[ldn] 'ardkore continuum event

rouge's foam

a deadly secretion
For him the nuum is the recognition of a certain tradition or continuity running through these musics from Hardcore Rave to 2-Step Garage. That's the sense in which he says it is an observable fact and not a theory.
Don't want to re-enact the argument between k-punk and Joe Muggs, but it's naturally debatable whether "the recognition or continuity running through...musics" constitutes an "observable fact" and not just the construction of a historian who can necessarily never be perfectly objective and needs to construct a narrative: a 'designation' or 'explanation' not an empirical thing in the world - a particular way of telling a particular story. But sure, it's definately a continuous scene and can be talked about in that sense.
I'd agree with K-Punk that if you played even some of the better post-dubstep (look, just trying to avoid the w word) stuff to someone in 1989 or whatever it wouldn't sound startling or 'impossible' where jungle sounded like a rupture or a phase transition. But also as he says it's just so difficult to get that across after the fact - we can't go back, jungle has happened. And Joe Muggs asks if anyone thinks those Joker or whatever records are not 'exciting'. Well, they're nice enough tunes but I do think some perspective is in order. The very fact that they are so readily digestible is your clue.
I'm not a fan of the imperative for big 'progress' in musical style, I guess I think it's a bit blinkered. Of course revolutionary sounds are exciting and important and I await the next batch, but there's nothing wrong with a few people going back a few steps and exploring what we passed during the rapid journey in a different way or in a little more detail. It's when you believe in a 'continuum' with notions of one-dimensional continuity that it starts to look bad when it stops rupturing and transitioning and turns back on itself.

'Post-dubstep' is an excellent name for it, much better than the w word. I prefered Alex Williams's notion of that word.

Last edited:

massrock

Yeah not wanting to go there here a thing exists and it doesn't. Things don't have strict boundaries except by convention, waves of influence extend to infinity. Imo. ;)

I'm not a fan of the imperative for big 'progress' in musical style, I guess I think it's a bit blinkered. Of course revolutionary sounds are exciting and important and I await the next batch, but there's nothing wrong with a few people going back a few steps and exploring what we passed during the rapid journey in a different way or in a little more detail. It's when you believe in a 'continuum' with notions of one-dimensional continuity that it starts to look bad when it stops rupturing and transitioning and turns back on itself.
And the nature of change may itself change.

I'm also probably misrepresenting k-punk's position to some extent it should be said.

Plus when jungle emerged it was organic, though it was a remarkably quick transition. Like a very slick cross-fade you find yourself dancing to a different rhythm. If you weren't following the beat you might end up asking 'how do i dance to this?'. I remember hearing that quite a bit about dubstep actually.

Nothing wrong, no. A lot of obvious but significant things have changed since the days of 2-step.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Of course not if i asked any dumfuck producer whos never even thought of where their ethnically misappropriated music comes from. Maybe benga would if he really thinks of himself as an afro warrior. Maybe megaman from so solid would after the establishment built them up then destroyed them.

Thing is brits in no way want to face up to their percieved cultural superiority and racist attitudes and it would be career suicide for any black academic or musicologist to suggest it but history is riddled with examples of validation only by caucasians from eric clapton shooting the sheriff to lady sovereigns fake patois to grievous angels noodlings.

yet even in kodwo eshuns writings or paul gilroys its subvertly hinted at but never overtly discussed.

http://www.darkmatter101.org/site/2007/05/07/paul-gilroy-in-conversation/

this is all pretty absurd, and overall you seek to misrepresent people's views and attack people with the most simplistic, surface, rambling and incoherent arguments.

You admit you haven't interviewed anyone, unlike everyone you critiscise all the time, you call the producers involved 'dumfuck' too !
so if you have zero respect for the people you're seeking to speak for , what's the point in speaking about a subject and a group of people you seem to hate, and you go on to talk about superiority complexes?

'the hardcore continnum' is racially mixed, both audience and practicioners, so is the uk, that's quite an important thing.

I have no idea why you've come back to this forum for the third time since being banned twice, but overall it just seems it's to have a go at other forum posters and bloggers, the reason for this from what i can make out in your argument is that they're white and involved in uk dance music, (which is a subject you evidently know nothing about or want to learn more about it would seem), you're going to have to stop doing this.

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
I have no idea at all why you've come back to this forum but overall it just seems it's to have a go at other forum posters and bloggers, primarily because they're white and involved in uk dance music, (which is a subject you evidently know nothing about or want to learn more about it would seem) you're going to have to stop doing this.

x2

most people would take being banned twice as a hint to move on. as ever, HSD/undisputed/mistadub/etc., you're treading on thin ice. if you're capable of having real discussions with people then go ahead, otherwise take it elsewhere.

massrock

I can sort of see how the delineation of the boundaries of the (historical) nuum might look arbitrary from the other side of the world. Just going by the chronology and surface formal aspects of the music. Maybe.

I mean not even everyone in the UK agrees it makes much sense and to an extent it is about a London thing and a vibe, no matter how much people try and pin it down.

mms

sometimes
I can sort of see how the delineation of the boundaries of the (historical) nuum might look arbitrary from the other side of the world. Just going by the chronology and surface formal aspects of the music. Maybe.

I mean not even everyone in the UK agrees it makes much sense and to an extent it is about a London thing and a vibe, no matter how much people try and pin it down.

yeah that's fair, what isn't fair is dubalinas conduct and accusations on this forum now and in the past, as well as his conduct on other forums and in the comments boxes of the bloggers he targets.

"you're treading on thin ice. if you're capable of having real discussions with people then go ahead, otherwise take it elsewhere."

and how am i supposed to respond to that ?

...why not just deal with the topic at hand and dont worry about why i am like i am or do what i do? its not like i'm the only banned person to ever come back. FWIW I am having real discussions and havent insulted anyone unless insulted first. So please spare me the hypocrisy.

true, the nuum is a racially mixed but the music it represents for is essentially black. I'm sure reynolds wouldnt have a problem with that, given some of his past quotes on repackaging black music for white audiences.

mms

sometimes
"you're treading on thin ice. if you're capable of having real discussions with people then go ahead, otherwise take it elsewhere."

and how am i supposed to respond to that ?

...why not just deal with the topic at hand and dont worry about why i am like i am or do what i do? its not like i'm the only banned person to ever come back. FWIW I am having real discussions and havent insulted anyone unless insulted first. So please spare me the hypocrisy.

true, the nuum is a racially mixed but the music it represents for is essentially black. I'm sure reynolds wouldnt have a problem with that, given some of his past quotes on repackaging black music for white audiences.

you know very well, it's because you personally attack other people indirectly or directly who write on the board, usually on the grounds that they're white, you've done it to the same people before on other sites you've been banned from and on people's own blogs, i could give numerous examples, but i don't need to, they're all over this thread for a start, it's tiresome and i'm busy so stop or stop posting altogether.

you know very well, it's because you personally attack other people indirectly or directly who write on the board, usually on the grounds that they're white, you've done it to the same people before on other sites you've been banned from and on people's own blogs, i could give numerous examples, but i don't need to, they're all over this thread for a start, it's tiresome and i'm busy so stop or stop posting altogether.

i personally attack those who personally attack me first. The fact that those who attack me are white is incidental. Its more that theyre snide and smarmy and pretentious.

this place needs me more than i need it if only as a token nigga y'all can poke a stick at to rile up but more for the fresh new perspective i can bring to a stuffy white old boys club.

so how about you stop trolling me cos i wont ever stop defending myself in the face of intellectual intimidation

and with that you can fuck right off with your STOP or stop posting shit. What are you going to do ? Bitch moan like a punk ass to the mods and lobby to have me banned again.

sweet... truth be told you havent contributed or put forth any sort of meaningful argument in this thread or that prince one where you pretend like you're down with street funk but when your card gets pulled its the joker.

i see right thru you and now ive given you exactly what you wanted now do your worst

nomos

Administrator
so anyway, did the feminine pressure thing come up at the talk? the observation that women become a factor every so often implies that the nuum is mainly an (hetero) andocentric thing which periodically intersects with its female counterpart. where do the women go when the nuum isn't for them?

also wondering if the relationships between different models were raised - e.g. the apparent linearity of the nuum v. the chaotic webs describes by hyperdub or similar ideas from erik davis, kevin martin, paul gilroy. or eshun's black atlantic dis/continuum?

questions i'd have asked if i'd been able to be there.

rouge's foam

a deadly secretion
Gender came up in a couple of places, but it wasn't really debated. Alex Williams answered someone's question by doubting that there were signifiers for male or female in the music itself.

It felt less like a discussion of alternative models, but more one of varying degrees of departure from the original nuum idea, or how k-punk described it at kick-off. I guess Goodman and Eshun's 'synaesthetic signatures' idea (sort of the stylistic hallmarks of Eshun's black Atlantic tradition) could be described in certain ways as a model, though it's not a category like the nuum. Joe Muggs and Dan Hancox rejected the idea, while Alex Williams and Martin Clark adapted it or discussed something slightly different.

Maybe it was London City Airport being right next to the seminar room, but I don't remember hearing Davis, Martin or Gilroy come up.

I've written some more reactions to the debate here: http://rougesfoam.blogspot.com/2009/05/theory-is-spice-of-critical-life.html

mms

sometimes
Gender came up in a couple of places, but it wasn't really debated. Alex Williams answered someone's question by doubting that there were signifiers for male or female in the music itself.

It felt less like a discussion of alternative models, but more one of varying degrees of departure from the original nuum idea, or how k-punk described it at kick-off. I guess Goodman and Eshun's 'synaesthetic signatures' idea (sort of the stylistic hallmarks of Eshun's black Atlantic tradition) could be described in certain ways as a model, though it's not a category like the nuum. Joe Muggs and Dan Hancox rejected the idea, while Alex Williams and Martin Clark adapted it or discussed something slightly different.

Maybe it was London City Airport being right next to the seminar room, but I don't remember hearing Davis, Martin or Gilroy come up.

I've written some more reactions to the debate here: http://rougesfoam.blogspot.com/2009/05/theory-is-spice-of-critical-life.html

what are the grounds for rejecting the idea completley, from their points of view?