Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Ooh, sounds good. I keep meaning to get some pomegranate molasses - if only because it's one of those things that people whinge about fancy recipes using even though they don't sell it in tesco metro, but I can currently buy it within a few hundred yards of my house. But I'm never sure what I'd actually do with it...

Minced lamb, big flatbreads, pomegranate molasses - fry lamb (adding onion, garlic, coriander seeds etc), mix in molasses; put all on top of flatbread; flatbread in oven for two minutes; voila. Oh and top with some parsley or coriander leaves

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
that sounds great ! will definitely try it. i think crisp salads in winter are doing a lot - getting a bit bored of typical winter stodge now.
Used the left over daikon thinly sliced in a salad with curly endive and pomegranate seeds and a slightly sweet mustardy dressing. The ace thing about fancy salad is that if you live somewhere where you can get the ingredients, it's actually very very low effort to produce something that sounds (and tastes) really fancy.

viktorvaughn

Used the left over daikon thinly sliced in a salad with curly endive and pomegranate seeds and a slightly sweet mustardy dressing. The ace thing about fancy salad is that if you live somewhere where you can get the ingredients, it's actually very very low effort to produce something that sounds (and tastes) really fancy.

a nice salad i ripped off a restaurant (bocco di lupo) and made at home is - radish sliced very thin (they did it with two types including a giant black one), pomegranate seeds, pecorino, parsley and a dash of truffle oil. very nice in a small amount for classy starter.

sufi

lala
i baked banana cake yesterday it was lush.

but i was meaning to post this up for ages, Pat's curry goat, i've tasted Pat's homecooked version and also cooked it myself, meticulously following her instructions below, which produced

THE BEST CURRY GOAT YOU WILL EVER EAT!

Ingredients

2lbs of goat meat chopped in medium cubes
1 large onion chopped
Half of green /red/yellow pepper chopped
2 table spoons of curry powder preferably BOLSTS (comes in blue & yellow packet/tin)
1 tablespoon of All PURPOSE SEASONING (this has salt and can be use instead of salt) it’s up to you if you want to add salt, but not necessary
1 teaspoon of ground black peppers again it up to you how hot you want it.
2 medium size bay leaves
1 teaspoon of dry thyme or 2-3 sprigs of the fresh one
2 spring onions
2 fresh tomatoes or half a tin of the tin one
2 Cloves of garlic or more if you wish
A dash of ground pimento
Add a bit of soya sauce

Method

Mix the goat meat together with all the ingredients (preferably with hand) - add all purpose seasoning, curry powder, pepper, garlic, onion/spring onions, tomatoes, pimento, thyme, bay leaves, 2 tablespoon soya sauce.

Leave mixture for 3-4 hours or overnight to marinade.

Put 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in a sauce pan. Add 2 tablespoon of curry powder to oil - heat for a minutes (careful not to let it burn) then add the whole mixture to it, brown slightly then leave to simmer in it own juice. You will need to add some water at a later stage. Cook for 2 hours until tender add 1 oz of coconut cream simmer for a further 15 minutes
:p

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Something I mean to try over the weekend:

Oil thick slices of aubergine, and put int he oven til they've gone crispy outside and soft inside. Menawhile, process together walnuts, parsley and fried garlic. Add to aubergine slices.

Also, found these brilliant stock kits in a Chinese supermarket yesterday - all the things you need for various different soups, in a 'kit' presentation. I got dried pear and ginseng.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Something I mean to try over the weekend:

Oil thick slices of aubergine, and put int he oven til they've gone crispy outside and soft inside. Menawhile, process together walnuts, parsley and fried garlic. Add to aubergine slices.

Also, found these brilliant stock kits in a Chinese supermarket yesterday - all the things you need for various different soups, in a 'kit' presentation. I got dried pear and ginseng.

God that aubergine sounds wicked. That's happening this weekend here n all I reckon!

I did my own Nandos last night from here :

http://www.congocookbook.com/chicken_recipes/piri_piri_chicken.html

I used 8 piri-piri chillies (dried) and red wine vinegar instead of cider vinegar. It was veeeery nice, but will go up to 12 chillies next time I think.

