Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

you

can I be the first one to suggest a spit roasting a lean spice girl?

.....a trio of sugarbabes for dessert?

(we can do this all night)

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I'd like to make a nice and warming eastern soup from scratch. Waitrose has loads of nice ones in pots - ...*goes off to amazon*..

I'd have to dig out the exact recipe, but there's a lovely Iranian one with chicken, split peas, dried limes and quince. That's pretty much it iirc, though may be another couple of spices (quince is fried in butter first of all, then added, i think).

you

baboon - dig it out!

yeah those pork cheek tacos do look good - it's a pretty inspiring blog all round, I want to hang out with her!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
My girlfriend got this totally BOSS Iranian recipe from this half-Iranian friend of hers. You sear some big pieces of duck (skin-on) in oil then put then a big pot with a sauce made from stock, pulverized walnuts and pomegranate molasses. Flavour with lime juice and black pepper. Cook until tender. There might be onions involved somewhere too, can't remember. Fuck, I'm salivating at the very thought of it...

I was so into the idea of steak/ale/mushroom pie last night that I nipped out for ingredients and made one. I was impatient so I think I should have cooked the beef (stewing beef, of course) for a bit longer before putting the pastry on top and baking it, but it was still fucking lush. I flavoured it with garlic, Worcestershire, rosemary, lots of pepper and fresh sage and made a quick gravy from beef stock, fried onions and mushrooms, plus some blackberries and elderberries I still having knocking about in the freezer. The sauce for the beef/mushroom mixture was a half-n-half mix of gravy and Wychwood Hobgoblin - which stood in well for Old Peculier, as the Co-op had none. Pretty good, although next time I do it I'll start cooking a lot earlier so as to have time for the meat to get a bit more tender.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Sounds like fesenjan, if I'm not mistaken. Iranian ex-housemate made me some once - amazing.

There's an Iranian restaurant between Covent Garden and Leicester Sq that does these type of dishes very well. Highly recommended, and good to work out exactly how they've made it. the lamb and lime stew is delicious. Went for a date there with a canadian-iranian girl, who sadly turned out to be bonkers.

viktorvaughn

My girlfriend got this totally BOSS Iranian recipe from this half-Iranian friend of hers. You sear some big pieces of duck (skin-on) in oil then put then a big pot with a sauce made from stock, pulverized walnuts and pomegranate molasses. Flavour with lime juice and black pepper. Cook until tender. There might be onions involved somewhere too, can't remember. Fuck, I'm salivating at the very thought of it...

I was so into the idea of steak/ale/mushroom pie last night that I nipped out for ingredients and made one. I was impatient so I think I should have cooked the beef (stewing beef, of course) for a bit longer before putting the pastry on top and baking it, but it was still fucking lush. I flavoured it with garlic, Worcestershire, rosemary, lots of pepper and fresh sage and made a quick gravy from beef stock, fried onions and mushrooms, plus some blackberries and elderberries I still having knocking about in the freezer. The sauce for the beef/mushroom mixture was a half-n-half mix of gravy and Wychwood Hobgoblin - which stood in well for Old Peculier, as the Co-op had none. Pretty good, although next time I do it I'll start cooking a lot earlier so as to have time for the meat to get a bit more tender.

poimegranite molasses are very nice and can go in cocktails and salads too.

cauliflower and chickpea with preserved lemon and tahini dressing is delish with a dollop...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
also some tomato sauces for pasta benefit from a little - esp when you have aubergines etc in the sauce already.

and salad dressings (goes well in dressing for fattoush) Edit: ah sorry, you said that already

and with lamb.

and as a change from lemonade, pom molasses, sugar, water, with a little salt.

it's my favourite ingredient in the entire world,i think. one supermarket on green lanes has about five different makes. i almost took a picture.

Last edited:

nochexxx

harco pronting
this is probably really obvious but i honestly thought i’d made it up. turns out to be a celebrated classic. tomato, chorizo & butterbeans soup is awesome. i was lucky cos i had uber ripe tomatoes lying about. fry the chorizo with onions and garlic, then add a bit of thyme. chuck in the tomatoes, stew for while and blend it all together with loads of parsley. eat with stale bread. yum

S

simon silverdollar

shout out to Quality Foods vegetable samosas; you can get then in just about every corner shop in London, they're so cheap, and they're bloody delicious. They're a vital and largely unsung part of London's infrastructure.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
interesting. Can imagine it good really cold...

Have you had that weird Turkish salted turnip juice?

yeah, it's fantastic. adding salt and pepper to such drinks is a trick i learned from that book 'taste'.

nope, have seen it but never indulged. i probably should rediscover turnips....

grizzleb

Tried that turnip stuff, couldn't hold back my disgust at what tasted like a mouthful of salty salty vinegar. Eurgh.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I consider myself fairly catholic in my tastes but I have to say, the phrase "weird salty turnip juice" doesn't exactly leap out at me at something I'm desperate to try...

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I've not had it myself, but I don't know anyone who's tried it and liked it, including people who are normally into unusual food and drink.