Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Anyone got a good recipe for carrots? have some left over from a casserole I made, wondering if there's any way of making them into a main course....maybe best to cook them up with lentils...

viktorvaughn

How long you up for?

Leeds city centre is very small and is easy to get around, generally (the inner ring road can cause a few hassles).

These are the places we go, more often than not. Bare in mind we are vegetarians and Yorkshire is very meat friendly- there are other very good restaurants about if you want flesh. All but one of the below also serve meat.

We used to eat in Little Tokyo a lot- the bento boxes are best.

Fuji Hiro is a good, simple, cheap Japanese restaurant.

Hansa's is an ace vegetarian up market Indian.

Sukhothai is a really good thai (not been for about 5 years though), but a bit out of town.

Jino's is another good Thai cafe.

The corn exchange now has restaurants etc with a good reputation, but I have boycotted it (they kicked out all the independent traders to allow the foodie stuff to move in). The only loser is me.

Tampopo used to be good, but wasn't all that last time we went. Maybe they were having an off day.

Bradford is the place for curry- 15 minutes by train. Lots of choice. Worth a trip.

If you want any more help/assistance, let me know

(I might also be able to wangle a free evening, not that there's much to see/do in Leeds centre of an evening)

Thanks very much for that! Super detailed, I'll have a read/think and have to report back...:D

except i'm not going to leeds cos i've broken my arm, darn...!

Last edited:

nochexxx

harco pronting
i have a dismembered duck carcass simmering away in a cooking pot, for what now must be a good 4hrs. how do i turn this into the most amazing stock possible?

hoping there's a simple solution, so that i don't have to go out and buy loads of stuff.

Last edited:

nochexxx

harco pronting
in the past i've made stock, it's tasted like slightly insipid water. i think my water to bone ratio is more than likely out of wack.

S

simon silverdollar

4 hours is probably enough time for stock. if you boil it too much you can get an odd chalky taste from the bones. i think whole peppercorns and leeks are essential to stock. and one small carrot. anymore and it gets too sweet.

nochexxx

harco pronting
4 hours is probably enough time for stock. if you boil it too much you can get an odd chalky taste from the bones.

i was under the impression you could boil stock for days. anyway, i just had a taste and it's not too bad, added a few spoons of duck fat, which instantly boosted the flavour.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
only ever made stock from chicken carcass, kept it pretty simple - few veg and some peppercorns and bay leaves i think. theoretically veg with some complex sugars would be best, so maybe parsnips? i then boiled the stock down to nearly glace-ish type consistency, which made the most amazing soup in the world. But that took forever.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
in the past i've made stock, it's tasted like slightly insipid water. i think my water to bone ratio is more than likely out of wack.

Also you gotta roast the bones for a good while before putting them in the water, even if they're already from a roast chicken/duck/whatever. Ensure they're nice and caramelised but don't burn them, obvs - half an hour at 200C should do the trick. I also like to break open the larger bones so as to allow the gooey marrowy goodness to get out. You can use your teeth for this, makes you feel like a caveman. :)

viktorvaughn

i was under the impression you could boil stock for days. anyway, i just had a taste and it's not too bad, added a few spoons of duck fat, which instantly boosted the flavour.

4 hours sounds fine to me. filtering through muslin is good. i think yeah you need lots of bones - with some bones you roast them before doing the stock as this maximises it apparently. bay, onions, carrot, celery.

i've made a nice spiced noodle broth with duck - noodles, veg, soy, sesame oil, that sort of thing...

bones all behave differently, stock from ham hock is insanely rich, almost too porcine. this is due to gelatine and collagen of joint i think...jellies.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
i just made a soup.

2 garlic cloves and a small onion, fried in a bit of butter.
left over bits of lemony capery herby roast chicken.
couple of left over boiled potatoes and some bits of carrot.
left over peas and broccoli and a few heads of asparagus.
pre-simmered the chook carcass for an hour to make stock and added half an extra stock cube.
simmered it all for a bit then whizzed up with a dash o cream.
served with loads of black pepper.

i love soups sometimes, there is a kind of purity to them. entirely reliant on flavour, ingredients, etc.. "the first bite is taken with the eyes" not much you can do with presentation to make up for a boring-tasting soup. soups are substance over style, content over context lol .. also only one pot to wash up. tho admittedly this one was made using various leftovers from 3 different meals so there was washing up along the way..

i remember some decaying old book my dad had on a shelf that he used to go on about about sometimes, it was about how to make the perfect meal. i never read it but my dad talked about it, now i think about it, it seems almost like a Perec thing where the author described all these ridiculous, impossible steps you would have to have gone through in order to appreciate/prepare the meal fully. eg to fully enjoy the meal you had to have had your first taste of lobster no less than 10 years previously and to have tasted it at least once every year since. i always remember one of the dishes in this self-defeatingly complex meal had a stock made from "no less than 50 lobsters", which you had to have consumed the previous day with friends. my dad would laugh as he said this. wish i knew what book it was.

nochexxx

harco pronting
Also you gotta roast the bones for a good while before putting them in the water, even if they're already from a roast chicken/duck/whatever. Ensure they're nice and caramelised but don't burn them, obvs - half an hour at 200C should do the trick. I also like to break open the larger bones so as to allow the gooey marrowy goodness to get out. You can use your teeth for this, makes you feel like a caveman. :)

i usually do that, but this time i totally forgot :(

meal turned out really awesome! added rice, cabbage and mushrooms, with lots of succulent duck meat - basically a cantonese style porridge. same consistency with big flavour, just how i remember it being in the south east.

luka

everyknow about sichuan food now so i had to be exclusive and move onto hunnan food. very hot. thai food is hot, sichaun is hot, indian can be hot but this is the hottest food ive ever eaten. but also some of the nicest food ive eaten.