Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

nochexxx

harco pronting
inspired by Pete UM's Levi Roots goat curry i decided to have a go myself. in order to cater for my own taste i amped up the heat with another bonet and felt it needed a lot more lime then then the recipes states. great dish, i love one pot recipes!

bruno

est malade
nochexxx and silverdollar your food tips are excellent, i have taken note.

my contribution is leche asada, a sort of chilean crème brûlée. you will need an oven, a deep metal pan, a large bowl, five large eggs (or six normal eggs), a litre of milk and a cup of sugar. preheat the oven, spread the cup of sugar on the pan and stir over low fire with wooden spoon, spread the sugar on the surface until it browns and eventually turns liquid. you may leave the container in the oven to even out the caramel while you mix the other ingredients. add milk and eggs to bowl and beat until uniform, less uniform is also attractive. pour mix on the caramel base and cook in oven for thirty minutes with heat directed to the middle. remove and let cool, cover with foil, refrigerate, serve chilled. enjoy.

PeteUM

It's all grist
inspired by Pete UM's Levi Roots goat curry i decided to have a go myself. in order to cater for my own taste i amped up the heat with another bonet and felt it needed a lot more lime then then the recipes states. great dish, i love one pot recipes!

Funnily enough I had this again tonight. I would dispute the need for another scotch bonnet as typical extreme-seeking Nochexxx freakery.

nochexxx

harco pronting
i wouldn't recommend adding another bonet unless you like it extremely hot.
my far east roots kicking in.

actually by my standards, even with two bonnets, it's still not OTT.

PeteUM

It's all grist
I know. It's just that, for me, another chilli would mean that all those other flavour combinations would be subsumed under a dominant flavour called PAIN.

S

simon silverdollar

bought some razor clams at the weekend. they're ace - well cheap, look cool, and taste delicious.

here's what i did - thinly sliced courgettes (using one of those wide potato peelers), fried them in olive oil and garlic.

simmered the razor clams in a covered pan with a bit of white wine with parsley and garlic. the clams are cooked when they open. don't eat any that don't open.

add double cream, lemon zest and lemon juice to the courgettes. boil to thicken.

remove the clams from the shells. chop up the bit that doesn't look like a creature from a david lynch film into small bits (you'll know what this bit is)...you should have a lot of pieces that look just like small penne pasta - these are the bits you want.

add the clams to the courgette and cream sauce. add some of the wine from the pan that had the clams. warm through.

add to pasta and eat!

really nice and pretty quick.

oh, and i almost forgot to say - razor clams are ALIVE when you buy they - they squirm about out of their shells, white tendrils looking for food. takes a bit of getting used to, but i guess it's nice to eat something so fresh.

Last edited by a moderator:

mos dan

fact music
oh, and i almost forgot to say - razor clams are ALIVE when you buy they - they squirm about out of their shells, white tendrils looking for food. takes a bit of getting used to, but i guess it's nice to eat something so fresh.

this scared the freaking bejesus out of me the first time i bought them, as no-one had told me. i was cleaning the sand off under the tap, and then noticed the thing sort of pulsing.. i screamed like a girl, dropped it, and jumped about a foot in the air. housemates came running in to see if i'd accidentally chopped my own arm off.. which meant i could then freak them out with the same thing.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
that sounds a really good recipe. The guy who wrote the recipe wisely says to use less cloves...I've never understood the amount of cloves rcommended in some recipes. Same with fenugreek. Both of them take over a dish unless you're very sparing.

STN

sou'wester
that sounds a really good recipe. The guy who wrote the recipe wisely says to use less cloves...I've never understood the amount of cloves rcommended in some recipes. Same with fenugreek. Both of them take over a dish unless you're very sparing.

Oh does he? didn't see that bit, should have taken his advice really. I also used slightly less chili, but think I'll use 30-odd next time. In fairness, the cloves didn't actually take over, they just meant that when I tasted the broth as it was cooking I had a coughing fit, was basically fine in the end, when poured over rice. I would definitely recommend this recipe though.

nochexxx

harco pronting

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
My dinner tonight was curried black pudding. Oh yes. Not bad, but I used Thai yellow curry paste - think it would have been better with green.

Viva fusion cuisine!

STN

sou'wester
I think 'cilantro' is just American for coriander.

it is, yeah, though oddly the recipe asks for 'ciltrano leaves' but 'ground coriander'.

Grizzle - where do you live? it can also be done using lamb.

edit: it was black cardamom that gave me a bit of a headache to acquire, I got it from the Indian-run spice shop on Stoke Newington High Street, but the chap who blogged the recipe says it's more common in Vietnamese and Chinese cuisine, so might be easy to get in the relevant supermarkets.

nochexxx

harco pronting
I’ve been tapping my indian brothers for a proper fish curry recipe. no idea what the measures should be though.

Keluaran Fish Curry

+ turmeric / chilli powder in pan (no oil)

once brown remove onto plate and set aside

in same pan add oil

+ onion, garlic, ginger, chilli

once brown

+ mustard powder and the remainder of turmeric / chili powder

+ water

+ tamarind, chopped tomato and fresh coriander

+ pieces of white fish

season to taste

+squeeze of lime or lemon

serve with roti or rice.

Last edited: