying records

mixed_biscuits

mms

sometimes
Does anyone here buy newly-released records (especially dance music) with a view to reselling them ten years down the line? Maybe even buying multiples of the same thing?

haha, no or limited records in bundles, but when i worked at a record shop, people would do this quite alot, speculation really, i kind of hated them for doing that if i'm going to be honest, as i like records as a very good carrier of sound and information..

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, heard about this, it's a real shame, I used to go to that shop every week when I lived in Nottingham.

Elijah

Butterz
Does anyone here buy newly-released records (especially dance music) with a view to reselling them ten years down the line? Maybe even buying multiples of the same thing?

i would hate to have to sell any records i have bought, I dont have a big collection, but if I had to sell one of anything i'd be hurt

gumdrops

theres records i wish i had bought doubles of, esp when you see them going on ebay for stupid money. saying that though, i bought copies of dizzees go and ho lately on ebay for only a fiver, which was surprising.

I wish

I could have bought records with a view to selling them for more money down the line...

but it too late for that now

digital (CD's etc) is best imo but I wish a new HIGH RESOLUTION (not MP3) format (like FLAC) could come out so piracy could be halted

keeping things vinyl only NOW is a bit inner circlish and anal imo

IdleRich

IdleRich
Nice one, I'll read when I get a chance.
Also, your tape review is coming honest, I'm half way through.....

ether

It was a proper Nottingham institution, while I lived there between 2004-08

My fondest memory is walking in there on balmy friday afternoon to find a guy off his face on pills dancing to a stack of hardcore records sweating his tits off.

tbh. the staff where a bit moody and they never really embraced the internet mailorder thing, which is suicide if your running a record shop in this climate.

gumdrops

http://www.salon.com/news/brand_graveyard/feature/2009/03/12/virgin/print.html

The only area of record retail that seems to be doing OK, even prospering, is used vinyl, especially the high-end, boutique sector catering to collectors willing to pay good money and who are still addicted to the thrill of the hunt and the random discoveries that you don't get from eBay or Gemm. But that only serves to reinforce the grim truth: The future of the record store lies in music's past.

Leo

from an interview with a guy who ran atomic records, a recently closed indie record store in milwaukee ( http://www.popmatters.com/pm/featur...re-an-interview-with-atomic-records-rich-menn )

Will venues like blogs, Internet messageboards, and other online communities ever be able to fill the role that record stores have played in allowing people to interact with and discover new music?
To a degree, but not with the same magic that record stores do. There’s a joy in knowing that there’s a place just sitting there, full of wonderful music that’s ripe for the picking. Can you imagine driving 400 miles to discover music like I did with Wax Trax? It was an adventure! Now people are sitting alone, glued to their computers and barely leaving their house. It’s weird—we’re shipping mail orders to the same zip code as the store!

And with advance leaks and Pitchfork reviews, records are often heard—sometimes not even—and dismissed before they’re even released in some ungodly rush to find the next big thing. (my emphasis, SO true...)

With everything readily available at your fingertips it all comes so easily that it loses any context. What makes it unique to you, the listener? This uniqueness can be attached to the physical artifact or the effort that was made in finding it or, most importantly, the memory of the circumstances you were in when you first heard it. When your wellspring of discovery is something as cold and unmemorable as a computer screen, it’s no wonder that it all becomes meaningless wallpaper.

gumdrops

one thing i wonder about all the indie record shops shutting is if its made them nicer to customers. im sure it wasnt the case at all shops but i remember before things got tough when youd to go to shops like mr bongos and they seemingly had no interest in things like 'customer service'.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
A combination of space issues (ie no more space for crates), less money, never loving CDs in the first place (the first one I got was a Morricone sampler, with a cheap cover and no liner notes, it's still playable some 24 years later though) and the arrival of Spotify in the UK has made me scale down big time on physical purchases. Probably never was a true collector (as in obsessive Beatles, butterfly or stamp collector) anyways, although there are some rare items in my vinyl.

Live music is now outselling recorded music in the UK -
http://musically.com/blog/2009/03/16/uk-live-music-outearned-recorded-music-in-2008/

As for a new format - it is already there in the form of Blu-Ray (http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/2L-Founder-blu-ray-audio-future-1652.shtml) but I cannot see this take off apart from within the very select high-end hifi crowd.