Excellent words and phrases

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The "mouth writing cheques" line reminds me of another great one: "Your ass is grass and I'm the mower", which manages to sound both comically threatening and rather gay.

I can't quite shake the certainty that 'petard' (a small bomb; grenade) - as in "Hoisted by one's own petard" is actually French for 'fart'. In fact that phrase ought to mean "Stunk out by one's own bum-burp".

Last edited:
The "mouth writing cheques" line reminds me of another great one: "Your ass is grass and I'm the mower", which manages to sound hilariously gay as well as threatening.

I can't quite shake the certainty that 'petard' (a small bomb; grenade) - as in "Hoisted by one's petard" is actually French for 'fart'. In fact that phrase ought to mean "Stunk out by one's own bum-burp".

You're not wrong
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petard#.22Hoist_with_his_own_petard.22

Also note here, Shakespeare's probable off-color pun "hoist with his own petar", i.e., flatulate, as reason for the spelling "petar" rather than "petard".

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
'Come to a pretty pass', as in 'it's come to a pretty pass when...'.
Also a fan of 'put to the sword' used in the metaphorical sense.

sufi

lala
i love/hate the way that 'professional' jargon has adopted lots of words from extinct manual trades e.g.
"we're going to do a workshop to hammer out the model using our cutting edge toolkit to forge a line of sight to the deliverables by re-structuring ... blah blah ad nauseam"
especially when used by soft-palmed besuited eejits who've never done an honest day's manual labour in their lives

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I love the word 'immolate'. Could maybe be used for really drunk - "I got completely immolated last night". Similarly for "annihilated", like you were so pissed it you fell into a pile of antimatter or something.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
dunno whether i posted this before, but the game of coining new names for drunkenness based upon famous people's surnames can occupy a spare five minutes. "I got completely Drogba'd last night" was my favourite.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Haha, ace. Especially as some people are called Muller as it is. I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I saw a brilliantly cryptic (to a footie ignoramus like me) tabloid sports headline that said REAL SNUB DROG. Which made me wonder how bad the counterfeit snubdrog problem was, and whether we could do with a Campaign For Real Snubdrog.

I had a great conversation a few years back about slang terms for breasts, and my friend mentioned Jordan while we were pondering the merits of the word "Bristols" - I responed with "Jordan doesn't have Bristols, she has Weston-super-Mares!". It just seemed to fit somehow.

Edit: I once saw a great email fwd (yes, one that was actually funny) giving the shortlist of entries to a compo for making new words by changing existing words by just a single letter. One of the best was "ignoranus", meaning "someone who is both stupid and an arsehole".

Last edited:

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
I love the word 'immolate'. Could maybe be used for really drunk - "I got completely immolated last night". Similarly for "annihilated", like you were so pissed it you fell into a pile of antimatter or something.

I regularly use "annihilated".

"Rollock-Titted" is a good one, or the old skool "crapulent" and "soused".

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Haha, ace. Especially as some people are called Muller as it is. I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I saw a brilliantly cryptic (to a footie ignoramus like me) tabloid sports headline that said REAL SNUB DROG. Which made me wonder how bad the counterfeit snubdrog problem was, and whether we could do with a Campaign For Real Snubdrog.

it's pretty bad. kids are dying out there.

i've always like 'shithouse'. And 'pillock' - apparently menaing 'penis' from the Norwegian word 'pillicock' (a great word in its own right). As is 'pissoir whore'.

The change-one-letter-to-create-new-insult game is defintiely worth further consideration.

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
'Fly-tipping' is a great phrase, isn't it? Not a great thing, obviously, but I love the sound of the words.
'Heavy petting' is another current favourite.

carmen

 
<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="http://player.soundcloud.com/player...oundcloud.com/tracks/7980864&secret_url=false"></param> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player...oundcloud.com/tracks/7980864&secret_url=false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href="">fruitsalad</a> by <a href="http://soundcloud.com/unaudible">unu</a></span>