Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

viktorvaughn

bit of a tangent but any tips for eating in leeds centre? up there for work in a couple of weeks so guess they'll cover 15 quid or so, want to avoid just wondering around lost and going into a pizza express...

ta

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
bit of a tangent but any tips for eating in leeds centre? up there for work in a couple of weeks so guess they'll cover 15 quid or so, want to avoid just wondering around lost and going into a pizza express...

ta

A bit tenuous, but if you like I'll ask my girlfriend to ask her sister, who studied there so probably knows some good-value places.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
but pizza express shits on a lot of restaurants i think, especially a lot of pizzas sold in italian restaurants.

Pixxa (Farringdon and Liverpool Street) is really excellent though - more of a takeaway joint. makes the big deal about italian pizza more apparent than anywhere else i've eaten at in london.

viktorvaughn

but pizza express shits on a lot of restaurants i think, especially a lot of pizzas sold in italian restaurants.

Pixxa (Farringdon and Liverpool Street) is really excellent though - more of a takeaway joint. makes the big deal about italian pizza more apparent than anywhere else i've eaten at in london.

yeah i actually do like pizza express, was just the first thing that came to mind as a generic work food thing whilst travelling with colleagues, but this time i'll probs be on my own so can bosh out some sichuan or something :p most pizza is pretty wicked come to think of it

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
yeah i actually do like pizza express, was just the first thing that came to mind as a generic work food thing whilst travelling with colleagues, but this time i'll probs be on my own so can bosh out some sichuan or something :p most pizza is pretty wicked come to think of it

oh sure, i figured it was just a turn of phrase! i rate them higher than most other chains i can think of. not sure i like pizza that much, but when it's good, incredible...

http://www.thinksicily.com/guide-to-sicily/food-and-wine-in-sicily/sicilian-recipes.aspx

some really good stuff here. The spaghetti with prawns and pistachio pesto is getting made sometime very soon...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Leeds is hugely (south) Asian, isn't it? Generally a good sign for restaurants and takeaways, though it can take a local's knowledge to know which ones to go for, I guess.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i always thought Leeds was (comparatively, given its size) less south Asian than other towns in yorkshire/lancs/midlands... yeah, just checking it out, surprising really, around 5 per cent indian and Pakistani communities combined, bradford being over 20 per cent and blackburn nearly 20 per cent, for eg. just remember reading that once ages ago, and it stuck as an idea in my head, could have been completely wrong!

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh, I thought it was one of the most Asian cities in the country but I must be thinking of somewhere else, never mind.

matt b

Indexing all opinion

ta

How long you up for?

Leeds city centre is very small and is easy to get around, generally (the inner ring road can cause a few hassles).

These are the places we go, more often than not. Bare in mind we are vegetarians and Yorkshire is very meat friendly- there are other very good restaurants about if you want flesh. All but one of the below also serve meat.

We used to eat in Little Tokyo a lot- the bento boxes are best.

Fuji Hiro is a good, simple, cheap Japanese restaurant.

Hansa's is an ace vegetarian up market Indian.

Sukhothai is a really good thai (not been for about 5 years though), but a bit out of town.

Jino's is another good Thai cafe.

The corn exchange now has restaurants etc with a good reputation, but I have boycotted it (they kicked out all the independent traders to allow the foodie stuff to move in). The only loser is me.

Tampopo used to be good, but wasn't all that last time we went. Maybe they were having an off day.

Bradford is the place for curry- 15 minutes by train. Lots of choice. Worth a trip.

If you want any more help/assistance, let me know

(I might also be able to wangle a free evening, not that there's much to see/do in Leeds centre of an evening)

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Oh, I thought it was one of the most Asian cities in the country but I must be thinking of somewhere else, never mind.

Leicester, I'd imagine.

Leeds has well established Afro-Caribbean, Jewish, Pakistani, Indian, Chinese communities, but it is still a very 'white' city in general.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Leicester, I'd imagine.

That's the one, knew it started with an L.

Edit: my geography's not so good once you get north of London. In fact I never really got my head around the north island too well, to be honest.

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
There are about 20 Pizza Expresses in Leeds, so you won't have to wander about much before hitting one.

I forgot to say, if you in Leeds city centre at lunch time try Pasta Romagna. The food is pretty poor, but you get a mad Italian grandmother singing and shouting at all and sundry.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Sausages, puy lentils (cooked slowly with a bit of carrot, celery and onion and a few herbs) and cabbage is a super-classic combination. Would work with a lot of other pork or game type things as well. But what would work as a veggie substitute for the sausage?

Sausages, puy lentils (cooked slowly with a bit of carrot, celery and onion and a few herbs) and cabbage is a super-classic combination. Would work with a lot of other pork or game type things as well. But what would work as a veggie substitute for the sausage?

Yes, with a side helping of about a half pint of Maille dijon mustard. One of the best.

luka

i have them as a salad, put industrial quantities of mustard in the dressing. loads of garlic. walnuts. cheese. green stuff.