thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Don’t post the revivalist stuff to appease me then, let’s have a discussion

not sure there's a discussion to be had.

if it's good and revivalist I like it if its modern and techy I like it I don't tend to expect a 30 year old genre to have a singularly ascending direction to go in. I'm not championing either at the expense of the other. Too much of one thing leads to oversaturation and stagnation in listening, imo.

dilbert1

Its not about not liking it if it isn’t jungle. But the Om Unit and Sam Binga’s way beyond jungle or techno. The other two in the quote aren’t even jungle or techno. Some kind of club music.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I'll admit they're pretty left of field, but is that a problem? They sound more dnb to me than does whatever this is

dilbert1

I don’t assume a singular ascending line, but some kind of continuity in form is obviously essential for identifying genres and artistic paradigms

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Digital and Spirit - Backlash
Vinyl Conflicts Own - Deathrow
DJ Fokus - Chill Out.

So many grey areas, that's what makes it better than the sterility of knowing exactly what it is a la most forms of house and techno.

dilbert1

Pulp Fiction is the beginning of the purge of jungle from drum n bass. Virtual Reality is hardcore jungle. Metropolis and Woodsnake are drum n bass with a foot in jungle.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Pulp Fiction is the beginning of the purge of jungle from drum n bass. Virtual Reality is hardcore jungle. Metropolis and Woodsnake are drum n bass with a foot in jungle.

this is a very internet definition. I'll roll with it. But then surely for you, there's no point about speaking of new jungle?

dilbert1

Digital and Spirit - Backlash
Vinyl Conflicts Own - Deathrow
DJ Fokus - Chill Out.

So many grey areas, that's what makes it better than the sterility of knowing exactly what it is a la most forms of house and techno.

No its easy and clear. You even listed the tunes in reverse chronological order - ‘99 dnb (yes a tad junglistic because Digital isn’t a trendhopper), ‘94 jungle (or interchangeable dnb), ‘93 hardcore jungle.

dilbert1

this is a very internet definition. I'll roll with it. But then surely for you, there's no point about speaking of new jungle?

The internet is my access to listening to the music, yes. That way, I can then classify what I’m hearing based on release dates and formal characteristics.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

dilbert1

But then surely for you, there's no point about speaking of new jungle?

What do you mean by this? There’s loads of new jungle. But it sounds like jungle! ‘Leftfield’ at least assumes a field. Tempo alone can’t define a genre, either.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
What do you mean by this? There’s loads of new jungle. But it sounds like jungle! ‘Leftfield’ at least assumes a field. Tempo alone can’t define a genre, either.

yes, it sounds like jungle because its being made by people embedded in the jungle-dnb subculture.

Otherwise it'd just sound like breakcore or pastiche jungle
whatever.