Radio Shows You Have Loved

DannyL

Wild Horses
The one-off's and takeover shows were often some of the best things on kiss. There's a great Weatherall and friends one from around 1993. I think the slot was called 'Giving It Up'.

You don't mean the late night one that Weatherall did with Bobby Gillespe do you? That was an amazing show, stayed up late so I could record it all, it was so good .... then the tape travelled around my circle of friends for months (never got it back :( )

I tried writing down the tracks a while back. I'll post them if I remember.

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
Also, you don't say *why* the Mixing It guys crack you up. They make me laugh as well, but I'm not sure if it's for the right reasons.

STN

sou'wester
my mate used to have a great tape of a Gilles Petersen show with whichever DJ Food on it. It had a sample of Rod Steiger talking, from The Pawnbroker, and a Jack Dejohnette record...

Client Eastwood

Very fond memories of listening to Peel and Robbie Vincent at 10.00 on an old Telefunken transister radio. (Telefunken has to be the best brand name ever)

Earlier still Jimmy Saville show on Sunday afternoon playing all 60's stuff.

Oh and

Pirates in Leeds
WBLS
Peoples FM

KISS FM tapes and Picadilly FM (MCR) tapes being circulated amonst friends

jambo

slip inside my schlafsack
You don't mean the late night one that Weatherall did with Bobby Gillespe do you?
Yeah quite possibly, it's around on das web somewhere.
DannyL said:
Also, you don't say *why* the Mixing It guys crack you up. They make me laugh as well, but I'm not sure if it's for the right reasons.
Mostly I enjoy the bickering.

msoes

luka that ras lion tape you gave me is great, i'm listening to it now in fact. i can upload it if anyone wants.

when i was 12 i used to listen to ugly phils hot hits pretty much every night. i've been trying to find an old cassette to see what it was like. probably quite embarrassing

luka

oh i didnt even know i had one of his tapes in australia to be honest. you need to tell me whats good on sydnye radio.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Don't suppose anyone bothered listening to the Prodigy's guest show on Radio 1 earlier on tonight? I actually enjoyed it a lot, the played stuff by Human Resource and Urban Shakedown plus quite a few other ardcore tracks which I didn't know, but which sounded really good. Also put on Gangsters by the Specials which is always nice. Oh, and Tenor Saw - Ring the Alarm, which I suspect is a really well-known old reggae track, but again was new to me.

tom lea

I think he's on Talk Sport now. If anyone is listening to him, and you want a laugh, ring him up and make some reference to transvestites.
yeah, Gaunt was great back in the day. totally insane. he recently got sacked from talk sport for calling the studio guest a nazi. seriously.

Last edited:

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
Mixing It on Radio 3 used to be fantastic if only for the unintentionally hilarious analysis/banter of Robert Sandall and Mark Russell.

They continue with their daft pontification on ResonanceFM, the beeb made them change the title of that show no less. The musics good though.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Starting to get seriousy into Mary-Anne Hobbes' R1 show (still want to call it the Breeze Block, sign of getting old?) again. Reckon if anything is going to get me properly interested in dubstep, this is it ;). Also kicked off this week's show with a really excellent, quite long dubplate track from Wiley.

Embarassing self-disclosure time: I find her voice quite sexy. The timbre always gives off that vibe of her being heavily stoned, but that's prob just me. But definately suits the whole very-late-night situation, soothing.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Anyone know of any good pirate stations broadcasting in the Glasgow/West of Scotland area? Should I start one myself? :D

mms

sometimes
my fave bits of radio that i've taped are when i used to tape things like national fresh and it went into john peel at the end, or when i'd set up the tape player to record some boring genre show and it would quickly go into john peel, that furious change between a show that was good but about genres, and had been on for a couple of hours, into the peel show, highlighted by his voice into the mic and some totally, unexpected music was great.

run_time

Groovetech Radio (RIP) used to be a real treasure trove of listening pleasure...can remember getting particular pleasure out of Weatherall's show but there were plenty of others that brought a smile to my face. would love to have access to the old recordings, a Xmas special by Weatherall sticks particularly in my memory

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Anyone know if there are any shows on 1Xtra that are worth listening to regularly?
Been checking it out more often than usually over the last week or two, to see if I'm missing anything; it's mildly diverting, but nothing's really jumped out and grabbed my interest yet. Probably my favourite moment so far was in the middle of a dancehall mix at about 3 a.m., when an mc started to sound increasingly like a Dalek as the track progressed. Whether intentionally or not I can't say. Hooray for insomnia :D .

craner

Beast of Burden
From Tony Blackburn's show this morning, during a phone-in competition:

Tony: "And we have on the line, Jackie from Essex! How are you Jackie?"

Jackie from Essex: "I'm just getting ready to go out! I'm half-dressed!"

Tony: "Oh, yes. Which half, Jackie?"

Jackie from Essex: (silence)

shaolinsoul

Best shows on Freeze fm. back in 03.

Musical Mob - Dynamic M hosting.

Black Ops, Jon E cash and crew.

Nasty Crew, NJ Fever.