mms

sometimes
Compared to who?

not really talking about comparison, i don't think sacred cows are really entirely about comparison, it's the idea that everything he does is gold, it's not it's really very formulaic. Sure he's carved his niche but it's not progressed and ran new york for ages, and killed it as well because he was a sacred cow, not enough hip hop music from new york challenged his orthodoxy.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
Opinions will vary on which record is their best (as if 'best' make any sense to begin with, i couldn't care less about such an arbitrary denomination) (and thank goodness opinions vary, how boring it would be otherwise), but I can tell you that having watched up close SY perform Daydream Nation in its entirety last summer, there is no question but that they still play with fire and love for the music. Absolutely incendiary, and the smiles on their faces said it all. A very enjoyable experience, and the music sounded wonderful.

for the hardcore SY fans: if you haven't checked out Thurston's latest solo album Trees Outside the Academy: do so!

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Re Miles Davis:

Alright, but his ludicrous and inflated reputation lives!

Are you sure? Compared to most names mentioned so far I'd say his reputation is more than deserved. I mean...Stone Roses? :mad: Of course they milk the back catalogue and box up (rehash in some cases) every 'lost' session but for me he is a sacred cow (which is not to say that everything he did was brilliant).

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
not really talking about comparison, i don't think sacred cows are really entirely about comparison, it's the idea that everything he does is gold, it's not it's really very formulaic. Sure he's carved his niche but it's not progressed and ran new york for ages, and killed it as well because he was a sacred cow, not enough hip hop music from new york challenged his orthodoxy.

Oh right yeah. True- a lot of his recent output is boring.

mos dan

fact music
i don't know why we haven't yet explored the Broadsheet Newspaper Consensus On Interesting Guitar Music, featuring the likes of:

The Arcade Fire (ooh, epic are we? so was lord of the rings. it was also boring.)
British Sea Power (why are they Interesting, supposedly?)

there must be lots more like this surely?

on a sort-of-related point, i think it's hilarious when journos get all wet talking about an 'intelligent' rock band just because said band has read a few books and went to university.

straight

wings cru
tricky must be the king of all sacred cows. He's back with his eigth album and, again, it is a return to form, his best since maximquaye!

the only album people didnt say this about was "angels with dirty faces" and strangely enough that's the one i like (but then again, i never cared that much for maximquaye in the first place)

'broken homes' with PJ harvey on that record is fantastic. dunno about the rest

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
British Sea Power (why are they Interesting, supposedly?)

The British press loves to do this, don't they? They take seemingly random bands and bestow genius upon them with no real discernable justification. The last one I can think of is the Klaxons, but I remember they did it with The Coral, Muse, and a whack of others too.

Oh also, no one is allowed to fuck with J Dilla. It's almost punishable by total social rejection. They do the witch test on you.

zhao

there are no accidents
everything mentioned on this page (haven't looked at the other pages) are stupid, lame, and horrible.

craner

Beast of Burden
To the person who said that U2 are Status Quo with edgy producers, that's totally unfair. To the Quo.