Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
sounds great - tamarind and tomato is a great combination. so turmeric and chili powder go in first without oil? that's a new technique i never woulda figured out - thanks

nochexxx

harco pronting
sounds great - tamarind and tomato is a great combination. so turmeric and chili powder go in first without oil? that's a new technique i never woulda figured out - thanks

yeah i had to ask twice about that. according to my man it makes everything "taste better". i'd be worried about it sticking to the pan, will try and see.

and the best tamarind to use is the dry rehydrated version, but the sticky paste stuff will suffice.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I think 'cilantro' is just American for coriander.
Yeah.

See also eggplant for aubergeine, zuccini for courgette, argula for rocket (this one confused me for ages)...

AFAICT the UK terms are pretty uniformly derived from the french (which makes sense given that we've historically tended to defer to the french on gastronomic matters) whereas the US ones are a bit more of a hodgepodge, presumably based on which culture's cooking has the most visible use of that ingredient in the US? With coriander seeds not really having a particular link so the anglo-french gets used by default...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well that was a bit better - I literally spiced up the curry I had left from last night with turmeric, dried chili, cayenne pepper, coriander seed and cumin (a pretty random selection more or less reflecting what I had in the cupboard). I think the paste was just not very strong. Next time I'll used the really strong authentic green paste I've got lurking at the back of the fridge.

Anyone here tried making their own Thai-style curry paste from scratch? I've done it a couple of times, it's a bit of work because it has lots of ingredients but it's really worthwhile. Once I made some that I used for a curry that night, thinking "Hmm yeah, this is quite good" and left the rest in the fridge under clingfilm. Came home two nights later from the GBBF, steaming drunk and hungry as a motherhugger, and made another curry with the rest of the paste...the combination of ultra-munchies with the curry paste having been allowed to mature a bit and get that much more pungent made for an INTENSE eating experience. If my housemate with the bedroom next to the kitchen was awake at the time he probably thought something totally obscene was going, which in a sense it was...

grizzleb

Got some stuff for the goat curry. Even got proper goat meat, glasgow does not bad surprisingly. Cheap as too. Looking forward to it!

grizzleb

Goat curry really is foolproof. Used a jamaican spice mix that had allspice and stuff in it, tasted great. Really lovely flavour. I'd recommend making the rice and peas with coconut milk too, counterbalances the heat and pungent flavour of the curry.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
For dinner tonight I kind of accidentally invented a sort of upside-down fisherman's pie, only with sweet potatoes instead of regular ones and with a grilled parmesan crust on top. I'll make it again some time, it was fucking lush.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
For dinner tonight I kind of accidentally invented a sort of upside-down fisherman's pie, only with sweet potatoes instead of regular ones and with a grilled parmesan crust on top. I'll make it again some time, it was fucking lush.

yum.

reminds me that i used to make shepherd's pie but with loads of spices (cumin, coriander, ginger, cinnamon etc) mixed into the lamb....that is this weekend's food sorted.... might try it with sweet potatoes, as you suggest.

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
Goat curry really is foolproof. Used a jamaican spice mix that had allspice and stuff in it, tasted great. Really lovely flavour. I'd recommend making the rice and peas with coconut milk too, counterbalances the heat and pungent flavour of the curry.

Where did you get goat meat from in this town? Keen to give the curry goat a try in the coming weeks. Don't know if I can be arsed with the full on rice & peas recipe though, cooking rice is a big enough pain in the arse as it is.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Where did you get goat meat from in this town? Keen to give the curry goat a try in the coming weeks. Don't know if I can be arsed with the full on rice & peas recipe though, cooking rice is a big enough pain in the arse as it is.

***Edit: this post for the benefit of cobretti should he ever feel the need to make goat curry while on a trip to London, and anyone else who lives here and likes the idea*** :eek:

I've never bought it myself, but the many Middle-Eastern/African-run butcher's shops around Peckham Rye station look like a good bet. Seriously, the whole of Rye Lane is almost nothing but butchers-cum-fishmongers-cum-greengrocers (er, so to speak!) and mobile phone shops - often there's a little phone-accessory kiosk inside the butcher's, it's crazy.

