Hip-Hop '00s

robin

i've been listening to freeway - what we do, constantly since you posted it. i forgot just how good that song is.

funny,i only just saw this thread but i've been listening to what we do loads recently too,its fantastic
looking forward to working through this thread and the pop one once i get a chance

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
What were you listening to?

New album anyone?
I like it, the first 10 tracks anyway.
After that it mysteriously starts to suck.
10 good tracks in a row is good going for an album these days.
He's got quite a few West + South guys on it which i thought was funny but they sound good.

I personally thought the album was kind of an embarrassment both sonically and lyrically. So much so that none of the other members of the Wu dared to guest appear on it. The other Wu Elements (Allah Mathematics, Bronze Nazareth, Cilvarings, True Master, 4th Disciple, etc.) are more in demand production wise than RZA is right now.

If he's doing a score or a soundtrack, he's fine. As far as leaving him to his own devices and not giving him a project to focus on with some boundaries his material ends up being crap.

One.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
This year has been distinctly awful for hip hop. Yes, I'm even saying it this year. Christ almighty.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
No...no it hasn't.

This year has been distinctly awful for hip hop. Yes, I'm even saying it this year. Christ almighty.

It's actually been a pretty good year for Hip Hop. Major label wise? Dreadful. Underground? A truckload of excellent under the radar albums have dropped this year. Read my blog for details.

One.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Lil Wayne- I don't really get it. I've listened to some tunes on youtube and although one or two are good, is he REALLY being hailed as the best rapper in the world?

I'm not so much anti the idea as bemused by it. Someone explain please why he's better than Ghostface.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
I think it takes a while for it to sink in why he's so good. He's just so strange, he comes out with so much weird stuff that totally makes you laugh. The voice gets you after a while too i think. Download last year's free mixtape, da drought 3, and listen to that. I got hooked on him after I'd listened to that.

Though i'm not sure about best ever...

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Oh, Corpsey....

Lil Wayne- I don't really get it. I've listened to some tunes on youtube and although one or two are good, is he REALLY being hailed as the best rapper in the world?

I'm not so much anti the idea as bemused by it. Someone explain please why he's better than Ghostface.

Nas>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lil' Wayne
Jay Z>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lil' Wayne
Ghostface Killah>>>>>>>>>>>Lil' Wayne
Lupe Fiasco>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lil' Wayne
Common>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lil' Wayne
Elzhi>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lil' Wayne
Joe Budden>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lil' Wayne
Royce Da 5'9">>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lil' Wayne
Scarface>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lil' Wayne
AZ>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lil' Wayne
Bishop Lamont>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lil' Wayne
Ras Kass>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lil' Wayne
Jay Electronica>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lil' Wayne

and the list goes on....

One.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Nas>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lil' Wayne
Jay Z>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lil' Wayne
Ghostface Killah>>>>>>>>>>>Lil' Wayne
Lupe Fiasco>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lil' Wayne
Common>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lil' Wayne
Elzhi>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lil' Wayne
Joe Budden>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lil' Wayne
Royce Da 5'9">>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lil' Wayne
Scarface>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lil' Wayne
AZ>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lil' Wayne
Bishop Lamont>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lil' Wayne
Ras Kass>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lil' Wayne
Jay Electronica>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lil' Wayne

and the list goes on....

One.

In terms of current relevancy, and mostly the kind of artist that Lil Wayne is, regardless of the genre he operates in, and how his mode of expression is so suited to the format of the current music industry in a way industry heads don't even really understand (hence, why they can't figure out how he's selling so many records), I'd say that Lil Wayne is pretty much better than any of those you listed. Specifically right NOW, of course.

That being said, I respect your particular taste for hip hop, and admire the depth of your passion for it, so it makes me feel kind of stupid saying shit like that, but almost all of those dudes you listed's careers peaked ages ago.

Last edited:

luka

im with sickboy.... in terms of career acheivements i'd agree with some of those people (lupe fiasco though? you must be carzy in the head) nas of course by a mile, ras kass, ghostface, maybe jay z, but right now not one of them is close... lil wayne is the one right now. (don't like the album one bit though)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This review seems to have helped me understand a bit more- it's his eccentricity, isn't it? Has anyone got a comp/mix of the best of Lil Wayne though, since apparently his albums/mixtapes are hit and miss?

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
For me da drought 3 was pretty much all hit, but yeah carter 3, the album that just came out, is definitely pretty patchy.

I don't even think its right to compare nas to little wayne, they both operate in hugely different territories. I think one thing that stands Lil Wayne apart from everyone else is that where they're all about reality, his life has never been anything but unreal. What age did he get signed at, like 9? It doesn't surprise me that the man is a drug addict with a totally warped view of things, I know i'd be if i'd spent my formative years on the road.

His metaphors are like no one elses, totally surrealistic without being try hard, and his rhythms are amazing, the man has a sense of timing that is all his own.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Greatest Rapper Alive?

im with sickboy.... in terms of career acheivements i'd agree with some of those people (lupe fiasco though? you must be carzy in the head) nas of course by a mile, ras kass, ghostface, maybe jay z, but right now not one of them is close... lil wayne is the one right now. (don't like the album one bit though)

I don't care about the "hotness" or relevancy argument. I can't argue that Lil' Wayne is far and away the most popular Hip Hop artist on the planet right now. I'm talking about his statement that he is the "Greatest Rapper Alive" (a claim he stole from Jay-Z, mind you!). After he said that I was like "Oh, really?". He get eaten alive by about 100 dudes I could name off the top of my head that no one on these boards have ever heard of and a gang more that actually have recognizable names.

All I'm saying is if you make a claim, you better be able to live up to it. Hottest in the game? I wouldn't try to dispute it. Greatest alive or best alive? FOH!

One.

Benny Bunter

i dunno what all the fuss is about Lil Wayne claiming he's the best anyway. Don't most rappers say this sort of thing all the time in their lyrics, regardless of how popular they are or how many records they've had out? :slanted:

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
Look! it's a very little lil wayne

pretty awesome song too

edit: and another one

sorry i don't whether these are before or after the millennium.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
This is the tune right here:

WHOAAADIE

-- getting back to tunes from this year specifically I really liked this one from Bun B's album, even if it did feature Rick Ross on it.

The album wasn't toobad on the whole, but it was nowhere near as good as his debut. This tune is my favourite from it.

Last edited: