Minimal Tech, Electro etc

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
Anyone - How is Ame described / classified? Minimal deep house blabla? I'm not too clued up here. I saw them with Gerd Janson and it was pretty nice.

Ame are a bit difficult to pin down. I guess really they fall into the new deep category, but they both predate and diverge considerably from it. They're great though, they're one of these house people where you really feel like they're carrying on from Gottsching et al.

viktorvaughn

Ame are a bit difficult to pin down. I guess really they fall into the new deep category, but they both predate and diverge considerably from it. They're great though, they're one of these house people where you really feel like they're carrying on from Gottsching et al.

Are they in the minimal camp at all?

I have not idea what or who Gottsching are. Alas, my house knowledge is far from Grime levels!

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
They're kind of in the minimal camp, or at least their tunes get played a lot. "Rej" was the summer anthem of 2006. They've always distanced themsevles from the scene in interviews though.

Manuel Gottsching is an avant garde electronic guy, he wrote "E2-E4", it influenced a lot of the detroit guys pretty heavily.

Client Eastwood

Ame wouldnt go into the minimal camp imo, they sort of update deep house with a distinctly european feel.

Gottshing did e2:e4 seminal track with formed the basis of Suento Latino which was a big track in the late 80's. And popped up later on Basic Channel as Reshape.

Im too am confused about what exactly is mnml
Pantha Du Prince ?
Claro Intelecto ?
But I would just call those techno and maybe add deep too . . .

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
To be honest, there's not much that's exactly mnml anymore. Or nothing that's really breaking ground. I guess certain minus aping labels are still doing that type of thing, but the best producers have learnt their lessons from minimal and applied them to different things. Such as the people who are releasing on Oslo - they've taken minimal's feel for percussive intensity and avoidance of obvious devices and built them onto solid house templates and made something new in the process. Minimal has given a lot of people a lot of new ideas, and they're using them in all sorts of brilliant ways. It just doesn't sound much like mnml anymore.

Benny Bunter

A Berlin related query (slightly off topic):

I spent a few days in Berlin on holiday a couple of years ago. Details/street names are hazy now, but the highlight of the trip was when we ended up in this club near where we were staying, just down the road from Alexanderplatz (that big needle thing).
The club was in the top floor of a huge, fairly dilapidated building on the main street, that had art shops and a cinema inside it, and there was a hippy caravan camp round the back. Anyone know the name of the place?

It was a mental place like. Three or four rooms playing techno which got progressively unhinged as you went deeper in, culminating in all out digital mayhem sort of stuff at the very back room. I had a great night and I'd love to go back there some day. Can anybody ID the place?

psherburne

I think one of the problems with pinning down "minimal" (note how it lost the "-ism" about the time it lost any sort of specificity; "minimal" is now, for many people, a noun) is a divergence in strategies. On the one hand you have the "micro" tendency, the move towards small, itty-bitty sounds, ticks and clicks and pops and crystalline pings, or even just a stripped-back 808-inspired kit; this end of minimal is generally a-melodic, at times even without any discernable bass lines, and leads its critics to charge it with being boring, sexless, etc.

On the other side, you have music that engages with minimalISM as a strategy -- generally with an extreme focus on repetition. The irony is that much music that's genuinely minimalist in strategy is the furthest thing from what gets classed as Minimal -- Moodymann, Theo Parrish, that shit is seriously minimalist in form and intent. Even going back to the original Chicago house & acid house, that stuff was properly minimalist as well. Going back to Âme, their recent contribution to the Berghain ballet comp was way influenced by Gottsching and Steve Reich. Âme aren't really "minimal" in the contemporary sense, but they're certainly influenced by '60s and '70s Minimalism. (Of course, this brings up the problem that classical Minimalism was always a misnomer itself!)

Anyway, as a genre, the term "minimal" is by and large divorced from the word's underlying meanings these days; it's become a kind of free-floating signifier used most emphatically by its supporters (seemingly, a lot of 18-year-old Italians, these days) and its detractors (Detroit techno fans). Obviously I'm generalizing, but I hope that makes some sense...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
If anyone can link me some sets of minimal that doesn't require five inches of ketamine to enjoy, I'd be grateful/sexy/make my hair look nice.