Last edited:

grizzleb

I didn't bother using any excess ingredients. What I did was use coconut milk instead of water when making the rice, and stuck a tin of kidney beans in also. I think this added a shitload to the dish. Levi root's recipe was way too complicated, the coconut milk done enough IMO.

Goat was obtained from a wee asian butchers on Great Western Road, 2 secs from Kelvinbridge underground, heading back towards town. 6 bucks a kilo. Says "goat" quite clearly on the sign outside too.

Last edited:

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
I didn't bother using any excess ingredients. What I did was use coconut milk instead of water when making the rice, and stuck a tin of kidney beans in also. I think this added a shitload to the dish. Levi root's recipe was way too complicated, the coconut milk done enough IMO.

Goat was obtained from a wee asian butchers on Great Western Road, 2 secs from Kelvinbridge underground, heading back towards town. 6 bucks a kilo. Says "goat" quite clearly on the sign outside too.

Solly's? The African place? The only proper butchers I know on Gt Western Road is the red & white (classic) one that sells the steak pies etc, and is def not an asian butchers. Will give Solly's a try, a bit sketchy that place though. Daryl & Ross stayed above there and had a heavy rat infestation.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I too am a convert to Levi Roots curry recipe though this time I used mutton instead. Absolute winner, hopefully Rich will vouch for its tastiness. I didn't follow his instructions at the end because I didn't have time but it was still superbloody tasty. Going to do it again with goat in a week or two's time.

nochexxx

harco pronting
everybody here has become goat curry mad, recipes dangerous. pete um cooked it for me a second time (this time with GOAT!) and i'm probably going to cook the darn thing again tonight. i guess 'all spice berries' are the crack cocaine of the cooking world. :eek:

STN

sou'wester
I'm having it again tonight (my Rajasthani one, this is), it's a good winter warmer with all those cloves. Not sure what to drink with it though. A bold badger ale? A strident Malbec?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Anyone got any other winter warmers?

I have a recipe somewhere for Iranian chicken stew with dried limes, celery, split peas...and God knows what else, so I'm gonan have to find that recipe.

Bigos is always good - Polish sausages, sauerkraut, paprika, juniper berries, tomatoes/good tomato paste, garlic etc etc

viktorvaughn

***Edit: this post for the benefit of cobretti should he ever feel the need to make goat curry while on a trip to London, and anyone else who lives here and likes the idea*** :eek:

I've never bought it myself, but the many Middle-Eastern/African-run butcher's shops around Peckham Rye station look like a good bet. Seriously, the whole of Rye Lane is almost nothing but butchers-cum-fishmongers-cum-greengrocers (er, so to speak!) and mobile phone shops - often there's a little phone-accessory kiosk inside the butcher's, it's crazy.

I get my goat from a halal butchers in hoxton, it's near the roundabout with the kids statue pointing down hoxton st. I'm sure Ridley Rd in Dalston must have it too and other places in Dalston (which is pretty similar to Peckham I guess).

DannyL

Wild Horses
everybody here has become goat curry mad, recipes dangerous. pete um cooked it for me a second time (this time with GOAT!) and i'm probably going to cook the darn thing again tonight. i guess 'all spice berries' are the crack cocaine of the cooking world. :eek:

Allspice/pimento is one of the flavourings that defines Jamaican cooking - as is thyme and Scotch bonnet chillis - its them that give jerk marinades their distinctive taste.

grizzleb

Solly's? The African place? The only proper butchers I know on Gt Western Road is the red & white (classic) one that sells the steak pies etc, and is def not an asian butchers. Will give Solly's a try, a bit sketchy that place though. Daryl & Ross stayed above there and had a heavy rat infestation.
Was probably in there mate, was a bit weird in there aye, but fuck it, you're cooking it for 4 hours. Seemed to have lots of business too, so can't see it being that dodgy.

Make sure you get the coconut milk mang. Subtle but worth it.

And aye, I'll defo be making the goat curry again. Woke up with a heavy hankering for some, too good and easy and cheap.