Radio Shows You Have Loved

luka

i didn't use to listen to much rodigan cos you could hear much better reggae shows elsewhere but he was the man for interviews. he gives the best in-depth interviews. gets so much more out of people than anyone else. also when he done special educational things. i got a few tapes from when he was doing a dub educational program. talking about how he went to king tubbys and tubby had him in the studio cutting dubs etc etc. he's an amazing man.

luka

i was also a big fan of ras lions shows. fantastic revival selection..... not as good as jesse james though in my opinion. and tamo-d when sizzla was just starting to dominate reggae music, 96, 97 times....
he always used to start the show with a bob song cos
'a marley a day keeps the evil away' matter of fact i think bobo-el-numero-uno done that too. both great hosts i think.
also ez on freek naturally.

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
I suppose it doesn't really count cos i couldn't listen live, but I used to buy tapes of the Stretch Armstrong Show with Bobbito on WKCR and love them.

There used to be a great reggae station out of Slough right at the bottom of the dial.

craner

Beast of Burden
DJ Stretch Sunday Service 102.0 Chillin FM - no better way to start a sunny Sunday in Bow.

Danny Baker on London Live is inspired.

craner

Beast of Burden
I remember hearing Peel on the radio back in 1988 when I was 10. I had just been given a walkman and I switched on the radio late at night in bed...and it was Peel playing some arty Goth shit. I found it really sinister and unsettling! 4 years later, in a boarding school in the Brecon Beacons, his Friday evening and Saturday afternoon R1 shows (and Andy Kershaw) became something of a lifeline. In fact, Radio 1 in the mid-90s was pretty good. Apart from obvious wankers like Nicky Campbell and Simon Mayo, Tim Westwood was brilliant, and lunch with Lisa I'Anson was a treat. If you haven't read this, by the way, you should, because 1. it's fucking hilarious and 2. it partly explains why we had to endure trash like Shed 7 and Sleeper for a while.

craner

Beast of Burden
The Gaunty phone ins on BBC London held a grim fascination between 2001-3. Although Vanessa Felt was a brilliant replacement. Vanessa is the Queen of talk radio. Talking of talk radio, Talk Radio is apparently quite vile. Does anyone listen to it?

Um...

Just a Minute.

Hancock's Half Hour.

I've just realised how much I love my radio.

craner

Beast of Burden
Robert Elms. Wanker.
John Humphries. Wanker.
Nicky Campbell. Twat.
Gaunty. Sinister balls.
Janice Long. Soothing.
Jeremy Vine. Overrated.
Jools Holland. Disgrace.
Mark Radcliffe and Stuart Macconie. Hateful.
Mark Goodier. Baffling.
Steve Lamacq. Wanker. Worst musical taste in the world.
Steve Wright. GENIUS.
Verity Sharp. Goddess.

craner

Beast of Burden
Mixing It on Radio 3 used to be fantastic if only for the unintentionally hilarious analysis/banter of Robert Sandall and Mark Russell.

luka

F R I S K Y ! !
how did i forget one man radio genius frisky dj from de ja, scandalous...
i too had a phase of listening to gaunty, for the few years i worked as a painter and decorator. very disturbing. the first pirate i ever got into was centreforce/ anyone remember them? kids at primary school used to talk about it a lot. big brothers i spose. it sounded really really incredible, very haunting and alien.
anyone remember mc stingray from kools early days? he was synonomous with kool back then. i really really enjoyed knights of the roundtable too. very infectious entertainers.

craner

Beast of Burden
I blame that obese oaf Chris Moyles for the rapid decline of youth culture in the UK. The man's like an enormous boil on our island's visage. To think he had the nerve to call Nicola Roberts ugly. What could be uglier than Chris Moyles? He oozes ugliness. He could have a whole chapter in Umberto Eco's tome On Ugliness. Awful.

luka

although i like quite a few of the songs they play on heavy rotation (ain't nobody etc)
i can't stand magic and heart. it reminds me too much of long grinding days working for builders who would play nothing else. if you listen to those stations for 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week for a couple of years you too will ahte them and everyone associated with them. (ex childrens tv presenters mostly, toby anstis, pat sharpe etc)

craner

Beast of Burden
You should only listen to Heart and Magic before going out on the weekend when they play all the old disco and 80s soul hits. That's the only function of those stations. Oh, and those 'Guess the Year' phone-in competitions in the morning, they seem to be quite important. I quite like those. I always get it right too.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Can I get any love for Mike Allan's Hip Hop show on Capital? Must've been more than 20 years ago now....he was kind of like your friendly Hip Hop uncle. Much better than Dave Pearce on GLR - always came over as an insincere tosser.

Pretty much anything on Kiss was choice back in the day but I particularly liked Coldcut's show. Used to be on early Friday evening after Danny Rampling if memory serves. Madhatters Trevor, Norman Jay's original Rare Groove show and loads more.

There was also a wicked pirate called Starpoint for a year or so in the late 80s sometime. I remember a DJ called Wilbur Wilberforce. They used to play a really diverse range of stuff - only pirate I knew that played world music, and had the most ludicrous jingles.

Going way back... Westwood on LWR. Mon-Fri 4-6, especially to catch the schoolkids. Used to go round a mate's on the way home from school and practise our breaking when that was on.

I used to really like Robert Elm's show as I had a packing job at the time and used to check it out while wrapping me parcels. Interesting chat, good tunes, and when he's holding the mic rather than facing it, he's okay. Interviewed our own John Eden once if memory serves.

craner

Beast of Burden
Kool FM, the Sunday after 9/11, whoever was doing the morning jungle show elected to play mournful LTJ Bukem records for the entire 2 hours. It was oddly touching.

Robert Elms interviewed Simon Reynolds about Energy Flash. They didn't seem to get on:

"I was interviewed by Robert Elms on his GLR show, and during a desultory interrogation, with one eye kept on the Test Match playing on a little TV above the studio console, the former doyen of the style bibles opined that as far as he was concerned, house and techno had been the death of the British working class's love affair with black dance music. Like everybody else from a certain mid-Eighties moment in style culture/London clubland, Elms seemed to have imagined that rare groove/"the jazz revival"/go-go should have just have extended itself in perpetuity: a Thousand Year Reich of refinement and righteousness.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Late Junction, R3

World Routes, R3 (love Lucy Duran)
and Andy Kershaw before his, er, fall from grace

107.5 WGCI - "Chicago's Hip-Hop and R&B" - some great jingles

some early 90's jungle pirate that came out of Moss Side, i only phoned in once and forget what i asked for, name escapes me

Stu Allan on Mcr's Piccadilly Key 103 when i were a lad.

my mate told me Lamacq was a sleaze the night she looked after him at Tunbridge Wells Forum

craner

Beast of Burden
Luke and I and a couple of our mates texted a pirate radio station after one two many bottles of Nigerian Guinness a few years ago. He got really vexed because one of the MCs misread it and called him Luka Vandress. Ha ha! He didn't find it very funny, though. He was like, "you don't understand Craner, my reputation is now in tatters across the FM dial! I will never be able to show my face in Rhythm Division ever again!"

luka

how can you get that wrong though? incidently theres a ruff squad set on grimetapes with a lovely shout to bobby bisto, which is my real name (luka vandross being an alias, as if you hadn't guessed)
thank you lee....