Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

luka

'superturnip' turkey's popular canned turnip beverage is available throughout the borough of hackney.

don_quixote

Trent End
did you make the tomato sauce too?

if not i would recommend that as well

but yeah i fucking love kosheri. might make that again tomorrow now youve said it.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
aubergines coated with chickpea flour/turmeric/chili/salt, then fried, and served with heated yoghurt/ground cumin seeds. Really great. Could probably put a bit of tamarind or something else sour in the yoghurt too, and counterbalance with some sugar.

did you make the tomato sauce too?

if not i would recommend that as well

but yeah i fucking love kosheri. might make that again tomorrow now youve said it.

I did, but with passata rather than fresh or tinned tomatoes and with barely any added water. It was one of the best tomato sauces I've had. Still a few spoons left that I'll be having tonight.

I should have a go at some more recipes out of the Ottolenghi book, it's been haunting the kitchen for a couple of years now.

Off to Roast for dinner tomorrow.

don_quixote

Trent End
that recipe is by far the most standard and everyday in that book. everything else is quite fancy.

always fancy the sweet potato gratin tho

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The other day I recreated something I made years ago, which is a sort of wine-y sausage casserole made with boerewors (South African beef sausages flavoured with the same kind of spice blend you get in biltong), as I found some in a butchers' in Oxford. Fried some big bits of sausage with onions, garlic and mushrooms, then chopped up the sausages and put it all in a pot-au-feu type container with carrots and swedes, plus some potatoes after boiling them separately. The sauce was a mixture of red wine and beef stock, flavoured with smoked paprika, chili flakes, bay leaves etc. Left in the oven on a low heat for about 80 minutes.

When everything had cooked down pretty nicely I tasted it and it seemed pretty good. I thought it could do with some sweetness though, so in keeping with the current Dissensus favourite I added some pomegranate molasses. Oh man, was that ever an inspired choice, it was soooo lush - though it was an inappropriately wintery dish with the weather so nice just lately, I guess. If you can find boerewors or any kind of really good, meaty, spiced sausages I recommend you give this a whirl when it starts getting cold again.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Pork belly in achiote paste/lime juice/orange juice; served with red onions marinated in same juices, as well as oregano and cumin; and tomatillo salsa (tomatillo/onion/salt/sugar/cumin). In tortillas. Bloody good!

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
i only recently started eating fish again after having been a vegetarian for about 10 years and i came back to red meat first. so anyway this evening i had battered cod and chips and vinegary peas with a bit of tartare sauce. omfg.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
so anyway this evening i had battered cod and chips and vinegary peas with a bit of tartare sauce. omfg.

Yeah, it's a proper feast, innit?

Speaking of fish-n-spuds - twice in three nights now I've had pickled herrings in sweet mustard sauce mixed with boiled potatoes. I think I could get seriously addicted, it's just so fucking good. If you can get pickled herrings, for god's sake try some, they're amazing.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
yeah it was so ridiculously good. btw whenever i see the word herring i think of that monty python sketch.. i've never actually seen this sketch, i've only ever heard my drunk dad do his impression of it. i believe it goes something like *amusing comedy voice* "your next task is to cut down this tree.... with a herring"

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Yeah, it's a proper feast, innit?

Speaking of fish-n-spuds - twice in three nights now I've had pickled herrings in sweet mustard sauce mixed with boiled potatoes. I think I could get seriously addicted, it's just so fucking good. If you can get pickled herrings, for god's sake try some, they're amazing.
Is that the stuff that's labeled as "orkney herring", in a yellowish plastic pot?

That stuff is like the cured seafood equivalent of crack, it's incredible.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Cherry tomatoes with balsamic (lots), olive oil, garlic, shallots, and then lemongrass, all roasted til they collapse. Great with pasta/gnocchi, or just scooped up on bread.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Got guests coming over tomorrow, gonna do that laksa with big shell-on prawns I reckon. And blackberry/elderberry sorbet afterwards, with the last of the fruit I picked over the summer. Aw yeah.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Top winter food tip - you can roast cauliflower.

I tend to toss it with olive oil plus a bit of cayenne, cumin seeds, smoked paprika and salt and then roast it at a comparatively low heat for about half an hour until it's cooked and a bit blackened at the edges. Then let it cool and use it in salads (eg with feta and kidney beans) or just serve it as a side thing with curried stuff or do what we did yesterday and stick it back in the oven for a few minutes in a small bowl with a few spoons of yoghurt over the top and then put some fresh mint on it when it's done.

It's great, anyway. The flavour comes out really well, and the spices and the slight charred sweetness complement it nicely.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

I tend to toss it with olive oil plus a bit of cayenne, cumin seeds, smoked paprika and salt and then roast it at a comparatively low heat for about half an hour until it's cooked and a bit blackened at the edges. Then let it cool and use it in salads (eg with feta and kidney beans) or just serve it as a side thing with curried stuff or do what we did yesterday and stick it back in the oven for a few minutes in a small bowl with a few spoons of yoghurt over the top and then put some fresh mint on it when it's done.

It's great, anyway. The flavour comes out really well, and the spices and the slight charred sweetness complement it nicely.

I loathe cauliflower usually, possibly because of its bitterness after boiling/steaming? Does it taste sufficiently different roasted to make it worth a go?

viktorvaughn

That sounds great with the cumin and paprika, agree it's ace in salads, inc with bulgar/grains.