Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
My mum's corned beef curry

Jean Hollands' Corned Beef Curry

I don't know the origins of this; whether this was a war-time recipe or whether it came from my dad in Hong Kong originally, or whether my mum just made it up, but it's the one thing that unites all of my family now our parents are dead. Except for one of my brothers. But he's a contrary freak.

Anyway thought I'd write it out given there's like this curry thing going on here. Apologies if anyone makes it and thinks it's gross, but only met one person who did and (see my brother above).

Ingredients :

2 x tins corned beef
2 (or 3) x medium sized potatoes
1 x small tin concentrated tomato puree
1 x onion
1 x clove of garlic
1 x bay leaf
1 x tbsp of olive oil
Curry powder ( I use Pataks Medium or Hot)

(optional)
Pickapeppa sauce
Scotch Bonnet chilli
Butter

Heat the oil and add the onion, cook over medium heat until the onion's soft. Add a good dollop of curry powder and mix well. Open tins of corned beef and add to the onions, breaking up the corned beef and taking care not to burn it, you may want to reduce the heat slightly at this point. Add 1/2 to 3/4 of a tin of tomato puree. Mix well. Slice the potatoes, add them to the corned beef and cover with water, not too much though, just cover. Add whole garlic clove and bay leaf. Bring to boil then turn down to lowest heat. Cook until potatoes are cooked through. Boil rice.

This was my mum's original recipe I think anyway, it was how I remember it. I now add a good dosh of Pickapeppa sauce while cooking, and bosh in a Scotch Bonnet as well cos I like the heat.

When eating, we dolloped the curry onto the rice and then added a nob of butter onto the curry.

It's super easy and super salty and super yum, and pretty much everyone I know who has eaten it will testify to it, it's not what you think it is. It would probably be my ultimate comfort food, aside from strawberry Nesquik.

My favourite is making too much and then having it cold on toast the next morning. Fucking killer.

viktorvaughn

I can imagine that being really nice, i always have a tin of corned beef in the cupboard, it's well nice. I love sarnies with english mustard and lettuce and corned beef.

grizzleb

I think it could definitely be served with pastry - make a curry (chicken?), then fire it in a plait of puffy pastry. Could be decent...

Been getting into Curry Calzone recently, awesome if done correctly (i.e not too much cheese). Feel like such a manky bastard eating it but I'm yet to find a better drunk munch.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Curry calzone, yes!

Continuing the 'fusion' theme, I made a jalfrezi shepherd's pie around this time last year, which was EPIC. I may well have mentioned it on here. Have to do that again soon...

Guacamolay

Oh,a nd if anyone has tips for what to do with black pudding. I've just been frying it with....pomegranate molasses.

Black pudding is a tricky one - not much goes with it well in my experience.
I've made black pudding and brie sandwiches before, which weren't bad.

(btw first post on this forum! No idea why I chose to make it here..)

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Black pudding is a tricky one - not much goes with it well in my experience.
I've made black pudding and brie sandwiches before, which weren't bad.

(btw first post on this forum! No idea why I chose to make it here..)

hi!

i love your user name :cool:

mos dan

fact music
thoughts on aphrodisiacal/romantic food combos?

i've been told by a female of my acquaintance that shellfish is sorta sexy.. i've had a *cough* good reception to razor clams (flash fried with sherry and garlic) and squid (with chorizo).

any other other suggestions? i guess it has to be sort of light and fresh and go well with wine, as a general rule..

something a bit gutsy or offally or shellfishy, where you really have to *coughs again* get stuck in..

mos dan

fact music
also, keep the nduja recs coming - i went and (FINALLY, on the second attempt) found the Calabria stall that sells it at borough market the other saturday.

so far i have used it in mashed potato (awesome), spread it on toast (awesome), and used it in a bog standard pasta tomato sauce (awesome).

also cooked squid with it (awesome).

Krasner

also, keep the nduja recs coming

I've never tried nduja but it sounds relativley similar to Sobrassada which I can't get enough of.

I made a rendang using this recipe yesterday. Took about 3 hours to cook but totally worth the wait. One of the richest and most intensly flavoured curries i've ever had. Served with home made rotis and red onion salad it was sublime.

S

simon silverdollar

also, keep the nduja recs coming - i went and (FINALLY, on the second attempt) found the Calabria stall that sells it at borough market the other saturday.

so far i have used it in mashed potato (awesome), spread it on toast (awesome), and used it in a bog standard pasta tomato sauce (awesome).

also cooked squid with it (awesome).

scrambled eggs. definitely, definitely try it in scrambled eggs.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Salad of:
matchsticked daikon (white radish), carrot and spring onion
coriander leaves and toasted almonds
dressing of wine vinegar with a little bit of soy, sesame oil and muscovado sugar.

Bit of a winner, and the first time in ages that something's come out almost exactly as I'd imagined it before I've started cooking.

Served up with stir fried brocolli w. red onion, ginger and soy (I don't know why brocolli and red onion work so well together but they do) and plain boiled rice, which I've so completely lost the ability to cook properly in the last few months I'm beginning to think I've undergone some spectacularly specific brainwipe at the hands of the culinary men in black.

S

simon silverdollar

that sounds great ! will definitely try it. i think crisp salads in winter are doing a lot - getting a bit bored of typical winter stodge now.

did something quite similar the other day - shredded raw fennel and white cabbage, with just slightly-cooked cauliflower, with a dressing made from olive oil, toasted sesame seeds, pomegranate molasses and lime juice.

i had it with a kind-of pilaf - rice oven cooked with ras al hanout and cinnamon. was nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Ooh, sounds good. I keep meaning to get some pomegranate molasses - if only because it's one of those things that people whinge about fancy recipes using even though they don't sell it in tesco metro, but I can currently buy it within a few hundred yards of my house. But I'm never sure what I'd actually do with it...