Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

muser

I'll vouch for roasted cauliflower with cumin & other spices, definitley a favourite. Another good cauliflower one Is a italian pasta dish where you fry up garlic, anchovies in olive oil untill they disintegrated and chilli flakes, then mashup steamed cauliflower in it with a fork. add parsely at the end. Really simple but its a great.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
@muser made exactly the same last night except with broccoli. Added a bit of lemon juice and lemon zest too - not sure how much difference it made though, since anchovies had been marinated in vinegar already.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I suspect red onions would go well in that, too. Red onions + broccoli + lemon juice + garlic + olive oil = instant win.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Nice one - will give it a go next time I make it. Thought about roasting the broccoli to make more of a sweet-sour-umami dish, but couldn't be bothered yesterday. Onions could be roasted too, in fact.

Have pared it down to broccoli/lemon/olive oil in the past when I've had nothing in the house, and that's worked surprisingly well.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/04/orecchiette-with-broccoli-anchovies-chiles-recipe.html - meant to go with orecchiete traditionally, but i'm not sure how much i buy the difference between different types of pasta...penne worked just fine

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Thinking back to an earlier bit of the thread about winter cooking, I find this:
http://www.eattheseasons.co.uk/weekbyweek/45.htm
quite useful.

I'm not particularly conscientious about eating in-season stuff (or rather, I vaguely try to eat local in season stuff but every now and then crave asparagus in december or whatever) but I often find that the list of in season stuff is good for getting excited about whatever sort of seasonal cooking I'm trying to do...

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I cheat and let a nice man at the market do it for me.

Question - is there a finer condiment to go with a spanish omlette than tomato ketchup? It'd probably make a traditional spanish chef give up in despair, but you're looking for something to go with a dish that's basically a slight rearrangement of egg and chips...

slowtrain

I would like some recommendations on what to flavour my ice cream with?

Something unusual and delicious.

I really have no idea. Rosewater?

Numbers

No idea if it's unusual in the UK, but I had nougat ice cream last summer and it was completely delicious. I'd buy some quality, Italian torrone and proceed from there.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Made a pineapple and mint drink yesterday, and it turned out horrifically, easily the most disgusting thing I have made in recent times. Now I understand:

"Pineapple contains active enzymes that can derail some recipes. For example, if you cook the fruit with milk or cream, the mixture will become bitter. You can avoid this by just pre-cooking the pineapple and then adding it to the cream/milk recipe. The enzymes also interfere with gelatin and will prevent it from setting but if you pre-cook the pineapple and then add it, the gelatin will be fine."

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I cheat and let a nice man at the market do it for me.

I just get a big kick out of getting, for free, something that costs roughly its weight in gold when purchased commercially. :)

[Hence my predilection for ram-raiding jewellers' shops...]

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
It's true...

Blackberrying is a bit like that, but quicker and requires less commitment.

I put some (wild mushrooms) in a risotto today - sauted chanterelles in butter with some regular chesnut mushrooms, removed the ones that started to wriggle when they got warm, mixed it into a cooked risotto and then sprinkled toasted walnut bits over the bowls. I think that mixing them in at the end and sprinkling the walnuts on top really helped by getting a bit of variation from forkful to forkful that you don't always get with risotto.

Also - orange and black olive. Has anyone else played around with this? I tried it in a salad with landcress and it was good, might try bringing fennel into the mix (or putting pernod in the dressing or something, hmmm...) next.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Also - orange and black olive. Has anyone else played around with this? I tried it in a salad with landcress and it was good, might try bringing fennel into the mix (or putting pernod in the dressing or something, hmmm...) next.

Orange and fennel is always lovely...