Pitchfork500

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
"if anything "1 Thing"'s crossover appeal is the same as that of "99 Problems"; it's brazenly retro or at least owes way more to drum sounds from the past than most other modern R&B radio hits"

this is a good point from the ilx thread

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
come back next week for Sick Boy being baffled by tv show made up entirely of 'real people' sat around arguing about who ate the last piece of bread

Well, yeah, ok. I think it's a bit like when you don't watch the telly for a few months and after all that time you flick it on again, and your fresh eyes now see the adverts in this perverted and bizarre light.

I guess I just can't picture what sort of conditions spur a bunch of grown men to sit around a table and really put their heads together to come up with a carefully ranked list of THE BEST SONGS EVER.

crackerjack

Well, yeah, ok. I think it's a bit like when you don't watch the telly for a few months and after all that time you flick it on again, and your fresh eyes now see the adverts in this perverted and bizarre light.

I guess I just can't picture what sort of conditions spur a bunch of grown men to sit around a table and really put their heads together to come up with a carefully ranked list of THE BEST SONGS EVER.

the power of googlejuice

swears

preppy-kei
I don't know whether I feel depressed or relieved that this decade is over and what it meant musically... I think generally there was more good music, but less great music, less innovation and less relevence to the rest of (pop) culture compared to the 80s and 90s. I think one of the problems with the 00s was there was no real break at the end of the last decade, no new wave or acid house from which new things could grow from, even just as a myth to provide vague rules/boundaries.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I think one of the problems with the 00s was there was no real break at the end of the last decade, no new wave or acid house from which new things could grow from, even just as a myth to provide vague rules/boundaries.

Drum and bass --> garage --> grimedubstepfunky?

I like the music produced in this decade more than any other decade in the history of time. Completely subjectively, of course, but that's how it should be.

martin

----
Out of the top 20, Beyonce, Missy, MIA, Daft Punk and Yeah Yeah Yeahs are probably the only ones I like, but come on -

<i>Hercules and Love Affair - Blind</i>

sounds like Alison Moyet after a stroke

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Oh, I love some electroclash (Rippin Kittin, GD Luxxe etc), don't get me wrong. it's just it was unashamedly retro as a movement.

nomos

Administrator
it wouldn't have been the zeroes without this though...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

(from pitchfork's forthcoming Top 10 Symptoms of an Era list)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Felix Da Housecat did some good tunes? Well, I thought he was way better than LCD Soundsystem anyway.

Kittenz And Thee Glitz was a stonker of an album (bar a couple of filler tracks), still dig it out occasionally.

I don't have anything by LCD but I like the couple of biggish singles he/they had.

swears

preppy-kei
What about electroclash?

Ahem.

I think electroclash was kind of interesting as a back-to-basics pop thing: no IDM noodling around, no breakbeats, no mmm-nice jazzy eclecticism, just drum machines, synths and vox. Sort of like dance music's version of early 70s glam rock. Shame that most of the tunes didn't really match up to 80s synth pop and the beats weren't as good as contemporary techno or house. But yeah, a handful of great tracks by guys like Felix and The Hacker.

CrowleyHead

There's some funny priority systems at work as far as that list... I mean, let's look at it like this...

In the Pitchfork world, indie ist krieg. Okay. So, wouldn't "Seven Nation Army", a single that helped legions of talentless indie bands get 5 minutes of fame, be more important than one of those band's accidental hit records?

Also, there's like, 6 Jay-Z singles. And in all seriousness, both sonically and lyrically, I'd rate "Best I Ever Had" over all of them. And they're really, REALLY, going to say "Takeover" is better than "Ether"?

massrock

Kittenz And Thee Glitz was a stonker of an album (bar a couple of filler tracks), still dig it out occasionally.
The Thin White Duke remix of Silver Screen Shower Scene is one of the enduring artefacts of Electroclash, even though it's basically 'just' house music.

Felix Da Housecat of course made some other good stuff in the early/mid 90s.

There were some other moments - Emerge (Fischerspooner) was alright in it's place but then it was probably based heavily on I-f's Space Invaders Are Smoking Grass which was better and arguably kicked the whole thing off anyway.

Then again all that's a bit too tasteful and well produced to be the real Electroclash. The really shit throw away drum machines and filth/decadence is the true spirit of the thing.

swears

preppy-kei
There were some other moments - Emerge (Fischerspooner) was alright in it's place but then it was probably based heavily on I-f's Space Invaders Are Smoking Grass which was better and arguably kicked the whole thing off anyway.

Yeah, Space Invaders... is the missing link between the underground, "serious" 90s electro revival and the more poppy 00s wave.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Wouldn't stop it being pop music, but it was a defined style... sometimes it's what you take away that makes something distinctive.

Ok, that makes sense. Yeah I think the overall shift from breakbeats to programed beats (esp software-made ones) has been something that's seperated the 00s from the 90s, both in MC-based music and in dance/club music (and in stuff that overlaps both, obv). Though of course there are many exceptions on either side.

tom lea

Also, there's like, 6 Jay-Z singles. And in all seriousness, both sonically and lyrically, I'd rate "Best I Ever Had" over all of them. And they're really, REALLY, going to say "Takeover" is better than "Ether"?
'cause that's a debate that needs to happen again.

'best i ever had' is amazing though.

gumdrops

a milli>>>>>bombs over baghdad

(and i loved that track when it came out- just seems a bit overproduced now though, though maybe thats what makes it so 00s after all - basically just a synthesis of a load of other stuff already out there, not really doing any brave new thing on its own - unless you think combining d&b and miami bass is that, and well maybe it is - not many big name groups in hip hop coming out with a d&b tune for their first single from a new album - great as it is/was)

so dull to see crazy in love in there - beyonce solo hasnt had anywhere near as many good singles as destinys child did. im totally bored of most of them tbh. none of pitchforks black music picks are esp surprising to be honest. its basically like whatever gets into the big now thats what i call the 00s compilation.

Last edited: