DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

swears

preppy-kei
gek-opel said:
Im not sure about this tho. Its pretty un-coffee-table ready at present isn't it? Or am I just one Various Productions album away from having my first dubstep dinner party?

I don't reckon Dubstep is gonna go the way of The "Bristol Sound" or whatever.
It's too cold and inorganic sounding, you can tell it's computer music (didn't Burial make his album on a PC?) Whereas 90's dinner-trip-hop used sampling, sequencing or whatever, it had the advantage of sounding "real". You could stick some horns over the slowed down breaks and it would sound like jazz, an acoustic guitar and you've got folk.
Dubstep is too unsettling (in a good way of course) for that.
 

hint

party record with a siren
swears said:
I don't reckon Dubstep is gonna go the way of The "Bristol Sound" or whatever... Dubstep is too unsettling (in a good way of course) for that.
*ahem* Maxinquaye

Dubstep may not be suitable for the 30-something dinner parties but I certainly wouldn't write off its potential to produce an album that's "great to fuck / smoke / y'know... just chill" to for students the world over.
 

tryptych

waiting for a time
hint said:
*ahem* Maxinquaye

Dubstep may not be suitable for the 30-something dinner parties but I certainly wouldn't write off its potential to produce an album that's "great to fuck / smoke / y'know... just chill" to for students the world over.

Is this what the Various album's going to sound like? It's certainly going to stray into that territory - the "where I belong" 12 used a vocal by Sia (who did stuff with Zero 7).
 

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I'm really looking forward to mellow dubstep chill-out. Do we really want all dubstep to be testosterone work-outs? No, of course not, so therefore there's room for mellower tunes.
 

swears

preppy-kei
2stepfan said:
I'm really looking forward to mellow dubstep chill-out. Do we really want all dubstep to be testosterone work-outs? No, of course not, so therefore there's room for mellower tunes.
I'm really looking forward to some more dancefloor bangers like Skream's "Acid People".
the sort of stuff you could throw into an electro set and people would just be like "neat".
 

matt b

Indexing all opinion
2stepfan said:
I'm really looking forward to mellow dubstep chill-out. Do we really want all dubstep to be testosterone work-outs? No, of course not, so therefore there's room for mellower tunes.
you could always do both at the same time. *cough* reggae *cough*
 

swears

preppy-kei
hint said:
*ahem* Maxinquaye
Yeah, of course you had those early wicked records.
But that whole sound seemed easier to water down from a musical point of view.
I don't think some James Lavelle style gimp is gonna come in and make it -ugh- "effortlessly cool."

testosterone work-outs?
What about a few oestrogen work-outs? :D
 
Last edited:

hint

party record with a siren
swears said:
Yeah, of course you had those early wicked records.
But that whole sound seemed easier to water down from a musical point of view.
I was referring more to your statement about Dubstep being "too unsettling" to break through like that.... in fact, I'd go as far as to say that I haven't heard a single dubstep record that I find unsettling.
 
Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
hint said:
I was referring more to your statement about Dubstep being "too unsettling" to break through like that.
Hmmm, in terms of musicality, sparse, jerky beats are more unsettling than slowed down breaks and "organic" samples. I'm not talking about emotional content or anything, as if hearing dubstep creeps me out. I just think that the actual sound of the music is harder to leave on in the background than Portishead or something.
 
Last edited:

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
I just read about this in Flavorpill:

"[Luke] Vibert teams up with Space Age electronic pioneer Jean Jacques Perrey on the four-track EP Moog Acid, the debut release from Lo Recordings' new experimental-dance imprint, LoEB. (Tantalizingly, the label is co-curated by Warp artist Jackson and grime/dubstep bad-bwoy Plastician, formerly Plasticman.) "

and

"[Rephlex's] Amen Andrews vs Spac Hand Luke, which documents the sound clash between the schizophonic producer's ragga-jungle and dubstep aliases, respectively."

Anyone heard the Plastician's label and whats coming out on it? Thoughts?

Also, anyone heard Vibert's dubstep? Is this correct? Is it good?
 

tryptych

waiting for a time
Freakaholic said:
I

Also, anyone heard Vibert's dubstep? Is this correct? Is it good?
He's definately had a touch of 2-step in some of his stuff - the track he did for the Warp Magic Bus tour probably the first thing I heard him do like that.

Check out this on last weeks breezeblock - his set from the Faster than Sound festival, which features a lot of dubstep-type tracks. No idea what any of them are...

On that show, Mary Anne-Hobbs says something about the Spac Hand Luke record, to the effect that it sounds a lot like the DJ set.
 

swears

preppy-kei
Freakaholic said:
I just read about this in Flavorpill:

"[Luke] Vibert teams up with Space Age electronic pioneer Jean Jacques Perrey on the four-track EP Moog Acid, the debut release from Lo Recordings' new experimental-dance imprint, LoEB. (Tantalizingly, the label is co-curated by Warp artist Jackson and grime/dubstep bad-bwoy Plastician, formerly Plasticman.) "

and

"[Rephlex's] Amen Andrews vs Spac Hand Luke, which documents the sound clash between the schizophonic producer's ragga-jungle and dubstep aliases, respectively."

Anyone heard the Plastician's label and whats coming out on it? Thoughts?

Also, anyone heard Vibert's dubstep? Is this correct? Is it good?
I don't really rate Vibert that much, his style seems too reliant on referencing old sounds like Amen or think breaks, TB-303, stuff like that.
The Plastician's remix is great though. And Jackson is the only new electronica artist that's really interested me lately.
Well, I hope their label is successful, cause it could be good.
 

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
swears said:
I don't really rate Vibert that much, his style seems too reliant on referencing old sounds like Amen or think breaks, TB-303, stuff like that.
The Plastician's remix is great though. And Jackson is the only new electronica artist that's really interested me lately.
Well, I hope their label is successful, cause it could be good.

Havent heard any of his jungle stuff, but re: 303 referencing - I thought he was always one of the best contemporary people pushing the acid sound. and that you cant do w/o the 303. What was the name of that album... Yeshua? Wicked.

ok, while trying to find Skream's Acid People (any help?) i found a place to listen to vibert's new one:

http://www.phonicarecords.co.uk/detail.aspx?ID=14305

again....Acid People anyone?
 
Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Vibert teams up with Space Age electronic pioneer Jean Jacques Perrey on the four-track EP Moog Acid"
I'm pretty sure that I Love Acid uses a sound from EVA, I wonder if that's what lead to those two hooking up.
 

Whoa-B

Brüt Force Family
I'm loving these Tectonic Plate 10"s! But I'm also wondering why do Darqwan and Mark One appear sometimes as DQ1 and MRK1? Are their original aliases exclusive to certain labels?
 

C/Dizzle

Never Enough
hint said:
I was referring more to your statement about Dubstep being "too unsettling" to break through like that.... in fact, I'd go as far as to say that I haven't heard a single dubstep record that I find unsettling.

I played some to one of my best friends for the first time last week.

I think her exact words were "that's some scary shit...
"
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top