K Punk/Pseud's Corner

Status
Not open for further replies.

swears

preppy-kei
I still got love for Peter Cook, Hislop is a bit of a smug tit, IMO.

The thing about people who bang on about being working class is that they always end up being lower middle C.

My dad was a chauffeur, then he set up his own small guttering firm. What does that make me? Working class? Lower middle? I would rather look at what somebody does, rather than what their parents did.

mms

sometimes
I still got love for Peter Cook, Hislop is a bit of a smug tit, IMO.

The thing about people who bang on about being working class is that they always end up being lower middle C.

My dad was a chauffeur, then he set up his own small guttering firm. What does that make me? Working class? Lower middle? I would rather look at what somebody does, rather than what their parents did.

yeah well a dissensus thread can't pass without class.:)

IdleRich

IdleRich
"not when you've taken numerous stands over class issues. public school is always a shameful secret in this country- just look at the kicking banksy took this last week"
But it oughtn't to be. Obviously I know nothing about the guy's background so all I can judge him on is his writing/blogging, that doesn't change depending on what school he went to a quarter of a century ago.

"he's always criticized the public school system and the kind of adults it often breeds, quite rightly."
Well, maybe so but the key word there is "often" isn't it? He could easily criticise the system without hypocrisy if he went to a public school and didn't turn out to be one of that type.

"And you're right you can't 'help' which school you go to, unless your parents are wealthy enough to make those decisions with money."
However wealthy you are it's almost always the parents who make the decision not the pupil, does someone who goes to Eton really have more choice about it than someone who goes to the local comprehensive? If David Cameron had said at the age of five "no mummy, I want to be a class warrior don't send me to a public school" do you reckon it would have carried much weight?

All the hip kids are using graves now, I just want to be like them.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Cheers but what about on a pc? How about if I wanted a grave accent?

For e with a grave hold down the alt key and type 0232 and then let go of the alt key.
For e with an acute hold down the alt key and type 0233 and then let go of the alt key.

There are lots of lists of the Windows ALT codes lurking about... but it can be a bit painful if you don't use particular ones regularly. Scarily, the codes for vowels with umlaut are permanently etched in my head (or hands, anyway) now.

If you're a more visual type you can run Character Map and copy and paste the bits you want from there.

Not as easy as on a Mac, then.

mms

sometimes
But it oughtn't to be. Obviously I know nothing about the guy's background so all I can judge him on is his writing/blogging, that doesn't change depending on what school he went to a quarter of a century ago.

Well, maybe so but the key word there is "often" isn't it? He could easily criticise the system without hypocrisy if he went to a public school and didn't turn out to be one of that type.

However wealthy you are it's almost always the parents who make the decision not the pupil, does someone who goes to Eton really have more choice about it than someone who goes to the local comprehensive? If David Cameron had said at the age of five "no mummy, I want to be a class warrior don't send me to a public school" do you reckon it would have carried much weight?

All the hip kids are using graves now, I just want to be like them.

going back to your original argument that make a point that he might be offended if ppl thought he was a public school boy is that
a/ he's proud of being working class, critical and anti public school - you can see this from his writings.

b/Going to public school is a massive privilege afforded only by the wealthy, and it gives those people huge advantages if they want to use it to their advantage in a way that's very very easy.

funny how you mention the word class warrior as if david cameron was essentially bound for public school as if sending him there is something totally natural for a person who's parents are that wealthy to, almost as if he has no choice but the privilege of public school isn't it, cos he'd have to be a real rebel to want to go to a comp...

IdleRich

IdleRich
"a/ he's proud of being working class, critical and anti public school - you can see this from his writings."
Yes, but like I said, I think it's pretty childish to be proud of something for which you're not at all responsible. I also said that it's perfectly possible to be anti-public school even if you went there, in fact a lot of the most vehement opponents of the system are graduates from it so I don't think that being anti-public school necessarily means that you didn't go to one.

"b/Going to public school is a massive privilege afforded only by the wealthy, and it gives those people huge advantages if they want to use it to their advantage in a way that's very very easy."
I know that, so what? If it were down to me I would abolish public schools (and faith schools) tomorrow but I hate people who hate people who attended them.

"funny how you mention the word class warrior as if david cameron was essentially bound for public school as if sending him there is something totally natural for a person who's parents are that wealthy to, almost as if he has no choice but the privilege of public school isn't it, cos he'd have to be a real rebel to want to go to a comp..."
I imagine that when David Cameron was five or possibly even four years old his parents took him to a school and there he went, just as I suspect you, I or the man you're calling KP would have done in the same situation. I reckon that to all intents and purposes he had no choice in the school that he attended and to hate him for that is completely misguided.

bassnation

the abyss
I know that, so what? If it were down to me I would abolish public schools (and faith schools) tomorrow but I hate people who hate people who attended them.

yeah, i know what you mean. its took a long time for me to see it that way though. i was quite angry and bitter about my perception of other peoples priveledges in relation to my own background (i guess you could call it a chip on the shoulder, or maybe more like a plank) for a long time. all that energy, not achieving anything apart from negativity. better to hate the system. besides some of my best friends (and ex lovers) have attended public or even boarding school.

Yes, but like I said, I think it's pretty childish to be proud of something for which you're not at all responsible.

well it's of personal importance to him as you can tell from his writing- i suppose there's an element of having overcome odds or being a sort of autodidact.

