drilla

i think he may have been referring to more of the way a lot of what they're doing with sub bass and vocal samples is reminiscent of some uk hardcore continuum tropes, without them necessarily being aware of that.. but i'd be curious to know to what extent this is actually true.

can anyone with insight into the local scene remember any particular track that started off the deep womping basslines?

staypuft

bwah bwah
yep that's what I was getting at drilla.

hopefully I can work out the kinks in my dicey knowledgebase when I take a trip to chicago and ask the hedz for a history lesson. heck, even just neema weighing in for the past few pages has been enlightening.

alex

Do not read this.
Gotta agree. When that clicky rim shot sound drops in the last half it goes from raw and relentless to kind of euphoric. Just that one set of clicks kill it. It just keeps looping and draws you in just for that shot to give you that release you crave through the track.

i just love the way (im sure it has been done before, nevertheless, it is still epic) it seems to build toward the last 32 bars, just relentless energy

edit and from that nate rips rar that was posted, 'Dj Trouble - Freeze The Burn' off of that Dj Troube mix is fucking amazing

Last edited:

grizzleb

Yeah, I was a little surprised when I read that. There's a pretty obvious/direct lineage stemming from ghetto-house, Dance Mania shit, then ghettotech/booty shit in the later 90's and 00's.

edit: was replying to 4NR on the last page, didn't see that you had moved forward.

jimitheexploder

i just love the way (im sure it has been done before, nevertheless, it is still epic) it seems to build toward the last 32 bars, just relentless energy

edit and from that nate rips rar that was posted, 'Dj Trouble - Freeze The Burn' off of that Dj Troube mix is fucking amazing

Yeah man he nails that. It just keeps rolling and those vocals keep looping and quickly switch into this spaced out almost psychedlic zone before those clicks drop. Its so simple but just kills it. 'Drop Duke Out' on that release is big too.

drilla

Yeah man he nails that. It just keeps rolling and those vocals keep looping and quickly switch into this spaced out almost psychedlic zone before those clicks drop. Its so simple but just kills it. 'Drop Duke Out' on that release is big too.

hmm where is this available, can't find in the thread

drilla

I should say again, it's not "my" mix in any way, it was already "mixed" on imeem, presumably by dj roc himself as you can hear.. it was already all there laid out in order, i just taped them individually and pasted them together, and not even that well... i only mention it again because the wording on your site makes it sound like i mixed it and that's just not the case! Thanks for hosting it though, that's awesome.. glad everyone can enjoy

synaptic

Global multinuum
The DJ Roc mix is actually his first album "Juke City The Crack Capital" released in January 2007.

l_aa2c32121f9e1a39a347697f8791dd74.jpg

benw

this mix is amazing! anyone got any links to get any of these tracks in unmixed hiquality form? junodownload? google isnt helping much.

drilla

I wish there were a way for dancers to get as much recognition (beyond locally) as producers, and as grime mcs, or whoever-- for music to be an inclusive package like that, if it calls for it...

I especially like how in some videos they flash the names up as the dancers solo... in this below zero one they did, anyway. it was like wu tang but dancers... and the way they battle is comparable to a freestyle battle.. i dunno. can feet replace the voice? can the step replace the word? i'm willing to follow it... youtube gives a unique window into it, and that's great, and probably the best way to get it out there, but still i wish videos held the same weight as mp3s, since dance is a visual art and not sonic like rhyme. i wish their release and access to them was as easy and organized as mp3. anyway

BTW I finished up that imeem pack.. if anyone missed that, pm for the link

Last edited:

staypuft

bwah bwah
I do want to bring out a few dancers for a show(case) at some point in SF.. it's such a big part of the culture it would be weird for the music to go any farther (beyond chicago) without the footwork.

like you said, it would be great if there was a little more of a framework to track the dancers, but maybe I just haven't done my homework to see what dancers belong to what groups and such.