What's your favourite song?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
oh, and 'I know its over' by the Smiths. But that would probably go in the 'Heartbreak songs' thread, if there is such a thing on dissensus

I listened to this recently after 10 years away from it. Unbelievable. Possibly the most genuinely viscerally shocking song I've heard, alongside "Hit 'em Up".

Edit: Bizarrely, this is my favourite song of all time today. It's probably not even Peter Hook's favourite song.

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

I listened to this recently after 10 years away from it. Unbelievable. Possibly the most genuinely viscerally shocking song I've heard, alongside "Hit 'em Up".

Isn't it though? It just tears me apart that song. Maybe once every ten years is enough.

thenationalacrobat

eat white death...
- the ronettes - i wish i never saw the sunshine

yeah disregard the earlier brainbombs please. its this... for alot of reasons.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I tend to alternate between 'Be my baby', 'You really got me' and 'Crying'. All the best songs were written in the 50s and 60s definitely."
This could be true mind.

"The Supremes: You Keep Me Hanging On Not my favourite, I think its amazing tho"
I absolutely love all the old motown stuff but I have a feeling that my feelings are coloured by memories as it was the first stuff I heard when I could figure out how to use my parents' record player.

martin

----
Right now, this -

The sax break does something for my soul

(though it might be "Screwed Up" by Menace tomorrow)

jenks

thread death
I usually say Pyjamarama by Roxy Music - I could possibly write reams on it.

However, my iTunes says it's Martha Wainwright's Factory, which I think I play cos I love the opening line"These are not my people I should never have come here"

but then again whenever I hear Wild is The Wing by Bowie I think that is my favourite

or The Look of Love by Isaac Hayes

or Well, I Wonder by The Smiths

or It's Tricky by Run DMC

or Mystery Train by Elvis

I'll stop now

DannyL

Wild Horses
Today, Rich, it is this:

I had this album for a couple of months and I actually listened to it properly for the first time a few days ago and thought all your other records are just SILLY.

It's kind of the entirety of the human condition all summed up in a 4 minute song.

Another long time fave is this:

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I thought it was called Wild is The Wind? Who did it originally?

Mixed metaphors, er, song titles. One's called "Word on a Wing", and one "Wild is the Wind". Though if you could splcie them together genetically, it would be the best song ever.

original was from a '57 film, by someone Russian, I think.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
However, my iTunes says it's Martha Wainwright's Factory, which I think I play cos I love the opening line"These are not my people I should never have come here"

What a fantastic opening line. As good as "I know that a lot of what I say has been lifted off of men's room walls." (technically not a first line, but the first line of the song is almost as good):

HA - just found this video...:

Last edited: