The Phenomenal Slavoj Zizek

grizzleb

^^ Yeah I was going to say something about that quote, but nomad has basically covered it all plus a good deal more that wouldn't have occured to me. I'm going to butt out again now as it seems pointless giving any more time to debating a guy I don't really read or care about much anymore.

(Very) ignorant question before I go though: what is the cis- thing all about?

Yeah, the relativism thing is one thing that irks me a great deal about these guys. Lambasting moral relatvism but then being heavily evasive in how you actually go about getting outside of it.

The cis-male means 'not transexual male' I think.

What do you mean by 'faith is a means of self-help" nomad? I don't think I've caught your line of thought there. Good posts though.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Yeah, the relativism thing is one thing that irks me a great deal about these guys. Lambasting moral relatvism but then being heavily evasive in how you actually go about getting outside of it.

The cis-male means 'not transexual male' I think.

Thanks.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
the cis- prefix specifically refers to someone who identifies as the gender they were born with/assigned. cis & trans are both Latin, cis meaning "on the same side" & trans meaning "opposite". i.e. cis or trans isomers in chemistry. I dunno, my approach w/gender pronouns is to go case by case. some transgender people I've known took it really seriously, some didn't. also, some preferred to just be referred to as the they gender they identified as. calling someone a cismale seems a bit like overkill when its patently obvious in the first place (i.e. just another way to identify said person as privileged, e.g. wrong) but then again I am a cis, hetero, white, middle class, etc dude, so.

also, I miss josef k.

also, w/r/t religions as music, surely Catholicism can only be Gothic? also I nominate vegan sXe HC for Calvinism.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
The same people who question whether an American sex worker can "consent" to sex work have no problem with the idea that muslim women all autonomously "consent" in their purest subjective selfhood to wearing a veil and getting stoned for the crime of being raped?

Give me a break. At least be consistent for five minutes.

What I'm talking about with the whole "faith" thing is that if you question "faith" as a material and social reality, as a set of institutionalized norms and cultural system of negotiating value/s, these Zizekian/Badiouian "Christians" (who mostly claim not to believe in God, but in Paul--- eeeuch, even worse) retreat into "oh but it comforts me in my extreme times of sorrow and tribulation-- being among the most privileged group in the world sure is soul-crushingly difficult!"

So what they've essentially done is "privatized" religious belief, as if religious belief only really affects individuals. If *I* were the one who suggested that faith is nothing more than an individual comfort...well, we all know the lambasting I'd have gotten for that.

nomadthethird

On the "cismale" point... it's only really used in discussion when you're trying to convey the privilege that is being cis rather than trans... basically, in most normal/informal conversations, even academic ones, it's not used. It's mostly used in specific cases when privilege is the topic of discussion...

nomadthethird

i want to buy a non-theory friend a few theory books, and am considering Welcome to the Desert of the Real, just because it is short, grounded in current events, and relatively lite and accessible. which would you choose for this purpose?

also in the list is Virilio's Vision Machine, that one i am certain about. any other recommendations welcome cheers

Vision Machine is a really good choice, especially if your friend is a visual artist...

Foucault's History of Sex would probably be good...not that I agree 10% with that either, but still, 'important' and interesting.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
On the "cismale" point... it's only really used in discussion when you're trying to convey the privilege that is being cis rather than trans...

In which case you might as well throw in "able-bodied" or whatever is the preferred indicator these days for not having a major disability - right? On the basis that it's another designation that would never come up other than in contrast to having a disability...

nomadthethird

In which case you might as well throw in "able-bodied" or whatever is the preferred indicator these days for not having a major disability - right? On the basis that it's another designation that would never come up other than in contrast to having a disability...

Sure, a lot of people would've thought of that. I didn't, although my personal experiences with disability have all been neurological. Watching my grandmother slowly die in a hospital bed for more than half of her life with MS, etc. Cousins with autism. So straight up classic "disability" (blindness, wheelchairs, etc.) doesn't usually jump out at me.

I know a lot of trannies, though. I've hung out with Amanda Lepore and suchlike.

Neurotypical is another good one.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
We need a word describing people who don't have a potentially fatal peanut allergy. And for people who don't have a limb or digit they can bend at a weird angle to gross people out at parties.

nomadthethird

We need a word describing people who don't have a potentially fatal peanut allergy. And for people who don't have a limb or digit they can bend at a weird angle to gross people out at parties.

Ah yes...the inclusion of those pesky "small" groups, that are actually millions large, in discourse.

What a draag, man.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
the genre you are looking for is Doom Metal.

Uh, yeah, I can see that actually...

RL001549.jpg

:eek:

Edit: the skulls with eyes still in them have an almost Mexican look to them, to my mind - perhaps a not dissimilar aesthetic?

Last edited:

scottdisco

rip this joint please
i just had a quick look at some of Chabert's comments at LENIN'S TOMB, she really goes to town on the Z-Man w some frequency, a bracing read...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i just had a quick look at some of Chabert's comments at LENIN'S TOMB, she really goes to town on the Z-Man w some frequency, a bracing read...

Am not altogether with it today, and I thought you were talking about Zhao there for a seocnd - got very confused.