Dissensus Cassette Swap - Unplugged

DannyL

Wild Horses
Rich's review of Matt B's cassette is now up... And thanks also to Bassbeyondreason for his review of John Eden.

tox

Factory Girl
Just put my review up.

Cheers to STN for the tape and thanks to Danny L for organising the whole thing.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Hey Benny

Thanks for review - massive bloody effort mate with all those Youtube links! Glad you liked it as much as you did. Interesting what you said about the novelty tracks at the end of Side 2 - i wondered if I'd veered too far done the path of wackiness.

I cannot for the life of me remember what the final track was.... anyway, thanks a load. :):):)

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Rich's review of Matt B's cassette is now up...

Nice review, Rich. I don't know what came over me, putting 'The Penis Song' on, but I am very pleased you like 'Patches'- everyone should own a copy.

Even Garnett Silk did a version:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The Cancer Queen song, is actually called 'Karma Queen' and is a remix of a tune by one of the Prodigy, with vocals from the singer from Skunk Anansie (sp?), believe it or not.

Last song is off the first Lemonheads lp.

Good works!

Benny Bunter

Hey Benny

Thanks for review - massive bloody effort mate with all those Youtube links! Glad you liked it as much as you did. Interesting what you said about the novelty tracks at the end of Side 2 - i wondered if I'd veered too far done the path of wackiness.

I cannot for the life of me remember what the final track was.... anyway, thanks a load. :):):)

Hey, no problem Danny. As i said in the review, I added the youtube links mainly to pad things out a bit tbh, but also to give people the chance to check out some of the songs on the tape. I find it can sometimes get quite frustrating reading a review about music that you have no access to.
Anyway, the time I spent trawling around looking for the clips turned out to be very interesting and informative and gave me a bit more to get my teeth into, so it was well worth the effort. There really is some great stuff on there that I probably would never have discovered for myself. I guess that's what its all about isn't it?

Regarding that last reggae track, its a horn driven tune that I'm guessing is called 'All I want is you', going by the chorus lyrics.

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
Ah, I have two versions of that.. (both on Moodisc), if it's a female vocal, it's Inge Larsen. I can't remember who the male cut is - Dennis Walks, maybe. Yeah, I agree with you about loads of connections to check out - your links have thrown up a couple of bits for me that I didn't know already, so cheers!

DannyL

Wild Horses
With regards to it being frustraing to read about stuff, you can't hear, I totally agree, it's a real change as I grew up in a time before technology made this possible. I think the thing I like about reading mixtape reviews is that I can then guess which things I'd like and go and buy them blind.

Benny Bunter

Love youtube. God bless all the nutters out there that upload all this rare stuff.

btw its the male vocal cut you put on the tape. Sounds very nice too from that brief snatch. :)

Benny Bunter

Also, Danny: I picked up that copy of Lone Ranger's 'M16' album the other day on your recomendation, and it is indeed a corker! Thanks again...