Pitchfork500

swears

preppy-kei
BOB is "important" because... like, it's about Iraq and stuff, yeah?

Rockism, plain and simple.

crackerjack

BOB is "important" because... like, it's about Iraq and stuff, yeah?

Rockism, plain and simple.

is that what they said? haven't read it, but B.O.B. is simply incredible - just the way Andre keeps time over such a fucked-up beat - and 'important' because it shows clear influence of dnb and Squarepusher, which is novel itself for such a big-name US hip hop producer (Sqp especially)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
but timbaland/waterfalls (even genie in a bottle) took on rhythmic ideas from jungle years before...

Squarepusher is more novel an influence, i agree. But...it just wasn't that good, i didn't think, and i really doubt without the title it would've made such waves, esp in the midst of an album with a great many other excellent tracks.

mms

sometimes
it's hilarious, it reminds me of that chapman brothers piece 'hell' .
borderline psychotic.

Last edited:

crackerjack

but timbaland/waterfalls (even genie in a bottle) took on rhythmic ideas from jungle years before..

of course, yeah, that's why I qualified it slightly. but BOB was the only one to rip it at a comparable tempo and with the same energy. much as i think Waterfalls is a fabulous record, it's not really a seismic re-write of what an R&B tune is expercted to sound like (unless you're a real beat nerd)

hint

party record with a siren
The beat on BOB sounds more like Quad City DJs etc. than Squarepusher. Are they on record as saying they were inspired by Squarepusher around the time of Stankonia?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mms

sometimes
The beat on BOB sounds more like Quad City DJs etc. than Squarepusher. Are they on record as saying they were inspired by Squarepusher around the time of Stankonia?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

that's ace.
love the mass unifying explanation for the b.o.b. choice. They could have said ' sounds a bit like funkadelic' rather than the nasty posi-false reasoning they did give.
Anyway, fresh and clean is undoubtedly superior and my personal anthem ;)

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
but timbaland/waterfalls (even genie in a bottle) took on rhythmic ideas from jungle years before...

Squarepusher is more novel an influence, i agree. But...it just wasn't that good, i didn't think, and i really doubt without the title it would've made such waves, esp in the midst of an album with a great many other excellent tracks.

they did a fucking dreadful trite piece of drum and jazz cover of 'favorite things' on the next album they did. Thats probably where the big squarepusher influence really kicked in.

crackerjack

they did a fucking dreadful trite piece of drum and jazz cover of 'favorite things' on the next album they did.

No, you're wrong, it's great :p

All this talk of groundbreaking R&B records has reminded me - just where is Try Again in this list? and We Need A Resolution?

massrock

the way Andre keeps time over such a fucked-up beat -
He's rapping double time over 154 bpm. It's fast but it's not complicated, just 4/4. Yawntastic tune anyway if you ask me. But hey, lists are there for the disagreeing with, and the generating of web traffic.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Can't be arsed to go through the list, but I presume Oops Oh My gets a stellar rating, as the RnB beat of the decade (possibly)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I outright love five songs on the list, to be honest (and one more of them got remade to be one of my favourite 5 songs of the decade).

Yay, ceasefire over in ILX-Dissensus war!

crackerjack

"Your organization's Internet use policy restricts access to this web page at this time."

Actually I feel quite relieved about that. Thank you, Stalinist web-monitor.

Obviously Mr Stalinist web-monitor knows the damage soul-crushing cynicism and sulphuric bitterness can do company morale.