jazz - any help appreciated

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Bargain! Er, what's that in proper money? :D

AEC...one of the best groups I've seen 'live'. 'Urban Bushmen' is a great album.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
On the subject of great covers...here's one of my favourites...

thelonious-monk_underground-album-c.jpg

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
oh and by the way, download links for everything i listed on the first page being amassed at my blog.

Sterling work! ;)

Did you really work back chronologically? Great journey, from Anthony B to Armstrong...you could of done it the other way 'round, from 'A to Z' (Armstrong to Zorn)...but I never met a listener who did. The camp is often divided...Trad vs Modern vs Free etc. I began in 'the middle' (50s) and travelled forward to 'Free' then back to the roots when I really got into it. I confess, though, that my first experience of anything 'jazzy' was Fusion in the late-70s...most of which has aged badly to these ears.

Loof,
In an attempt to hit the right spot. I'm offering this - Diz and Bird at the Town Hall NYC 1945 - great sound quality for the era.

albumcoverDizAndBird-LiveAtTownHall.jpg

loof

cheers to everyone who contributed to this. apologies for the lack of feedback, i am recovering from a hard disk crash. 50 gigs of music gone, pretty painful. only got 1 gig of bandwidth a month atm so gonna take a while to recover ...

anyway, massive thanks again, got plenty to work through here!

zhao

there are no accidents
'Moose The Mooch'...named after Parker's dealer...not that his habit made him play better. Miles Davis's band with Coltrane were known as the 'Drink and Drugs' band...Coltrane nodding off during sessions...too much dark 'glamour' associated with all that. Mind you, as 'unhealthy' as their lifestyles were, they made better music than most who followed and could only imitate.

statistically jazz musicians have the shortest life spans of all artists in the 20th century, averaging something like 42. painters were around 64. symphony conductors the longest, averaging 80+

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
That Thelonious Monk artwork up there is truly amazing.

Everyone go and listen to Duke Ellington's "East St. Louis Toodle-oo" right now because it is a wickedman tune.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
That Thelonious Monk artwork up there is truly amazing.

Everyone go and listen to Duke Ellington's "East St. Louis Toodle-oo" right now because it is a wickedman tune.

Yes, and yes! So much of Ellington's late 20s output is totally insane, groundbreaking stuff.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
statistically jazz musicians have the shortest life spans of all artists in the 20th century, averaging something like 42. painters were around 64. symphony conductors the longest, averaging 80+

I'd imagine that stat will be different by the end of this century...most modern jazz musicians appear to be a healthy bunch to me, these days. I mean...doesn't everyone study Buddhism...eat vegetarian...drink moderately, avoid hard drugs and nicotine? If they went back to staying up all night, doing drugs, eating loads of chicken and getting coshed occasionally by cops perhaps they'd evolve into Charlie Parker-types (musically)...er...maybe not.

Agree about Ellington...his early recordings are something else....'The Mooche'...'Don't Get Around Much Anymore'...'Rockin' In Rhythm'...'Main Stem'...jungle style! 'Caravan', of course, which he updated with Mingus and Max Roach to amazing effect on 'Money Jungle', which has to be one of the most unusual recordings by big names.

zhao

there are no accidents
JazzmanSpiritualJazzCD.jpg

Spiritual Jazz: Esoteric, Modal + Deep Jazz From The Underground 1968-77

HOLY SHIT IS THIS ONE BAD ASS MOTHERFUCKING COMP!!!

if you know more deeply rhythmic stuff like this, DO NOT HOLD OUT ON ME.

zhao

there are no accidents
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
JazzmanSpiritualJazzCD.jpg

Spiritual Jazz: Esoteric, Modal + Deep Jazz From The Underground 1968-77

HOLY SHIT IS THIS ONE BAD ASS MOTHERFUCKING COMP!!!

if you know more deeply rhythmic stuff like this, DO NOT HOLD OUT ON ME.

my kind of shit. gilles peterson's brownswood basement specials on his radio 1 show are like a goldmine for this kind of thing. he pretty much turned me onto jazz with those. a lot of them are up on soulseek/blogs... there's also quite a few blogs dedicated to cosmic/experimental jazz: you may have come across some of these being a blogger of note yourself but it's definitely worth browsing their archives -

http://elreza.blogspot.com/ the big daddy
http://ileoxumare.blogspot.com/ one of the best
http://ajbenjamin2beta.blogspot.com/ good for the more 'out' shit
http://orgyinrhythm.blogspot.com/ the classic

plus these

http://pharaohs-dance.blogspot.com/
http://soundawareness.blogspot.com/
http://quimsy.blogspot.com/
http://soundological.blogspot.com/

theres also a new kid on the block who has been tearing the cosmijazz blog world a new a-hole and he goes by the name of fat toro his posts are very consistent

oh and theres my lowly effort efinsane

i'll see if i can find some albums/comps to recommend later.

zhao

there are no accidents
amazing. thanks for the links.

currently diving deeply into South African jazz (like video above), but this is (also) some crucial shit on these blogs.

first one i downloaded this morning: Eric Closs - Doors, which i'm listening to right now, is so good. exactly what i'm looking for.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
i'll see if i can find some albums/comps to recommend later.

please if you can... there is too much on those blogs! and the only way i can think of is download them all and take 3 years to go through them. you know what I'm after... rhythmic and deep.

like what from the Cobblestone discography is crucial?

7001 Joe Thomas - Comin' Home
9000 Hermeto Pascoal - Hermeto
9001 Elmore James - Southside Blues
9002 Grant Green - Iron City
9003 Richard Davis - The Philosophy Of The Spiritual
9004 Freddie McCoy - Gimme Some!
9005 Neal Creque - Creque
9006 Eric Kloss - Doors
9007 Ruth Brown - The Real Ruth Brown
9008 Chuck Rainey - The Chuck Rainey Coalition
9009 Bob Freedman - Journeys Of Odysseus
9010 Earl & Carl Grubbs - Neptune
9011 Cedar Walton - The Breakthrough
9012 Jimmy Heath - The Gap Sealer
9013 Sonny Stitt - Tune-Up
9014 Emanuel K.Rahim - Total Submission
9015 Pat Martino - The Visit
9016 Bobby Pierce - Introducing Bobby Pierce With Bobby Jones
9017 Harold Ousley - The Kid
9018 Catalyst - Catalyst
9019 Gary McFarland - Requiem For Gary McFarland
9020 Steve Kuhn - Live In New York
9021 Sonny Stitt - Constellation
9022 Bobby Jones - The Arrival Of Bobby Jones
9023 Neal Creque - Contrast!
9024 Norman Connors - Dance Of Magic
9025-2 (Various) - Newport In New York '72: The Jam Sessions Vol 1 & 2
9026-2 (Various) - Newport In New York '72: The Jam Sessions Vol 3 & 4
9027 (Various) - Newport In New York '72 Vol 5: The Jimmy Smith Jam
9028 (Various) - Newport In New York '72 Vol 6: The Soul Sessions
9032-6 (Various) - Newport In New York '72
9035 Norman Connors - Dark Of Light

Last edited:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
for now tide yourself over with

Catalyst - Catalyst

fits your deep/rhythmic thing very well indeed

they've got 4 albums and each one has at least a couple of killers on it

thats a point worth noting by the way, there is a lot of this kind of jazz, but often you'll get one of those killer tracks amongst an album of more bland/standard stuff which makes looking for it all the more difficult

will sort a list out shortly

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
the list got a bit ridiculous... this is the abridged version :cool:

definitely check out gilles peterson's brownswood basements (he has all of his playlists archived on the bbc radio 1 website. its worth just searching for the songs he plays on those) i also used to regularly download the mixes from bending corners back in like 2003-2005... again, their playlists are worth checking out. they put me on to a lot of really good stuff.

black jazz records + tribe records are both worth checking. they both put out relatively small catalogs in their times but the quality is high and i don't think there is one 'bad' record from either. strata east is also amazing when its on point but its pretty patchy and varied...

#1 marion brown - sweet earth flying [not really like anything on that comp you posted but i would say that if you dig whats on there then theres a good chance you'll dig this. it's deep as hell]

red = necesario

esotericy stuff:
brother ah - any work of his is good
elysian spring - s/t
wali and the afro caravan - home lost and found
don cherry - orgnic music society (not sure but iirc this one has music from the holy mountain)
lumumba - lumumba
roy meriwether - nubian lady (v. funky)
baroque jazz trio - s/t (harpsichord, tabla, upright bass, what more could you want!?)
adele sebastian - desert fairy princess

*ahem* spiritual jazz:
eddie gale - black rhythm happening, ghetto music
webster lewis - the club 7 tapes (purely for track 1 'do you believe')
jothan callins - winds of change
heikki sarmanto - new hope jazz mass
ensemble al-salaam - the sojourner
mtume - alekbu lan, kawaida, rebirth cycle
gary bartz's 70s output
norman connors - quite a few tunes from his cobblestone albums and his mid to early 70s work
worlds experience orchestra - beginning of a new birth
the pyramids - birth speed merging

moody/complex:
mabumi yamaguchi - mabumi
jorge lópez ruíz - de prepo
tee & company - dragon garden
paul horn & lalo schifrin - jazz suite on the mass texts (this one's more modal mixed with 60s sountrack. there are some very moody passages in there)
hampton hawes - blues for walls (one of those albums with one main gem amongst a bunch of other not so great stuff... the gem being sun dance)
sadao watanabe - paysages, round trip
gary peacock - voices
kiyoshi sugimoto - babylonia wind
jan garbarek - afric pepperbird

fusiony stuff:
mulatu astatke - mulatu of ethiopia (fusion in the truest sense of the word)
robin kenyatta - girl from martinique *edit spelling mistake
luis gasca - luis gasca
peter fish - the silver apple
steve grossman - some shapes to come, terra firma (both really rhythmic)
michal urbaniak - constellation (holy polyrhythms batman!)
stone alliance - s/t (grossman on sax, percussion legend, don alias on drums, this one kicks)
wolfgang dauner - loads of his 70s stuff
the lightmen - fancy pants, energy control centre (similar to catalyst)
klauss weiss' records on MPS
yuji imamura's air - air
steve reid - nova
joe mcphee - nation time
arni chatham's thing - thing
soft machine - third this one is technically prog rock but it's rhythmic and deep, so...

the seperate sections are just loose guides on what to expect. certain albums could definitely be in 2 or more at once.

i'll get me coat.

Last edited by a moderator:

zhao

there are no accidents
hip to black jazz, tribe, strata east and the soul jazz affiliated reissues... all the others, not. thanks very much for providing a bit of guiding light, i'll be stumbing my way through the jungle in various states of inebriation shortly.

i'll get me coat.

no no let me buy you another...