dilbert1

I didn’t feel attacked and realized you were sketching a position against which to mount an argument, a position not entirely remote from my own 🤝

dilbert1

soulless yank :D

It sounds too much like they’re showing off their keyboard collection, I’m just not into the synth:sample ratio for one. Tim Reaper has been pushing this bubbly pad arp stuff quite a lot. It might be nice here or there in a set or home chilling, but ultimately leaves me cold

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
It sounds too much like they’re showing off their keyboard collection, I’m just not into the synth:sample ratio for one. Tim Reaper has been pushing this bubbly pad arp stuff quite a lot. It might be nice here or there in a set or home chilling, but ultimately leaves me cold

I mean mix it up with rougher stuff in a set. can you mix?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I like synths and detroit techno though.

My main beef with 00s dnb was a lot of it wasn't synthy enough, just endless variations on distorted reece basslines.

0bleak

The Canadians and Americans got in on the action 5-10 years late because the sound logistically took longer to reach them, so good for them.

Not really near that much later.
There was a lot of stuff coming here either through import, licensing to other labels, or even original productions.
Not to mention stuff like this series: https://www.discogs.com/label/411212-Speed-Limit-140-BPM could be found literally everywhere even at the most boring chain stores, or places like Best Buy/Barnes & Noble/Borders back when everyone was carrying CDs.

0bleak

There were also DJs like R.A.W. and Dara releasing mixtapes pretty early on, but you basically had to be pretty deep into the scene in the largest cities to know about those, or in touch through some kind of network.

dilbert1

Not really near that much later.
There was a lot of stuff coming here either through import, licensing to other labels, or even original productions.
Not to mention stuff like this series: https://www.discogs.com/label/411212-Speed-Limit-140-BPM could be found literally everywhere even at the most boring chain stores, or places like Best Buy/Barnes & Noble/Borders back when everyone was carrying CDs.

I’m mainly talking about the ragga sound in particular. Sure, compilation CDs sustained (almost exclusive) access access for North American audiences, and I know about Dara and RAW. But because the music was at Best Buy and most people were clueless, it took longer to catch on and pass as a fad, it far outlasted ragga’s popularity in the UK scene. How much other jungle/dnb from ‘04 sounds like it wants to go back to ‘95 the way this does?

Love the rewind and scream-chatting at 1:19 the dance sounds huge

0bleak

Sure, compilation CDs sustained (almost exclusive) access access for North American audiences, and I know about Dara and RAW. But because the music was at Best Buy and most people were clueless, it took longer to catch on and pass as a fad

That kind of goes for electronic music in general.
I kind of feel like breakbeat hardcore and jungle had just as much exposure in some ways due to those and other CD compilations from other labels being in the shelves at virtually any kind of chain.
I mean, it's not like you could walk into most stores and get a good selection of any kind of the electronic music that was actually meant for DJs in the scene.
You always had to go to certain stores to get a decent selection no matter the style. That might mean maybe 1 independent store in a mid-size city that had some import vinyl along with domestic vinyl from labels like Smile or Moonshine.
This was also a fairly common release: https://www.discogs.com/master/45339-Various-Law-Of-The-Jungle or this https://www.discogs.com/release/450590-UK-Apachi-Shy-FX-Original-Nuttah - I also heard it "out of context" a couple of times where the rest of the music was either just a mixture of styles or just more techno oriented.