Dissensus Cassette Swap - Unplugged

DannyL

Wild Horses
The more the merrier mate. I was nagging Paul STN about this as well, so hopefully he's in also. I suspect he may do Jon Eden's tape as well as he owns all his records :eek:

STN

sou'wester
John Eden has at leaste twentee-threeeee recordes that I don't owne in thee shape ov Psychick TV Live LPs.

I will do it, as long as whoever gets the tape doesn't mind me pretending they're a girl I fancy. In order to do this, I can't really have met the person I make it for, I mean, no offence but...

STN

sou'wester
What I think would be really boss is if everyone found an old comp they made for someone they fancy, or that someone made for them, copied it and chucked it in as a bonus. Or is that a great betrayal of teen love? It would be a great betrayal of my dignity, i can tell you.

martin

----
What I think would be really boss is if everyone found an old comp they made for someone they fancy, or that someone made for them, copied it and chucked it in as a bonus. Or is that a great betrayal of teen love? It would be a great betrayal of my dignity, i can tell you.

"Another Girl Another Planet" always works if the girl digs indie

martin

----
Doing mixtapes for people you fancied used to be a right chore, though. You used to think it would magically make or break the deal by letting someone know that you were able to simultaneously appreciate Culture, Nick Cave and Cock Sparrer, when the truth is they never gave a toss and probably listened to it once. But in your head, they were lying in their bedrooms, thinking, "I'm Alone in the Wilderness shows he's a lost soul who needs loving and mothering, and proves he's not a racist, The Mercy Seat proves he's a romantic who's happy to explore the intersection between life and death, and Runnin Riot means he's a bit wild and will look after me if a fight breaks out."

The worst thing about doing this tape swap is that some dubstep fan might hate side B, so it's a lot easier flinging a tape together.

STN

sou'wester
It's all true. When people grow up however, these tapes often end up in the car, fulfilling their relicky purpose.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I can't imagine putting Cocksparrer on a mix tape for someone I fancied unless that person was Nicky Crane, and then you'd have blown it by having Culture on there, wouldn't you?

(I don't fancy Nicky Crane btw - not even a little bit).

martin

----
(I don't fancy Nicky Crane btw - not even a little bit).

Bullshit. Any excuse to bring up his name.

Yeah, just wondering if Martha's coming down to that Mutoid Waste Company squat rave? And by the way, I'm not interested in her or anything, I just wanted to, er, add up how many people are going...for, er, taxi home reasons

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
LOOK just 'cos I said he looked "very macho... quite tough" on that cover of Strength through Oi, do you have to keep bringing it up?

DannyL

Wild Horses
Bump

Okay, we now have a grand total of (edit again) 12 participants (which shouldn't be too much of logistical nightmare). If you'd like to join in the fun, please express your interest here.
Sending and receiving tapes will be:

DannyL
DONE & RECEIVED
John Eden
STN
Chef Naplam
IdleRich
tox
reeltoreel
woops
bassbeyondreason
slackk
matt b DONE
Benny B DONE & RECEIVED

You should have all got a PM now confirming your participation. If you can't take part for any reason, please let me know asap. Unofficial deadline for expressions of interest is next Saturday. The plan is to get tapes in the mail to me the week following Xmas, so I will distribute in that week or the first week of the New Year depending on "slippage".

I'm going to use the list above as a master and I'll just bold names as I get the tapes.

Two things I didn't state in the PM

1) Please send me a PM when you've done your tape and put it in the mail, so I know to expect it. I'll send a reminder out nearer the time

2) Posting reviews isn't obligatory but would just be nice, would contribute to making it happen again and is basically just GOOD MANNERS. You can use this thread for brief comments/reviews, questions about tracks, thank yous etc but Chef Naplam has given me the password for the blog if people want to post more lengthy reviews. It'd be really great to get half a dozen quality reviews up there.

Here's the address if anyone hasn't seen it previously. Well worth checking out, some great music writing on there.
http://ferriteloveconnection.blogspot.com/

I'm going to use the list above as a kind of master and I'll just bold names as and when I receive a tape and put a note next to them when I send one back out, to make tracking easy.

So that's it - any more for any more?

To everyone who's expressed an interest so far, thanks a lot - have fun taping!

Last edited:

BareBones

wheezy
this sounds like loads of fun but my suspicion is that everyone here has a vastly superior record collection than me and i wouldn't be able to put anything on my compilation that the recipient doesn't already have!

john eden

male pale and stale
this sounds like loads of fun but my suspicion is that everyone here has a vastly superior record collection than me and i wouldn't be able to put anything on my compilation that the recipient doesn't already have!

Mine is quite patchy with the exception of a couple of genres. ;)

STN

sou'wester
I think everyone thinks everyone else on here has a better collection than them.

On which note, can I please not have Martin. He's heard my four good records, and he thought two of them were shit.