What's your favourite song?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Velvet Underground's 'What Goes On' would have to pretty near the top spot. The way the guitar comes in as the organ swells in the background just kills me every time.

Hur hur, swelling organ, hur hur hur...

Benny Bunter

Velvet Underground's 'What Goes On' would have to pretty near the top spot. The way the guitar comes in as the organ swells in the background just kills me every time.

Oh yes, great choice. Lou at his most his joyful, he sounds so happy on this song, its infectious. But its not even the best song on that album. That would have to this:

If I could make the world as pure and strange as what I see,
I'd put you in the mirror,
I put in front of me.

Some of the best lyrics ever...

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
oh, and 'I know its over' by the Smiths. But that would probably go in the 'Heartbreak songs' thread, if there is such a thing on dissensus
i love that song but sometimes i feel it has too much power over me
is it too manipulative?
i listened to the live version of that off of Rank the first time i dropped acid at like 18 years of age
my friend found me sobbing uncontrollably but i felt so happy!
how can i make that make sense...

my favorite could be don't worry baby or something by the smiths or "my autumn's done come" by lee hazlewood
or the needle and the damage done
or the needle of death by bert jansch

jenks

thread death
Wild is the Wind - typo by me.

think it was originally done by Dmitri Tomkin, who, I think, wrote Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling as well.

Billy Mackenzie does a marvellous job of Wild... as does Cat Power.

Tell Me Easter's on Friday - Associates would be very high up on my list

but so would In My Room by the Beach Boys

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Wild is the Wind - typo by me.

think it was originally done by Dmitri Tomkin, who, I think, wrote Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling as well.

Tell Me Easter's on Friday - Associates would be very high up on my list

That's the guy. Apparently Bowie recorded it after hearing Nina Simone's version. Other great, great cover versions (aside from Sinead) - Nina Simone's 'My Sweet Lord'...

massrock

Not sure what my favourite song would be but this thread and some of the other responses made me think of this for some reason -

Julian Cope - An Elegant Chaos

So many good lines.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh yes, great choice. Lou at his most his joyful, he sounds so happy on this song, its infectious. But its not even the best song on that album. That would have to this:

I put in front of me.

That's a great song too, but there's a euphoria, a hedonism to WGO that just gives me shivers...it's hard to describe. Definitely my favourite Velvets song.

As far as straightforward rocking out goes, doesn't get much better than this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
Glad you like it. It's one that I wouldn't think would necessarily appeal to a lot of people 'cause it's quite low key. I have to admit that when I first bought it I was hoping that it would be more electronicy along the lines of the stuff on The Bridge album that he did with Thomas Leer and I was actually kinda disappointed. But then it just grew and grew on me...
The Bridge is well worth checking out though. It's kind of like Low in that the first side is all electro pop and the second side is kind of ambient electronics.

61RMS6N286L._SL500_AA240_.jpg
^ just kopped this joint
good looking out
like metal box vs chairs missing vs 20 jazz funk greats
:cool:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Strychnine is good but this is way the toughest Sonics tune. I love the end bit when it starts sounding like Neu or something. If I had any musical abiltiy I'd love to create a krautrock tune based on this

And if you like screams in your rock songs

wow never heard that, really bizarre but I like it.
Same reaction as me when I copped it.

that robert rental tune is so good, i found that a few years ago on this compilation, but i'd totally forgotten about it until I just read this... thanks Rich
Glad to be of service.

Anyway forget what I said before, my favourite song is Inside Looking Out by The Animails but there doesn't seem to be a decent version on youtube

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

I put in front of me.

Not listened to this in ages. Wow. Same kind of beautiful simplicity as in Femme Fatale...and there's magic in that voice.