rubberdingyrapids

calm down. im not saying SELL OUT! its like a transition album. hes trying to be more refined and measured and considered etc etc and thats all fine, but it seems to totally be at the expense of the interesting/exciting/funky drumwork, which is/was a big part of footwork imo.

its an interesting album, and def a departure from what he usually does, its a very hyperdub slant on footwork, and thats all cool in isolation, but yes, i think i prefer the earlier stuff, shoot me.

alex

Do not read this.
i too was a bit disappointed, it's got some wicked tracks still mind and the main 'I dont give a fuck' EP was sick

been kaning his old stuff recently, like non stop

that sample tho, i know ppl in here complaining about the soul sampling stuff but that 1 is just >>>>

also i grabbed a dj clent vs dj manny vs traxmen 4hr thing on wynu from in here ages agon have only in the last 2 weeks got round to listening to it...

1.) the track selection (especially the old chicago segment in the middle) is incredible, Clent is a serious dj

2.) manny's tunes are well underrated

3.) 4hr's 52mins i still been rewinding it, its such a good set to get lost in...if anyone can find the link then pls post it, if not i will upload it some point in the week again

alex

Do not read this.

found it

need some id's

1:55:39 - the 1 coming in after that manny track (the vocal sample)
2:43:58 - the one coming in and the 1 before, the vocal sample on the 1 coming in 'seeems i cannt' fuck offf.....
2:50:50 - now rashad n everyone play this 1 aswell, im sure it's manny but what the fuck is it...so sick, get's me everyyyytime

there's tonnes more

Benny Bunter

i think the reason i like the new rashad lp so much could be down to the heavy dj spinn presence. spinn's teklife album was really nice but is more worthy of the 'overly clean' criticisms the rashad lp is getting here. double cup seems like a perfect mix of the two producers styles to me.

thr rp boo and traxman albums from this year are great but, lets face it, sitting through them in their entirety is a bit like hard work. i mean even getting through a whole track without skipping it 1/2 way through is pretty tough.

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

i disagree. the spinn album was soulful but it still wasnt as sonically laboured as double cup. double cup sounds like it was engineered and buffed clean to death. there was still a certain lightness/spontaneity to those tek life albums. double cup sounds like its been scrubbed and polished to excess. its so *heavy*. honestly i keep thinking its rashad applying old dubstep production principles to footwork. i think thats why i find it so tiring to listen to - the textures might all be soul but the sonics are weirdly sterile and surgical.

i really like the traxman album on planet mu (and i find it enjoyable to listen to!). the recent one isnt as good but hes just a master imo. the rp book album was sequenced a bit strangely - seemed like all the best tracks dont appear until 3/4 through - a lot of his tracks seemed too underproduced imo (though i should give more listens).

Last edited:

jimitheexploder

Double Cup reminds me of Martyn in some ways, I think its those synth chord sounds he uses all over the album. They're really simular to the sounds Martyn uses on that TRG remix way back: which Rashad did a remix of too:
I like Double Cup, not as much as Teklife Vol.1 but its good in the scheme of things. I think he was going for a more chilled aproach and it works in that respect. It works better than DJ Spinn's Teklife album which felt a bit tame to me, but covers simular ground to this.

Its been pretty wicked for footwork albums this year though if Rashad's is the worst: Traxman - Teklife Vol.3: The Architek, RP Boo - Legacy, Lil Jabba - Scales. Have there been any more?

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i really like the Rashad album fwiw, and i didn't spend time analyzing it on a engineering level like it sounds like some of you lot did. It just sounds like his most catchy tunes; whereas other juke stuff just jars me after a while with it's relentless repetition ("yeah yeah i get it: you got a vocal sample and you gonna use it...").

jimitheexploder

That Artifact album is pretty wicked. I'd not got around to listening to it until now. Pretty impressed, I don't think I was expecting it to be as good as it is.

If the Rashad album had all those tracks from the EPs this year on as well as whats there already it might have pushed it right to the top of the pile for me, those EPs are killer. It does work as a full album, more so than most of the other footwork albums bar Lil Jabba, which pulls that off too. The others feel like collections of tracks in a lot of ways, yet that doesn't stop them being shit hot somehow, the highs are just too good.

alex

Do not read this.
watching the manny 'beat this' it's easy to c where they get the infectious vocal samples from...(i.e. the guys sitting next to them playing ps3), it isn't the best tune ever that he makes but w/e, clent's 1's good, couldn't get into traxmen's one

the repetitiveness of the vocals is what makes it so appealing imo, the relentlessness of them is the best. I really didn't want to agree with the opinion that the rasdhad album is overly clinical, but the more and more i listen to it against say, the below, the more and more it seems true...

http://www.junodownload.com/MP3/SF1864702-02-01-02.mp3

the album just seems a lot, mmm, happier.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i am not at all surprised that you liked it more than other juke stuff!

i really respect juke, i just dont need to listen to it all the time and on occasions i dont find much variation within it - but maybe that's just what i've encountered. i'm generally quite susceptible to repetition frustration within arrangements.

questioning the format of this rashad LP is like asking what an album actually is - or what the point of them is?

usually juke is repetitive, raw and in the mix. the sometime lack of variations within the production is counteracted by the variations made by the DJs mix and blend. taking those tracks out of a DJ context and into an album often leaves their lack of variation exposed. this is exactly the same with 8bar grime: the tracks don't do well shoe horned into an album format but mixed by slimzee with early dizzee over the top and its the best thing ever.

so that returns you to the question of what should a rashad album be? it'd be pointless as raw unmixed minimally-arranged tracks. if it was mixed it would be a mix album, not an album. hence you need to find tracks that hold their own by themselves - which is what i think they found.

rubberdingyrapids

i actually agree with all of that, but as an album its just a bit one note really, even in spite of the tracks that break up the flow like acid bit. its weird, everyone says footwork can get too much, and here is an album trying to not be 'too much' but i found it more draining than a footwork mix lol. mainly cos it just has no energy. but yeah, its the first proper footwork album-Album i think, from one of the core guys, so will be interesting to see what happens after. i think as you say, much like grime, footwork just isnt really an albums genre. i think double cup would be an awesome EP. but then making an album for many dance music producers has always been a bit of a problem. theres prob a reason zip files is still terror danjah's best 'album' imo.

Last edited: