Dissensus Cassette Swap - Unplugged

DannyL

Wild Horses
Have listened to mine several times now and have got a review to write which I will start this evening! People can always leave comments, questions on tracks and so forth on here, should they wish, or if you don't want to write a full review for the blog. BTW I'll forward you lot the password so you can post reviews.

Next swap to go in the post tomorrow: STN vs TOX Uptown.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
got mine too- listened to first half before batteries in walkman died. been busy/drunk/hungover ever since.

lots of aural info to cogotate over. will jot stuff down when i've listened and contemplated a little more.

very good so far, rich!

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

Glad to see this is all going as planned and that my tapes gonna get reviewed. I'll try and have a go at reviewing your tape in the next week or so Danny. Been taking a few notes. Fuck knows what it'll turn out like though...

But for now I'd strongly urge people to check out Annette Peacock, someone I'd never heard of until I got this tape. I was really blown away by that one :cool:

DannyL

Wild Horses
Fuck knows what it'll turn out like though...

Funny that was exactly what I was thinking when I was making the tape!

Glad you liked the Annette Peacock, quite collectible that one, 'cos of a breakbeaty track called "Pony", but the whole LP is good (especially the Elvis cover!). I found it a record fair where the guy told me he'd reduced the price by 50% from the previous day - very happy :)

STN

sou'wester
Annette records are hard to get. Danny, your inbox is full.

I would like it to be known that when I made my tape I was enormously drunk so sorry if it's gibberish.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Quick updates made above - STN, have you got your CD yet?

Also, slackk, reeltoreel - are you guys outside the UK? Would explain why I've not got your tapes yet..

I also have a friend who hopefully will be submitting a tape which should help make up the numbers.

STN

sou'wester
I have got mine. Looks well good. Have yet to give it a spin though.

Gonna do my review after I listen to it once at home really loud and once on headphones out and about.

reeltoreel

Yes, I'm in California.

I'm surprised it hasn't arrived - the USPS seems pretty reliable. I made a copy, so I'll fling that in the post as well and one of them's sure to get there!

DannyL

Wild Horses
Reeltoreel - I got your tape just now. Looks great!

Right - I've been slacking a bit with this ..BUT...

Thanks to everyone who has particpated so far. I don't know what the fuck is up with my local post office but they appear to have lost at least two tapes/CDs (Slackk's, reeltoreel's first copy). I can only apologise. I am going to go down there this morning one week and shout at them. However, I promise that everyone who has participated is going to get a tape even if I have to crawl over broken glass to deliver it myself.

Chef Naplam, I haven't received yours yet, but the weather here has been really fucked, and I'm hoping that's the reason for the delay.

With regard to reviews, I've been slacking but I'll PM everyone the password for the site later on today. I need to finish my write up of Benny's. Remember that you can just leave some favourable comments in this thread.

Update to follow!

DannyL

Wild Horses
This is the current state of play. Tox, could you confirm you got Paul STN's tape?

DannyL DONE & RECEIVED SWAP COMPLETE
John Eden DONE & RECEIVED SWAP COMPLETE
STN DONE & RECEIVED SWAP COMPLETE
Chef Naplam DONE
IdleRich DONE & RECEIVED SWAP COMPLETE
tox DONE & RECEIVED
reeltoreel DONE & RECEIVED
bassbeyondreason DONE & RECEIVED SWAP COMPLETE
slackk DONE
Matt B DONE & RECEIVED SWAP COMPLETE
Benny B DONE & RECEIVED SWAP COMPLETE
Untied - Forthcoming

tox

Factory Girl
Safely received my tape.

Listening to it at the moment so hopefully I'll put up a brief review or comments later this week.

Benny Bunter

Nice one Danny, a well rounded review considering this isn't really your cup of tea, so to speak :) I was maybe taking a bit of a risk focussing on a single genre but you've given it a fair go, cheers.

If I was going to do this mix again I would probably chuck a load more 2step stuff in rather than letting 4x4 stuff dominate all the way. The 2001-2003 era mix on side two does get a bit relentless! (especially the Wesley Jay/Shimano section you mention) But I didn't really have the material for a full 2step mix at that point, though I have since acquired a load more since then in a job lot purchase. I think you might have liked a 2step mix better from what you said in your review- Less repetitive, more swing in the beats.

I agree with you about the stand-out tracks you mention too. If anyone reading this could identify who was behind that 'Bad Boy' tune I'd be chuffed. It kills 95% of the dubstep stuff thats about now I reckon.

Anyway, this now puts the pressure on me to get my finger out and review your tape. Soon come...

DannyL

Wild Horses
I think you're right, I'd be more into two step - some straight vocal tracks as well. One thing I didn't mention in the review, a nice moment for me in your Side 2 mix was when a piano tune drops - can't remember what it was though. It reminded me slightly of early House/Detroit stuff, It made a really nice change of sound and contrasted well with the other stuff that'd gone before - so that' s something you could think about for future mixes, I guess.

Benny Bunter

Ah... the piano track...that'd be DJ Narrows- 'Legacy (Nah-Guy-Tes-Dis)'. Great tune. Grievous Angel recently did a fantastic mix of this sort of stuff, '4x4 Hell' (pisses all over mine TBH!), as well as an amazing blogariddims one called '2step Heaven' if you ever feel like investigating further.

I'm gonna have a go at recording some 2step mixes myself soon with all my new purchases. Might even post em up here if I think they're worth it.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I have a couple more tapes which will go out today. One from Untied, (I think - name Matt, in South London?) and the other from reeltoreel. I cheekily listened to your one and I think it's f***ing excellent! Tape swappage ahoy...

So the only two I've not received are Chef Naplam and Slackk - both of whom sent copies and were lost. USELESS FUCKERS at my local GPO. Sorry guys but I'm going to make sure you get one back. Slackk did you send that replacment? Works addy if you do.

Everyone else

REVIEWS

C'mon...