LMK about the soup kit, never had that, sounds, um, brave!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
God that aubergine sounds wicked. That's happening this weekend here n all I reckon!

I did my own Nandos last night from here :

http://www.congocookbook.com/chicken_recipes/piri_piri_chicken.html

I used 8 piri-piri chillies (dried) and red wine vinegar instead of cider vinegar. It was veeeery nice, but will go up to 12 chillies next time I think.

LMK about the soup kit, never had that, sounds, um, brave!

The aubergine is a Georgian recipe, had it in Moscow and it's about the best thing I've ever eaten. You can also cut the aubergine thin spread with walnut paste and wrap it up into little parcels. Could prob add some chili flakes too.

Hmm, never made peri-peri - where do you get piri-piri chillies from?

It's just a brilliant idea - in the supermarket on Cranbourn St next ot Leicester Sq they have a ton of them for £2 a pop.

had one of the weirdest dishes I've ever had last night - advertised as Cantonese prawns....sort of in a mayonnaise with brown sugar and sesame seeds...I'd like to say it was nice, but...

Q: Where can you buy scallops in London for a price that's not obscene?

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Q: Where can you buy scallops in London for a price that's not obscene?

Frozen or fresh? Are they the kind of thing that freezes well? I was surprised to see some the other day at what looked like a reasonable price in ASDA.

Cheap frozen seafood of all kinds is to be had in quantity downstairs at Fine Food Chinese/generic oriental grocery shop on Bow Road, opposite the tube station. I know I bang on about this place but it is EXCELLENT. Pick up yer dirt cheap garlic/chilies/coriander/thick soy/pickled cabbage/oyster sauce/pok choi/unidentifiable root veg/white tree fungus (etc.) while you're at it!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Frozen or fresh? Are they the kind of thing that freezes well? I was surprised to see some the other day at what looked like a reasonable price in ASDA.

Cheap frozen seafood of all kinds is to be had in quantity downstairs at Fine Food Chinese/generic oriental grocery shop on Bow Road, opposite the tube station. I know I bang on about this place but it is EXCELLENT. Pick up yer dirt cheap garlic/chilies/coriander/thick soy/pickled cabbage/oyster sauce/pok choi/unidentifiable root veg/white tree fungus (etc.) while you're at it!

Ooh, dunno really. Just read that frozen ones are most likely to have terribel environmental impact on the seafloor...

Sounds good. There's a frozen seafood megastore on Acre Lane in Brixton which is pretty cheap, but never sure about quality.

Bettysnake

twisted pony ******
top notch winter flavour flav soup combo - parsnip and jerusalem artichoke with loads of cardomum seeds. strangely effective.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Ooh, dunno really. Just read that frozen ones are most likely to have terribel environmental impact on the seafloor...

Sounds good. There's a frozen seafood megastore on Acre Lane in Brixton which is pretty cheap, but never sure about quality.

Don't mean to put a downer on the thread but the environmental backstory of most farmed shellfish is horrendous ....ever read about the prawn industry in Thailand? Yikes!

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
oo.

Hmm, never made peri-peri - where do you get piri-piri chillies from?

had one of the weirdest dishes I've ever had last night - advertised as Cantonese prawns....sort of in a mayonnaise with brown sugar and sesame seeds...I'd like to say it was nice, but...

Got the piri-piris from the spice stall in Borough market, I'd never seen them before, not that I'd looked really though. Much recommended.

That prawn thing sounds really really really gross.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Got the piri-piris from the spice stall in Borough market, I'd never seen them before, not that I'd looked really though. Much recommended.

That prawn thing sounds really really really gross.

Cool, going Borough market-wards tomorrow to get me some nduja...

Please, please never mention it again. I feel ill just talking about it.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Sliced plantain fried up with mustartd seeds, turmeric, chillis, and lots of shallots and fresh coriander. With a bit of slightly spicy creamed savoy cabbage (with a bit of ground coriander and nutmeg) - one of my current obsession as an accompaniment to a fairly dry curry.

Unrelatedly, I'm quite interested in having a bash at some east asian 'small eats' type food - potstickers, dumplings, gyoza, pancakey things, that sort of stuff. Any suggestions for what to look into? Vegetarianizability a bonus...