Hip-Hop '00s

drilla

this is the craziest thing i've heard on the radio recently. the repetition of his name reminds me of grime style

i guess its inspired a range of other responses, see the sidebar

perhaps my favorite

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos

this is the craziest thing i've heard on the radio recently. the repetition of his name reminds me of grime style

i guess its inspired a range of other responses, see the sidebar

perhaps my favorite

I have actually been bussing impromptu "lookin' ass" freestyles in the shower since I have been shown this. I can understand why it seems to be becoming a meme on youtube.

ether

skitz/rodney p/riddla/skinnyman/wildflower

roots manuva

Taskforce

skinnyman/mudfam

louis slippers/jehst/mystro/braintax

louis slippers/phi life cypher

drilla

jeezy - put on

this is pretty epic right now. in fact mainstream US rap/rnb radio summer 2008 is my favorite period since i became interested. nearly every track they play has something going for it. I want to immortalize the feeling with an ableton mix, just gotta track down the tracks first

what about this David Banner character... this song "shawty say" fucking samples a lil wayne verse that came out THIS YEAR.. how is that possible. time is becoming instantaneous. and the production is insane in a number of ways. it's barely a song. he morphs his voice in this really creepy way, underwater breathing sounding.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
I really really wish I hadn't chosen to watch this. Although I was gripped until the end. I always knew he was nuts, but...

luka

have a listen to those immortal technique songs craner.... you'll despise him.
i played it to you in your kitchen years ago. he's even better now.

urbanite

subnoto
a little continental flavour just for fun...

TTC - Dans le Club

Cuizinier - The Good Guys

Klub de Loosers - Sous le signe du V

Sido - Strassenjunge

Taktloss - Wer Ist

Deichkind - RemmiDemi

craner

Beast of Burden
It's all about the Israeli Church of Universal Practical Knowledge. 5% Nation is for wimps.

At some point between Heavy Mental and today, KP went from inspired lunatic to crank. I don't know when this was: I certainly wasn't paying attention.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
It's all about the Israeli Church of Universal Practical Knowledge. 5% Nation is for wimps.

At some point between Heavy Mental and today, KP went from inspired lunatic to crank. I don't know when this was: I certainly wasn't paying attention.

D'yer think so? Aside from the impossible grammar in the "Star Wars" intro bit - which is just schizo - he's still just looks to me like a kid whose mum was really religious and whose dad was really into p-funk...imagine being shuttled between two houses like that as a kid, you'd come out like that n all lol.

urbanite

subnoto
With regards to Killah Priest going all religious... The one thing I don't understand is that certain music styles can be as religious as they want to be (think Reggae/Dancehall/Ragga) without anyone looking weird at them and yet get away with saying some really rough gangsta stuff. At the same time say religious Rap or any Rock type thing just sound out of place and tend to draw a lot of weird looks from people.

Concerning Lil'Wayne, yeah I would say the appeal is largely his quirkiness :) Been getting more and more into his stuff recently and as much as he is mainstream and popular, some of his rhymes are so offkilter and his flow is quite amazing. That "Show me what you got" freestyle showcased the flow really well. Content wise he's pretty boring, but it's kinda like listening to the Clipse I guess... It makes you feel big, especially while you're going around doing your work stuff and making money (alas in a very legal and sometimes plain boring way). At least I've found that it brings back a bit of that rush that I used to get from listening to things like Cypress Hill in their hey day or the Wu... You know where having this stuff in the player all of a sudden makes you walk a bit different, as pathetic as it is :)

craner

Beast of Burden
Well, no, he was going on about the black hebrew and god's spaceship stuff on Heavy Mental - that hasn't really changed. What's changed is that Heavy Mental was a stunning and very intense and dense record, whereas the new music is really awful. You can gauge the difference in quality just by watching the videos - the Wu tang era videos are really quite good, with all the Shogun Assassin and Byzantine king imagery. It's like the difference between Jess Franco's Harry Alan Tower and Soledad Miranda era films and his more recent hand-held digital video abominations, if you see what I mean.

If you don't think that that 'Redemption' video is quite exquisitely - even quaintly - cranky then either your vision is blurred or your thinking is wonky.

urbanite

subnoto
Well, no, he was going on about the black hebrew and god's spaceship stuff on Heavy Mental - that hasn't really changed. What's changed is that Heavy Mental was a stunning and very intense and dense record, whereas the new music is really awful. You can gauge the difference in quality just by watching the videos - the Wu tang era videos are really quite good, with all the Shogun Assassin and Byzantine king imagery. It's like the difference between Jess Franco's Harry Alan Tower and Soledad Miranda era films and his more recent hand-held digital video abominations, if you see what I mean.

If you don't think that that 'Redemption' video is quite exquisitely - even quaintly - cranky then either your vision is blurred or your thinking is wonky.

Yeah I haven't really followed his output... So didn't quite realise he'd done it better beforehand. That video is definitely quite a low budget affair which is just plain strange and not in a good way either. I meant the whole religious thing being out of place on certain types of genres more as a general reference. I guess that answers my question by simply saying that if it's done well, then it's less likely to cause this kind of reaction.

mms

sometimes
Yeah I haven't really followed his output... So didn't quite realise he'd done it better beforehand. That video is definitely quite a low budget affair which is just plain strange and not in a good way either. I meant the whole religious thing being out of place on certain types of genres more as a general reference. I guess that answers my question by simply saying that if it's done well, then it's less likely to cause this kind of reaction.

There is lots of odd black modern belief systems in hip hop though, lots of the wu stuff etc, has lots of 5 percent stuff in it, but it's hidden in lyrical cyphers, killah priest does seem to be more into some of the stranger aspects, but then ol mf doom used nuwabian imagery in his artwork etc. Alot of the time it's more or less noticing it, as it's not always that open.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I guess that answers my question by simply saying that if it's done well, then it's less likely to cause this kind of reaction.

Agreed. Wasn't Killah Priest always one of the deeper, nuttier guys when it came to the religious stuff? I really don't see what has changed other than the quality of his music.