But it oughtn't to be.

yes, i wouldn't say otherwise. but that's just how received opinion runs in this country and i don't expect it'll change anytime soon. i thought the thing with banksy was pretty awful really, just intrusive. i suppose that's what you get for being any kind of public figure in the arts. cunts like will self whining away about your lack of integrity etc etc...

vimothy

yurp
Yes, but like I said, I think it's pretty childish to be proud of something for which you're not at all responsible.

Yep -- and lots of (middle class) people in this country think that being middle class is something to be ashamed of.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"yeah, i know what you mean. its took a long time for me to see it that way though. i was quite angry and bitter about my perception of other peoples priveledges in relation to my own background (i guess you could call it a chip on the shoulder, or maybe more like a plank) for a long time. all that energy, not achieving anything apart from negativity. better to hate the system. besides some of my best friends (and ex lovers) have attended public or even boarding school."
Exactly.

"i suppose there's an element of having overcome odds or being a sort of autodidact"
Fair enough, I think that is something of which to be proud.

"yes, i wouldn't say otherwise. but that's just how received opinion runs in this country and i don't expect it'll change anytime soon."
Well, it aint gonna change with some of the attitudes being displayed here. For me, public school definitely does confer an advantage on those that go there but that isn't something to take out on those people, that's another wrong failing to make a right.

"Yep -- and lots of (middle class) people in this country think that being middle class is something to be ashamed of."
Yeah, but it's bollocks, you can't help your class so you can't be ashamed of it. Simple as that.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Rather than being birthed like a normal child, K-punk instead punched his way out of his mother's womb. Shortly thereafter he grew a beard.

Before email was invented K-punk would attach messages to kittens and roundhouse kick them.

The chief export of K-punk is pain.

K-punk has yet to get a Who Wants To Be A Millionaire question wrong. Jesus has missed two.

K-punk sold his soul to the devil for his rugged good looks and unparalleled martial arts ability. Shortly after the transaction was finalized, K-punk roundhouse kicked the devil in the face and took his soul back. The devil, who appreciates irony, couldn't stay mad and admitted he should have seen it coming. They now play poker every second Wednesday of the month.

The original theme song to the Transformers was actually "K-punk--more than meets the eye, K-punk--robot in disguise," and starred K-punk as a Texas Ranger who defended the earth from drug-dealing Decepticons and could turn into a pick-up. This was far too awesome for a single show, however, so it was divided.

K-punk can make a woman climax by simply pointing at her and saying "booya".

K-punk once shot a German plane down with his finger, by yelling, "Bang!"

After much debate, President Truman decided to drop the atomic bomb on Hiroshima rather than the alternative of sending K-punk. His reasoning? It was more "humane".

If you can see K-punk, he can see you. If you can't see K-punk you may be only seconds away from death.

If you ask K-punk what time it is, he always says, "Two seconds till." After you ask, "Two seconds to what?" he roundhouse kicks you in the face.

When K-punk sends in his taxes, he sends blank forms and includes only a picture of himself, crouched and ready to attack. K-punk has not had to pay taxes ever.

K-punk lost his virginity before his dad did.

K-punk once roundhouse kicked someone so hard that his foot broke the speed of light, went back in time, and killed Amelia Earhart while she was flying over the Pacific Ocean.

K-punk built a time machine and went back in time to stop the JFK assassination. As Oswald shot, K-punk met all three bullets with his cap, deflecting them. JFK's head exploded out of sheer amazement.

K-punk doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.

Scientists used to believe that a diamond was the world's hardest substance. But then they met K-punk, who gave them a roundhouse kick to the face so hard, and with so much heat and pressure that the scientists turned into artificial K-punk.

When K-punk's wife burned the turkey one Christmas, he said, "don't worry about it honey," and went into his backyard. He came back five minutes later with a live turkey, ate it whole, and when he threw it up a few seconds later it was fully cooked and came with cranberry sauce. When his wife asked him how he had done it, he gave her a roundhouse kick to the face and said, "Never question K-punk."

K-punk owns the greatest poker face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 world series of poker despite him holding just a joker, a get out of jail free monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green number 4 card from the game Uno.

mms

sometimes
For me, public school definitely does confer an advantage on those that go there but that isn't something to take out on those people, that's another wrong failing to make a right.

Yes of course i don't think anyone was sniping at people who went to public school, it was just originally before this discussion went weird ; bassnation thought KP went to public school when often his writing has been anti-public school, hence my original statement.

However, i don't think it's wrong to be critical of the massive inequalities that are taken for granted by both rich and poor in the uk, of which the public school system and it's advantages and some of it's ex pupils are part of.
I've never mentioned and i don't hate people cos they went to public school so i'd be grateful if you didn't put words in my mouth.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I've never mentioned and i don't hate people cos they went to public school so i'd be grateful if you didn't put words in my mouth."
Are you implying I did do that, because if so, where?
I was taking issue with you in saying that people had a choice about which school they went to - I think that money confers on parents the ability to choose for their children but their children have no say in the matter. No more do they in which class they originate in and that's why I think it's strange to take pride in either of these things and ultimately divisive to do so. I realise this is a strange debate because I'm disagreeing with ideas which you are relating as those someone else might subscribe to but I still thought that my disagreement with them as ideas in themselves was worth mentioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.