Excellent words and phrases

viktorvaughn

segue is very strange to me

i always read it as being pronounced something like seeg until i i heard it, i think cos it means moving seamlessly between things a smooth word rather than one with two abrupt syllables made sense

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound

i always read it as being pronounced something like seeg until i i heard it, i think cos it means moving seamlessly between things a smooth word rather than one with two abrupt syllables made sense

i used to call it a seg-you-ee, and one would seg-you, and then have tracks seg-you-ing into others. No-one told me for years. Is it rude to correct pronunciation?

STN

sou'wester
i used to call it a seg-you-ee, and one would seg-you, and then have tracks seg-you-ing into others. No-one told me for years. Is it rude to correct pronunciation?

A bit. If someone mispronounces a word I just use it again in front of them as soon as possible and pronounce it properly.

Pestario

tell your friends

yes! read this word in print for years as "seeg" then when I busted it out verablly I was quickly ridiculed

the experience still haunts me

crackerjack

ditto for me with segue

also epitome - i always knew how the word was pronounced and what it meant in conversation, but on paper always read it as eppy-tome until i was about 18 and looked it up

IdleRich

IdleRich
"A bit. If someone mispronounces a word I just use it again in front of them as soon as possible and pronounce it properly."
I was chatting to some guy I met at this party and we were talking about film soundtracks and the band Goblin, but he kept saying it as The Goblins and then I would leave a reasonable gap and then say Goblin again until a few minutes later he would repeat his pronunciation. I think he was using the same tactic to correct me. Great party.

"ditto for me with segue
also epitome - i always knew how the word was pronounced and what it meant in conversation, but on paper always read it as eppy-tome until i was about 18 and looked it up"
Yep, also unique, quayside and many others. I mean, I knew there words pronounced keyside and uneek, I just thought that there were other words kwayside and unniecue that coincidenctally had the same meaning.

massrock

I knew they were originally called Cherry Five, before that they were called Oliver. What kind of a name is that?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"but weren't they originally called the Goblins?"
I dunno. I don't think that that was why he was doing it to fair. I'm pretty sure they were called Goblin when they did the soundtrack to Suspiria.
Just looked it up, they were credited as The Goblins on the Dawn of The Dead soundtrack, dunno if that was a mistake or what.

STN

sou'wester
I dunno. I don't think that that was why he was doing it to fair. I'm pretty sure they were called Goblin when they did the soundtrack to Suspiria.
Just looked it up, they were credited as The Goblins on the Dawn of The Dead soundtrack, dunno if that was a mistake or what.

they were definitely Goblin at this point, yes. You should have exposed him to the ridicule and derision of the whole party, as someone tried to do to my boss because she'd never heard of Cinematic Orchestra.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I was chatting to some guy I met at this party and we were talking about film soundtracks and the band Goblin, but he kept saying it as The Goblins and then I would leave a reasonable gap and then say Goblin again until a few minutes later he would repeat his pronunciation. I think he was using the same tactic to correct me. Great party.

love it! passive-aggressive sickness in social interaction totally rocks.