Minimal Tech, Electro etc

viktorvaughn

Finally got round to listening to half of that Edfemin podcast, enjoying it a lot. Thanks to sodium nightlife.

Enjoying listening to 4 to the floor music more and more, still can't quite get my head/body around dancing to it, think I need to go to a few nights to sort that out. Any recommendations?

Minimal Carnival ~ Gramophone (Commercial St). Small, intimate vibes and only 6 quid or so to get in. 2nd last Friday of every month I think.

Sud Electronic (http://www.sudelectronic.com/wp/) do nights from time to time.

There are also bigger, ravier nights at the clubs our east like Unit7, The Whipping Club which are down Commercial Road or Cable Street and I would imagine are pretty messy affairs - have a peek on Resident Advisor.

Alfons

Way of the future
http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature-read.aspx?id=1002

loooong feature on 2008 in dance/electronic music (mostly house & techno), like the e-mail exchange format and there are quite a few interesting points, even if it is a bit overwrought in places. For me it seems like the problem with the year end polls, lists and all that jazz has been the lack of a single narrative everyone can agree on, don't think there ever has been one but perhaps the internet makes this clearer when more voices come out.

DJ PIMP

The track I've played a few times that has most consistently had people asking about it, is the I-Cube mix of The Feeling by Toby Tobias. Not that it's particularly minimal or anything...

After all the cracked-out fidget etc what I'm really feeling at the mo is acid. Linear, muscular groove, bibbly bobbly, tuff drums having, no bullshit, acid.

Hardfloor - The Life We Choose - ERP remix
Paul Woolford - Utopia
Benny Blanco - Continuum
Omar-S - The Further You Look
DBX - Losing Control
Smash TV - Earth
Paul Anthony & ZXX - Squeaker Toy
Levon Vincent - Love Technique
Jori Hulkonnen - No Body - Levon Vincent mix
Paul Kalkbrenner - Gebruenn Gebruenn

etc etc.

I'm ready to go all hard-line and orthodox again.

vimothy

yurp
omar+s+fabric.jpg

This is fucking ace.

tox

Factory Girl
Cannot get into that Omar S Fabric CD. Not sure why exactly, perhaps just not what I've wanted to hear over the last few months. Strange though, as I've been listening to large amounts of Theo Parrish.

Haven't heard Xerrox vol 2 yet, but Richie Hawtin dropped bits of volume 1 at one of the Contakt concerts last year - awesome.

Recently I've been listening to a fair bit of Donato Dozzy and Cio D'or. They seem to be some of the few DJs still playing the bleep-filled brand of minimal that was so popular in 2006+07 - plenty of minus stuff, along with sleeparchive, pom pom, shed etc.

This mix from mnml ssg is a good one.

http://mnmlssg.blogspot.com/2009/03/mnml-ssgs-mx21-cio-dor.html

vimothy

yurp
New Alva Noto not really minimal. At least, it ain't clicks and cuts minimal. It's more like part of this this emerging new genre I'm calling "Sunn-if-it-was-good" -- i.e. it's fucking (digital) drone, but it's beautiful fucking (digital) drone. Clearly samples Sunn on one of the tracks as well.

Omar S -- two words: Strider's World.

The 10-20 album just out on Highpoint Lowlife has a clicks and cuts feel, and is pretty dope.

Nice one for the Cio D'or heads up. I'm really liking it.

padro1982

The Omar S CD is so good though, a real throwback to good old tracky as fuck house music, perfect for jacking. It's all about 'Crusin Conant' and 'A Victim', proper timeless tunes.

Granted, the guy comes across as a prize bellend in most interviews, but I also admire his DIY approach to releasing his music. He's keeping the Detroit ethos alive and all that...

Last edited:

alex

Do not read this.
I may have to go & purchase the Omar S cd above on lunch..

does anybody feel ricardo villalobos' Fabric album, love it personally.

alex

Do not read this.
also, does anybody reach that night medium @ PP...thinking of going to the next 1..

medium10-BACKmedium.jpg

although that looks like its mainly dubstep artists..i thought it was minimal, although i never reached the 1st one when sigha was headlining.

thenationalacrobat

eat white death...
haven't heard the omar-s fabric mix yet but the 'just ask the lonely' and 'oasis' collaborative thing with shadow ray are ace!

all about the title track of 'just ask the lonely' for me... when that snare hits at around 3.20 im sold.

love the villa fabric mix, he's actually pretty good y'know...

UFO over easy

online mahjong
also, does anybody reach that night medium @ PP...thinking of going to the next 1..

although that looks like its mainly dubstep artists..i thought it was minimal, although i never reached the 1st one when sigha was headlining.

medium's been going for a couple of years, they're a dnb night for the most part, though they have a very broad music policy. best night for that kinda thing in the city along with rupture

alex

Do not read this.
Robert Hood is playing @ the next Bleep @ Cable on June the 12th...be hyped to see him live..

vimothy

yurp
Really feeling The Black Dog, "Further Vexations", and SND, "Atavism", at the moment. South Yorkshire greatness.