Iranian democracy

scottdisco

rip this joint please
in a shock move, the imprisoned former VP Mohammad Ali Abtahi (i think he was arrested for the crime of, er, blogging) has changed his mind on the whole shebang.

mind, perhaps he's been reading some of the more thoughtful observers out there, such as self-professed Ahmadinejad supporter Kaveh L. Afrasiabi.

crackerjack

in a shock move, the imprisoned former VP Mohammad Ali Abtahi (i think he was arrested for the crime of, er, blogging) has changed his mind on the whole shebang.

mind, perhaps he's been reading some of the more thoughtful observers out there, such as self-professed Ahmadinejad supporter Kaveh L. Afrasiabi.

ha ha

you beat me to it, almost word for word :D

3 Body No Problem

As usual, you and the other sycophants of empire here do not deal with the (limited) evidence as e.g. discussed in the Afrasiabi article, and don't put forward counterevidence. Why is that? Because you cannot?

What you don't seem to appreciate is that if the election was genuine (note the "if"), then what Mousavi & his supporters have done was an anti-democratic coup-de-etat, disrespecting the majority of the Iranian people. That doesn't trouble you?

vimothy

yurp
Unthoughts

The premises of that question are all wrong.

As usual, you and the other sycophants of empire here

..suggests that the signal issue is not whether Mousavi or Ahmedinejad won, but western domestic political concerns -- it's a question of not being a "sycophant of empire", of not wanting to side with the (politically non-existent?) pro-war camp, rather than an honest appraisal of the election process and outcome.

the (limited) evidence as e.g. discussed in the Afrasiabi article

I just re-read Afrasiabi's article. He presented no evidence. It is an op-ed: a series of assertions that you may or may not find persuasive, but that is all. The Mid East Reality piece is not even worth discussing.

what Mousavi & his supporters have done was an anti-democratic coup-d'etat

Iran is not a democracy.

I am happy to debate the Iran election, but I suppose that I'm not thoughtful enough and at the end of the day, a sycophant of empire, so what would be the point?

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
sycophants of empire

well, that's a new one, at least.

I much enjoy the idea that any event involving hundreds of thousands (likely considerably more, but let's just go w/a low #) of people taking to the street to express their displeasure w/a brutal & corrupt regime could be described as an "anti-democratic coup". it's one of those bizarre turns of phrase you can only get from a Stalinist/Maoist/Trot etc.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
As usual, you and the other sycophants of empire here do not deal with the (limited) evidence as e.g. discussed in the Afrasiabi article, and don't put forward counterevidence. Why is that? Because you cannot?

What you don't seem to appreciate is that if the election was genuine (note the "if"), then what Mousavi & his supporters have done was an anti-democratic coup-de-etat, disrespecting the majority of the Iranian people. That doesn't trouble you?

it would trouble me enormously, if that was indeed the case.

this thread is about 52 pages long. you made your debut on page 3 with a fairly easily rebutted couple of points that minimised or belittled the regime sceptics that had started the thread.
on page 4, you made a needless reference to the pro-war right in the west; viewing the Iranian election through such a prism when the thread title is 'Iranian democracy' is pretty poor form.
you then continued with more unnecessary asides about the (universally acknowledged) lack of democracy in some neighbouring states and a pretty unfair dig at "Irak" which, for all its faults as presently constituted, is undoubtedly at home to a far more democratic govt than Iran, whose current govt as constituted is, to paraphrase Timothy Garton Ash, a Khomeinist dictatorship.

i respect the fact that at one stage you admit to being confused by it all (me too), but you do also quote PRESS TV when you make that admittance.

i also acknowledge that you cautiously assess things with your
with the (limited) evidence as e.g. discussed in the Afrasiabi article...What you don't seem to appreciate is that if the election was genuine (note the "if"),
as you discuss the piece you linked to from the self-professed Ahmadinejad supporter Afrasiabi.

but, be that as it may, here's a few counter-claims (some of which i have linked to before on this thread, in fact, or linked to similar sorts of pieces from some of the same commentators). as per with your gracious caveats re *if/but/maybe* etc, i post all these in the same agnostic spirit.

In June, 40 million Iranians voted in their presidential election. The degree of tampering and fraud has made it impossible to determine the winner -- and has heightened the need for reasonable changes to create free and fair elections.

BY MEHDI KHALAJI , ROBERT PASTOR

Was Iran’s election stolen? New study makes a forceful case
A report by the Chatham House in London and the Institute of Iranian Studies at St. Andrew’s University in Scotland shows that official Iranian election data raises many key questions about the June 12 vote.

By Dan Murphy

LAURA SECOR: THE IRANIAN VOTE

Iran's political coup - Gary Sick

Stealing the Iranian Election - Juan Cole

i don't want to spoonfeed, but i have noticed previously in this thread that Vimothy in particular has been able to provide good rebuttals of some of your demurrals (when you raised issues like, for instance, the reported voter turnout of 100% + in some cities).

i'm sorry, i hope i don't sound rude here; i just wanted to get the above off my chest. i've just been a bit incredulous that you have mostly been hawking this solitary line throughout your thread appearances, when a lot of the rest of us have been willing to discuss a brutal post-election crackdown from an undemocratic regime, the bullets, the beatings, the murders, and so on and so forth.
(it goes without saying i condemn anti-democratic coups when and where they occur, but this is hardly, say, PAD-affiliated thugs in Thailand is it now. also, if this were a coup, well, it didn't work, did it?)

i suppose, re your empire charge, when our comrade Nina Power concluded her discussion of Negri in Iran w' the words

In a country with a giant nationalized oil industry, a fragile Islamic welfare state, and a deeply corrupt form of state capitalism, it seems that Iran’s youth, rather than its economy, is increasingly plugged into the circuits of Empire, not least because massive numbers leave each year to work and study abroad. The Iranian state, on the other hand, appears to be on the wrong side of the new imperialism, rather than inside or outside of Empire as such.

she was OTM from your pov (incidentally, and here i digress, but IT has a very moving line or two in one of her Tehran dispatches about seeing the vast cemeteries resulting from the war with Iraq in the 80s).

p.s.
that one state solution blog you've been hawking for the past 40-odd pages - Middle East Reality - is, er, natty..

3 Body No Problem

suggests that the signal issue is not whether Mousavi Ahmedinejad won, but western domestic political concerns -- it's a question of not being a "sycophant of empire", of not wanting to side with the (politically non-existent?) pro-war camp, rather than an honest appraisal of the election process and outcome.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here.

the (politically non-existent?) pro-war camp

If only this was true. The pro-war camp very much exists politically (see my post on this matter a few months ago), though not in the top positions of the Obama
government. It is strategically unlikely that Iran will be attacked in the short or medium term, because the empire is doing badly in AfPak and Irak, because Russia and China don't want to see another oil producer fall to the empire, and because of pressing domestic concerns (health care, aftermath of financial crash).

I just re-read Afrasiabi's article. He presented no evidence. It is an op-ed: a series of assertions that you may or may not find persuasive, but that is all.

True. Nobody here has evidence that could stand up in a court of law or in a scienific journal. Especially nobody who doesn't read Farsi (and I assume that this includes all who have contributed in this thread). Afrasiabi raises various good points that those like you who are convinced that large scale fraud determined the election outcome have -- as far as I'm aware -- so far failed to counter.

The Mid East Reality piece is not even worth discussing.

Why? In one sentence, what's Arnold's key mistake in that piece and what is the persuasive counterevidence?

Iran is not a democracy.

We discussed this issue before. It is problematic to say that a state is either democratic or not -- democracy is a matter of degree. This has been written about since the inception of democracy in ancient Athens. I think the Iranian system might be called de-jure elite competition. The term "elite competition" has been used to name the Weberian view of western democracies (a view I agree with only partially). The qualifier "de-jure" indicates that there are legal limits on whom the demos can vote for (candidates have to be vetted by the ruling elite), whereas western democracies don't have such legal limits, although de-facto limits surely exist, in that only members of the two largest parties have a meaningful chance of being elected.

Moreover, your participation in this discussion undermines your claim that Iran is not (weakly) democratic: if the election wasn't competitive at all, why did you, the Iranian population and the "where's my vote, duuude" crew get so upset when Mousavi didn't win? The reason is clear: precisely because the expectation was and still is that the Iranian political process is competitive.

crackerjack

whereas western democracies don't have such legal limits, although de-facto limits surely exist, in that only members of the two largest parties have a meaningful chance of being elected.

You presumably mean 'form a government' rather being elected. Candidates from outside the two main parties are elected right across western democracies - fewer in America, though primaries mean the selction of candidates themselves is far more open.

Moreover, your participation in this discussion undermines your claim that Iran is not (weakly) democratic: if the election wasn't competitive at all, why did you, the Iranian population and the "where's my vote, duuude" crew get so upset when Mousavi didn't win? The reason is clear: precisely because the expectation was and still is that the Iranian political process is competitive.

Nonsense. The interest was a response to the real possiblity that protestors might be able to force a change of some kind, whether in the result, the make-up of the government or the levels of liberalisation. Or show me one commnet here from someone expressing amazement that the Khomeni dictatorship rigged the vote.

And incidentally, lay off the "where's my vote duuuude" if you don't wanna look like a cunt. You'll be talking about "ipod liberalism" next.

vimothy

yurp
My definition of democracy includes not only a fair vote, overseen by impartial administrators, and protection for the out-of-power minority, but (and this is the key) also the provision of "strategic coordination" public goods. For instance, can opposition groups meet freely, publicise their ideas in the press, stand in elections, etc? Iran is more democratic than North Korea, say, but it is not a democracy.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here.

The election was either rigged or it wasn't; the fact that I am a sycophant of empire has no effect on that outcome.

Moreover, your participation in this discussion undermines your claim that Iran is not (weakly) democratic: if the election wasn't competitive at all, why did you, the Iranian population and the "where's my vote, duuude" crew get so upset when Mousavi didn't win?

I didn't get upset. In fact, I'm not sure I recognise the caricature you are advancing. I have no stake in the issue of whether the vote was rigged, no way of knowing whether or not it was, and hold no position and have come to no conclusions over the matter.

I see the following -- there was an election for an official position with no real power according to the valence (i.e. the constitutional character) of the Iranian state; this election may or may not have been rigged; lots of Iranians felt that it was, and took to the streets to protest; the Iranian state respond with mass arrests and the oppression of protestors and opposition groups. If the election wasn't rigged, Iran still would not be a "democracy" in the liberal, positive sense that we mean when we say democracy, because of the lack of strategic coordination goods and because the president doesn’t hold meaningful power. I am no fan of the theocratic state of Iran, and would be happy to see it replaced with a more democratic alternative, to the extent that the “where’s my vote duuude crew” (why be so condescending?) offer prospects of that, I support them. And I am happy to show some (relatively paltry) solidarity with pro-democracy students on the pointy end of state sponsored militia (Iran's very own [Godwin alert] Brownshirts).

Why? In one sentence, what's Arnold's key mistake in that piece and what is the persuasive counterevidence?

"My current guess is that Mousavi, Khatami and Rafsanjani have concluded, most likely with some urging from the Obama administration, that it is a matter of historic national urgency that Ahmadinejad be removed from office."

Just nonsense. And in any case, the president does not hold significant power within the regime. In fact (an obvious fact, I might suggest), if Mousavi were in power, Iran's strategic position vis-a-vis the west would actually be improved.

vimothy

yurp
if Mousavi were in power, Iran's strategic position vis-a-vis the west would actually be improved.

Which is why noted enemies of empire such as Daniel Pipes and the head of Mossad wanted AN to win.

3 Body No Problem

you linked to from the self-professed Ahmadinejad supporter Afrasiabi.

You link to Mousavi supporters.

a pretty unfair dig at "Irak" which, for all its faults as presently constituted, is undoubtedly at home to a far more democratic govt than Iran

The de fact government of Irak is the US, notelected by Irak's population.

but, be that as it may, here's a few counter-claims (some of which i have linked to before on this thread, in fact, or linked to similar sorts of pieces from some of the same commentators). as per with your gracious caveats re *if/but/maybe* etc, i post all these in the same agnostic spirit.

All but one of these sources are old (from June), written before the official Mousavi complaint, so they are irrelevant. Why? Because my post above was explicitly about the lack of convincing arguments for fraud two months after the election, and in particular about the official Mousavi case for fraud: surely Mousavi's complaint would contain just about anything that he would find convincing as a proof for fraud. If it's not in Mousavi's complaint, then it seems safe to say that we can forget about it. Moreover, they are based on sources financed by the empire (e.g. the Christan Science Monitor quotes the Chatham House study -- for those who don't know, Chatham House is a branch of the UK government currently headed by DeAnne Julius a former CIA and oil-industry worker). Why am I not surprised about your sources.

In contrast, the FP piece by BY Mehdi Khalaji and Robert Pastor is from August. Good start! Unfortunatly that's about the only positive thing I can say about it. Let me add a bit of context: Mehdi Khalajiworks for and is paid by the neoconservative Washington Institute for Near East Policy, a branch of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee. Members of the WINEP include G W Bush and Richard Perle.

Some source!

I'm not sure why I should be bothered to dissect propaganda material, but here we go.

Khalaji and Pastor do not say what sources their piece is based on, in particular they don't discuss if it's based on Mousavi's official complaint. That's a bad sign, but I'm generous and assume that it is. So let's look at it in detail. What are the points the authors put forward in defense of their claim that Ahmadi-Nejad "stole" the elections? There are 5 (written in bold):

1. While some polling stations were still open, the Interior Ministry declared Ahmadinejad the winner by a landslide.

Afrasiabi's reply: by all indications Mr. Mousavi, [...] improperly declared himself the "definite winner" exactly one hour after the voting had stopped.
  2. Only half of Mousavi's observers were permitted to observe polling stations in the capital city of Tehran; they had even less access in the rest of the country.

