Pitchfork500

mms

sometimes
Yeah, Space Invaders... is the missing link between the underground, "serious" 90s electro revival and the more poppy 00s wave.

surely this was electroclash's most genuinley thrilling moment, it's got it all.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

franz

i'm very divorced from pitchfork at this point, so it's hard to get too upset about any inclusions/exclusions on that list. for a 500 "track" list, i'd say it could have been more diverse than it was. but then again 500 seems like a ridiculously big number anyway. more tracks get mentioned i guess... never a bad thing. in that kind of racket. glad to see Blood On My Hands on there... that came as a very pleasant surprise--definitely a very beautiful moody song that deserves to be recognized beyond it's niche.

a song that would have been very high on my list would be Sippin' on Some Syrup by Three 6. glad to see it was there, but that song is probably top 5 for me. nice to see Still Tippin', On My Block, the other Three 6 affiliated tracks, but i do feel that the list was missing certain niche corners of the rap market that deserved to be recognized... in general, the list (and a lot of these lists in recent years) feels a bit too chart centric... i do understand and agree that there were great happenings in rap/r&b that were right on the surface, but i'd say the list feels like it overvalues a lot of stuff that was good and happened to totally click with the mass market. still a lot of affirmative acting when it comes to the hipster intelligentsia relationship to the overground, i think. that Kelly Clarkson song was pretty okay, for example... but 21st best song of the decade? that's silly and a little bit insulting to the last 10 years of music.
i think i feel the same about BoB. i definitely remember being blown away by it the first time i heard it (at a high school basketball game, where i was also "blown away" by that Darude song... fwiw), but it's not an affection that has spanned the decade at all. i don't really understand why it "had" to be number 1...

i went on a bunch of tangents that i deleted... i know that a lot of things i would've included never had a chance of being included here, and i find that to be a failing of the list to a certain extent.

mixed_biscuits

Some sort of interesting objectivish prerequisite for inclusion would be nice - perhaps that the tracks must be 'innovative' in some way, that they push music on into the future, spearheading creative progress rather than just marking (harking back to) time(s past).

As it is, all we end up with is a great heap of pretty melodies rendered in the standard range of contemporary styles.

(I'm assuming that it was deemed necessary for the number one to be musically interesting in some small way, hence BoB.)

ether

bombs over Baghdad....is it just me or rap tunes with dreadfull dnb pastiche drum machine patterns havent dated that well. does little to surmise the 00's.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
God fucking damn it I shouldn't have clicked on that. I knew I shouldn't have done it.

I even like Hercules and Love Affair ok, but number 18 in the top 10 of the 00s? WTF. Annie? Two LCD Soundsystem tracks?? I can't. even. pretend. not. to. hate. these. people. They remind me of the fuckers I went to college with.

I have a place in my heart for Outkast, but there are so many better and more representative hip-hop singles they could've chosen for number one, it's just ridiculous. I'd probably have chosen "Stay Fly" tbh, not because it's the best track of all time, just really emblematic of a hugely epic crossover 00s hip-hop single. Or maybe "Tipsy" or "Get Low". One of those dancefloor anthems from the drty sth.

crackerjack

The beat on BOB sounds more like Quad City DJs etc. than Squarepusher. Are they on record as saying they were inspired by Squarepusher around the time of Stankonia?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

yeah, this is great, tho i can't really see the connection with bob

nomadthethird

BOB is "important" because... like, it's about Iraq and stuff, yeah?

Rockism, plain and simple.

It's better when black folk make somber, thoughtful, chin-stroking jazz-influenced "legitimate" tunes that avoid the identity politics of the ghetto or depictions of hedonistic fun.

White people, on the other hand, can shred and sing about banging groupies or partying the night away. That's different.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
of course the whole thing is a ridiculous endeavor to begin with. I mean, a "top" 500? seriously, I can't even imagine how long it would take me to sit down & think of 500 songs from the last decade, let alone 500 songs I liked, let alone rank them in some peremptory fashion. it's hard to even pretend to care, it's just to generate content & traffic anyway. the debates they sparks are hilarious tho, it never fails to amuse how worked up people get. "273! that's way too [low/high]! [tune x] should totally be like [307/157]!"

whoever said "I Luv U" for the top spot, I'm with you 100%. Boy In Da Corner is my top album of the decade by a wide margin. I'm sure it'll rank pretty high as well when pf get around to doing their top 9038 albums of the 00s.

swears

preppy-kei
Yeah... "I Luv U" ahhh...

I remember around that time I got my first proper job and bought some shitbag shoebox Fiat Panda that was older than my little brother and cost me more in insurance p/a than I paid for it. I had the CD single on constant rotation on the weedy stereo 'cuz it was the FUTURE as far as I was concerned. Everybody I gave a lift to would say "What the fuck is this?! Not this weird cockney rap shit again!?" Made my twee gf sulk for hours.

"Freezing cold flows like Moscow..." probs is No. 1 when I think about it. :)

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I don't know whether I feel depressed or relieved that this decade is over and what it meant musically... I think generally there was more good music, but less great music, less innovation and less relevence to the rest of (pop) culture compared to the 80s and 90s. I think one of the problems with the 00s was there was no real break at the end of the last decade, no new wave or acid house from which new things could grow from, even just as a myth to provide vague rules/boundaries.

There was a really definite break for me though, and it was 'Re-rewind' which was December 1999, and I remember thinking, god, the future's going to be really abstract.

swears

preppy-kei
There was a really definite break for me though, and it was 'Re-rewind' which was December 1999, and I remember thinking, god, the future's going to be really abstract.

Yeah, I was loving that too, but it's a future that never arrived. Grime never got the exposure it deserved.

More than anything, this moment--all those So Solid soundalikes with superfast sinuous rapping and warbly male R&B vox coming in at the chorus (very like punk with its glut of Sex Pistols xeroxes), all the abject B-line trax with "detuned churning lower frequencies" that Matthew says make him feel like puking--reminds me of ten years ago, the tail end of ’92. Hardcore, which had been top of the pops all summer, now untouchable, the lowest of the low. A market glutted with white labels, an awful lot of the music pure shite (but also weird one-offs that you hear once and never again, dubplates whose perpetrators suddenly pulled them off the market). Retrospectively, as old skool fiends, we can pick through the dung-stack and find the gems, and even the second-rate and third-rate stuff from '92/93 has appeal---nostalgic charm, historicity, plus we know with hindsight where this was all heading; you can listen to Goldie’s Phil Collins-sampling and truly lousy debut effort and track the lines that connect it to the Darkrider EP or “Terminator.” At the time, though, the output of pirate radio often did sound like an avalanche of garbage, the febrile entropy of a culture devolving. But you could dimly sense that this roiling soupy protoplasm might just be the primordial swamp out of which new life-forms would coalesce. I’d like to the imagine that the cruddy 88 percent of gutter-garridge is actually working like compost, fermenting the new. Shit music as cultural manure! So big up the sewage crews. It's a dirty job but somebody's gotta do it.

http://blissout.blogspot.com/2002_11_01_archive.html

nomadthethird

Yeah or Young Gunz "Can't Stop, Won't Stop". Up there with Clipse in the minimalistic/nihilistic stakes.

Speaking of Clipse, I know it's a big old cliche for white people who went to college to like them or whatever, but I would put "Grindin" a few slots above "Big Pimpin" and about a thousand above any frickin Annie song...guh.

Also Sloane, urite: the conspicuous absence of Kylie (and Sean Paul, afaic) from the top 50, when both released at least a dozen amazing and influential singles each, is insane.

whoever said "I Luv U" for the top spot, I'm with you 100%. Boy In Da Corner is my top album of the decade by a wide margin. I'm sure it'll rank pretty high as well when pf get around to doing their top 9038 albums of the 00s.

I remember when Boy in Da Corner came out, and I was living in this house with 5 other people, one of whom was an ex-raver from Philly and a very serious head who listened to gabba and really intense crazy seizure-inducing shit.

I knew "I Luv U" (and the whole album, really) had to be something special when a house with gabba girl, a hip-hop DJ, a couple of psychedelic hippies from California, an industrial/house/minimal fan, and I were all loving the same thing.

Last edited:

mistersloane

Sippin on Some Sizzurp was just one of those what the fuck music moments for me, Westwood played it and I just couldn't believe my ears, more so than Grindin or Cant Stop, both of which I love, love, love but Sizzurp is an unbelievable tune.

mistersloane

Grime never got the exposure it deserved.

Not yet, I can't help thinking that time is all fucked up nowadays, plus with both Tinch and Diz, it's just a matter of time before pop kids start working backwards. If Ruff Sqwad released a greatest hits now, it'd go top ten.

nomadthethird

I always wondered if maybe grime failed to get big because of a sort of culture thing in Britain (and I could be way off here) where people (young men) don't like you when you're big. So the things people on your side think are special, their underground musics, they guard pretty fiercly.

I remember when a few of the grime MCs started gaining commercial traction in the states and elsewhere, they were sort of universally denounced by their home scene, in ways that seemed a little out of proportion to me based on the work they were doing.

2 cents from a total outsider.

Benny Bunter

I'd go for BIDC as the album of the decade too. Its funny because it doesn't even really work that well as an album and its inconsistent as a complete listening experience, but its become this sort of monument for me, if that makes any sense. I still don't think I've fully absorbed it all yet, some of the tracks are hard to get into, but it keeps me fascinated every time I listen to it. I luv it

Did any Dizzee tunes make the list? I can't be arsed to wade through it all tbh

And who the fuck are The Walkmen?