Numbers

Certainly not a groundbreaking recommendation, but if there is one label that for me makes minimal techno something interesting, it's the Mobilee-label. The quality control of label head Anja Schneider is top and I have to admit I almost love everything Pan Pot do. If there is any kind of techno that makes sense in the dubstep-paradigm that since some years is dominating my musical preferences, it's exactly this seemingly emptiness crafted out of generously rich textures.

Honestly, I quickly lost my interest in maximalist minimalists (mnml?!). Sure, melody is nice. But does it have to be so samey, so recognizable?

Alfons

Way of the future
but the best producers have learnt their lessons from minimal and applied them to different things. Such as the people who are releasing on Oslo - they've taken minimal's feel for percussive intensity and avoidance of obvious devices and built them onto solid house templates and made something new in the process. Minimal has given a lot of people a lot of new ideas, and they're using them in all sorts of brilliant ways. It just doesn't sound much like mnml anymore.

a lot of people were going on about labels like oslo and mountain people, doing percussion driven minimal inspired deep housey things, definitely minimial influenced I would say. This got a lot of hype for a few months on some of the blogs I felt, "deep house is back / is the new minimal". Lots of really great music in that vibe but the hype was big, at least in certain circles, and inevitably there was/is a backlash.

For now there seems to be a detroit revival thing, "real techno", the new berghain mix cd and things on that kind of vibe getting a lot of love (and a lot of it is really good too).

Alfons

Way of the future
A Berlin related query (slightly off topic):

I spent a few days in Berlin on holiday a couple of years ago. Details/street names are hazy now, but the highlight of the trip was when we ended up in this club near where we were staying, just down the road from Alexanderplatz (that big needle thing).
The club was in the top floor of a huge, fairly dilapidated building on the main street, that had art shops and a cinema inside it, and there was a hippy caravan camp round the back. Anyone know the name of the place?

It was a mental place like. Three or four rooms playing techno which got progressively unhinged as you went deeper in, culminating in all out digital mayhem sort of stuff at the very back room. I had a great night and I'd love to go back there some day. Can anybody ID the place?

wild guess, RAW Tempel: http://www.raw-tempel.de/

Not really close to Alexanderplatz tho...

rob_giri

maybe tachalus... or zapata club... they're closer to alexanderplatz... one of the ones on oranienburger st...

rob_giri

and btw does anyone know that track with the jittery accordion? im pretty sure its villalobos but i dont know which one...thats about all the info i can give

it was played heaps in clubs in berlin last year, then i was in goa and went to the saturday night market and these germans had set up a swanky little techno club in the corner and were playing tunes and eventually dropped this one, hilarious stuff to hear nearby to indian villages, at least to get away from the horendous trance onslaught

echevarian

babylon sister
Are you talking about Samim's track? Heater?

That was really big last summer, had a accordion sample from some cumbia song in it.

DJ PIMP

still really enjoying most things paul woolford puts out. e.g. black orchid. fun scribbly synth bit. big sub. tidy beats and drops. massive massive sound...

his mix of myomi 'sun in my eyes' was very 'troit, but that new track 'utopia' is even moreso!

and his mix of 'reach for me' from the start of the year............ just nuts how good it is.

Benny Bunter

maybe tachalus... or zapata club... they're closer to alexanderplatz... one of the ones on oranienburger st...

Yes, Tacheles, that was it! Just had a look on the Wikipedia page for it here. Its got a really fascinating history that building. According to the wiki page, the lease with the property owner is up this year so its future is uncertain...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
What you looking for corpsey? Techy, housey, classic, up to the minute?

Well anything really, personally I'm more into soulful/housey stuff but I'll give anything a go. In discussions about minimal techno there's always this thing of ''some of it's great and some of it's boring shit''- I think most of the minimal I've heard probably falls into the latter camp but I could be wrong.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
Well anything really, personally I'm more into soulful/housey stuff but I'll give anything a go. In discussions about minimal techno there's always this thing of ''some of it's great and some of it's boring shit''- I think most of the minimal I've heard probably falls into the latter camp but I could be wrong.

ok well i'm gonna upload the mix efdemin did for ra for you then...soulful deep house moving into some more techy business a bit later on. Personal favourite of mine.