Afrasiabi's reply: Mousavi alone had more than forty thousand representatives at nearly ninety percent of the voting centers and, yet, his complaint to the oversight Guardian Council refers only to the few hundreds who were not allowed to monitor the balloting, without bothering to mention that nearly all his eyes and ears who monitored the process failed to report and document any major irregularities. According to the election officials, Mousavi had lodged complaints about merely 89 centers, indeed a minuscule number compared to more than forty-five thousand such centers throughout Iran.
  3. None of the observers were permitted to see whether the ballot boxes were empty when the vote began. Nor were they permitted to accompany the mobile ballot boxes, which collected nearly one-third of the votes. And no Mousavi or impartial observers accompanied the ballot boxes from local wards to the provincial committees and finally to Tehran for the count.

This is not dealt with by Afrasiabi, so here's my (3BNP) reply: This is the 'Vote Stuffing' argument. I see two problems with it: First, creating and faking more than 10 Megavotes is a substantial process, involving a substantial number of people (hundreds?) for a substantial number of times. The US and exil Iranians would dearly love to present such a person to the world media, and richly reward him/her. So there would be a major incentive to defect. Why has nobody come forward? Second, what about the public recounts in the presence of Mousavi observers (please correct me if I'm wrong)? Why did they not turn up discrepancies between the number of votes cast at a given polling station and number of votes in the box? To be sure, one can think of reasons how this (second point) could happen, e.g. recounts were held only where no forgery took place, polling stations don't keep track of who voted, or falsified that track record too.
  4. Before the election, the reformists' Committee for Safeguarding the Votes expressed concern that 54 million ballots were printed -- millions more than for past elections and 8 million more than the number of eligible voters. Moreover, some ballots did not have serial numbers. About 40 million people voted, but no one accounted for the other 14 million ballots.

3BNP's reply: None of this is necessarily indicative of fraud. Since Iranians can vote wherever they want with proper identification, it is surely sensible to have sufficiently many ballot papers, more thank registered voters in the area where a ballot station is located. This has been discussed many times.
  5. These accusations of fraud are credible. Even the conservative Guardian Council has acknowledged that as many as 3 million votes might have been fraudulent.

Afrasiabi's reply: for sure the 2009 presidential elections was not problem-free and the government conceded the irregularity of excess votes in some 50 towns affecting 3 million votes. But, in some areas where this occurred such as Yazd or Shemiranat, Mousavi actually won, and mostly this phenomenon was attributable to summer travel
    affecting Caspian resort towns -- there are no registered voters in Iran, and Iranian voters can vote anywhere with proper identification.

I am not able to judge the accuracy of Afrasiabi's text. In the interest of fairness, let me link to the following HuPo reply by "Mousavi fan" Josh Shahryar/. Again, all I can say that the evidence either way is contradictory.

Here's what I believe to have taken place: (1) there was an attempted coup d'etat (A. Evans piece spins a consistent story of why); (2) there was also irregularties with voting and voting counts (this is I guess the novelty of my position, that I believe in a coup d'etat and in serious problems with the voting process), though how substantial they were I am unable to say at this point; (3) a substantial number of Iranians did vote for Ahmadi-Nejad, possibly more than for Moussavi; (4) there is substantial outside interference with Iranian politics, primarily from the Empire, but also from other players like China and Russia, primarily because of Iran's ressource wealth, strategic location (both geographically and because it is the center of Shiism), it's large (and by regional standards) well educated population; (5) the current regime is illegitimate in the eyes of a substantial number of Iranians and there are substantial powerstruggles going on behind the scenes between the ruling elites, both of which currently cancel each other out and stabilise the existing order, but could in the short or medium term lead to a sudden imposion of the current regime;

Once again: all of what I said above is based on the flimsy evidence that is available to me, in particular on the inability of the Mousavi camp to substantiate their claims of electoral fraud (and I acknowledge that it would be somewhat difficult for them to do so). I will adapt/change/throw away this belief if/when new evidence arrives.

when a lot of the rest of us have been willing to discuss a brutal post-election crackdown from an undemocratic regime,

I'm interested in truth.

Nina Power

I'm not interested in what a mouth piece for the communist international has to say.

3 Body No Problem

My definition of democracy [...] Brownshirts).

I more or less agree with what you wrote, but my focus is different: I see the extreme western reaction (including the present Dissensus thread) as something that is produced, and skillfully produced, by the same people who produced the "weapons of mass destruction" outrage in Iraq. I find this interesting and worrying. My interjections here were probing the voice of the common people. It was interesting to see how upset they got with my skepticism.

Just nonsense.

Why?

And in any case, the president does not hold significant power within the regime. In fact (an obvious fact, I might suggest), if Mousavi were in power, Iran's strategic position vis-a-vis the west would actually be improved.

Which is precisely A. Evans point.

crackerjack

Moreover, they are based on sources financed by the empire (e.g. the Christan Science Monitor quotes the Chatham House study -- for those who don't know, Chatham House is a branch of the UK government currently headed by DeAnne Julius a former CIA and oil-industry worker).

And for those who don't know, here's UK government mouthpiece Chatham House on its paymaster's recent ME policy.