Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
that one's got a v good rep, but there must be cheaper ones.... Is Ba-Shan another one? apparently they're related, and Fuchsia Dunlop was consultant for Ba-Shan

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I'd pay quite a lot of money for someone who'd done the research, found the whole range of interesting, subtle, varied recipes in the various styles of traditional chinese cooking, and then put together a book with just the veggie ones.

nochexxx

harco pronting
what you need to do is find a buddhist cookery book, then learn how to become a seitanist :)

be warned though, vegatarian buddhist cooking has its own rules, for instance garlic is not considered vegetarian.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I've actually got a thing of Japanese buddhist cooking. Which is great, but it seems to be basically a separate tradition. Whereas I guess I'm after mainstream dishes that happen to not contain meat or fish...

luka

chinese food got a lot of vegetable dishes i think although you wouldnt know to judge by the resturaunts in london. i could just have been eating a load of minced pork recently though.
yesterday they put a small dish of pickled radish and soy bean in front of us as a starter. that was incredibly delicious, particulalry after drinking beers in the pub all day. i had big green chillis charred and delicious with huge amounts of garlic, whole cloves and half cloves, a dish with tiny sliced aubergine and fresh very hot chillis, delcious fried rice, long grain rice, the rice i like, i dont get into the mushed short grain most of china seems to eat really um something with mushrooms and celery that was not all that inspiring but was a relief in a way as it wasnt burning hot.

luka

i want a hunnan resturant in london. i am commission you to find me a hunnan resturaut in london please. thank you.

luka

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
i want a hunnan resturant in london. i am commission you to find me a hunnan resturaut in london please. thank you.

Golden Day :
http://www.london-eating.co.uk/37194.htm

is Hunan. I thought it was OK, not mindblowing but I may have been having an off day*

Ba-shu is more Sichuan. They've changed chef, he's in Brick Lane now with his own place. I think there are better Sichuan places than both of them, to be honest but I eat this shit alot.

Ba-Shan

http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/venue/2:21319/ba-shan

more Hunan and it's really, really good there. Mix of Hunan, Sichuan and Shaanxi. It's basically that Dunlop cookbook come to life, but better than you can cook it. The Doc and me take people there to start them off on this sort of food. I recommend it. Go to that one.

* actually I didn't like it there at all, but I'm being polite.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
be warned though, vegatarian buddhist cooking has its own rules, for instance garlic is not considered vegetarian.

WTF? How do they work that out? I'm reminded of Pythagoras's crazy food rules - like you mustn't eat chickpeas, because they sorta look like a little human head and therefore might have tiny souls of their own... :rolleyes:

nochexxx

harco pronting
WTF? How do they work that out? I'm reminded of Pythagoras's crazy food rules - like you mustn't eat chickpeas, because they sorta look like a little human head and therefore might have tiny souls of their own... :rolleyes:

it's a case of avoiding food that overdrives the senses, garlic is basically too racy lol after having that explained that to me i found it made perfect sense. garlic induces the same ravenous taste sensations i experience when i'm being a carnivore.

having been a vegetarian for about 8 years i reckon Buddhist seitan restaurants have the best vegetarian food. it beggars belief what they get up too!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
it's a case of avoiding food that overdrives the senses, garlic is basically too racy lol after having that explained that to me i found it made perfect sense. garlic induces the same ravenous taste sensations i experience when i'm being a carnivore.

stanley-green-2.jpg

:)

having been a vegetarian for about 8 years i reckon Buddhist seitan restaurants have the best vegetarian food. it beggars belief what they get up too!

Man, I can't imagine giving up garlic. I'd almost rather give up meat! That said, I'm not against veggy food on principle and this style of cooking does sound intriguing - dunno where I'd find a place serving it over here though.

Might check out some of the Indonesian places here when my girlfriend comes over next, not a cuisine I'm too familiar with so it'll be cool to try new things.

Last edited:

luka

gluten yes. gluten can be very nice. in the local asian supermarket there are two huge freezers devoted to various types of flavoured gluten. pigs intestine, sharks fin, all sorts of exotic things. as well as chicken nuggets, beef, pork, roast duck etc. some are very good some are very bad. there are huge numbers of buffet style places in london doing this kind of food. they are all much of a muchness. not terribly exciting. supreme master ching hai has inspired a lot of vietnamese people in sydney to open vegetarian resturaunts in sydney in this style. some bad some very good.
http://suprememastertv.com/press-kit/
supreme master has her own tv channel and jewelerry range.
i been vege for 33 years and i think the absence f garlic and other racy spices means this style of cooking is inferior to indian vegetarian cooking which for me is the ultimate. i like the gluten but the indians been doing it for a long time and they are the masters of vegetarian food.