DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
The only thing wrong with the Eshun piece was that it wasn't positive ENOUGH about 2step.

I like a bit of wobbly techstep. Whomp, whomp, whomp-whomp BASH.

the next batch of beats is currently infecting the net at beatport among others...

...buy em if you like em and compare the VIP predator with the original at our myspace

thanks to blackdown for giving me :D a mention on his month in grime/dubstep column from june...

I also had a go at blogging but will probably use this less and more as an outlet to vent although i have been and am going to be a bit busy

...not even enough time to polish some beats off cos i gotta make some money and beats don't pay bills unless you're gigging as well, which i don't do

gek-opel

entered apprentice
@ John Eden: Yeah, that is true, however his use of the term "2 step" was cack handed in extremis given the dubstep context of the piece... If he meant tech-step or breaks why not use the correct terminology? Because as he basically admits in that editorial, he is hopelessly out of touch. Especially given the scenes The Wire has been pushing in the last few years like the so-called "New Weird America"... The Wire emerges as gullible, fusty, and remote.

gumdrops

geeneus has a new single out on tempa (i think). not heard it yet but i think i read it being pitched somewhere between grime and dubstep. glad to see hes still out there - hes one of the best producers in london and deserves a lot more credit.

mms

sometimes
gumdrops said:
geeneus has a new single out on tempa (i think). not heard it yet but i think i read it being pitched somewhere between grime and dubstep. glad to see hes still out there - hes one of the best producers in london and deserves a lot more credit.

geeneus remix of what by wonder is out with a davinche mix of geenus on the other side - on dump valve, is that it?
its absolutely incredible that remix by geeneus, like a massive wave of simmering determined focussed anger gently building then dropping away, really special, emo grime if you like, production wise. :)

gumdrops

yeah, that remix is fantastic. just heard the new 12" of his though and im not really that into it. its quite dubstep influenced, so while im pleased hes still managing to stay on top of changes in garage, it sounds too stiff/pummelling/regimented. kinda tech-steppy in that regard although i suppose you could say that about a lot of dubstep. the weird thing about it, to my ears at least, is that its sounds not like an imitation of dubstep, but a bit generic in the way the drums are very (maybe too?) typical of the genre - very flat and robotic, etc.

Last edited:

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
From the Dubstep Forum:

I cant think of anything much worse than people with no knowledge of this music listening to some of the best music out there and comparing it to the pop shite that Radio 1 play most of the time.

It's comments like this that make me want to start listening to Coldplay.

3underscore

This whole times article and stuff really makes me feel like I should finally register at dubstep forum, and pretend to be a new convert for a while.

mms

sometimes
swears said:
yuppiestep

do you really mind that sort of thing though -those weird bits of press, its a week to week glimpse of neurosis that sort of stuff isn't it?
they'd never come to fwd or dmz anyway.

swears

preppy-kei
mms said:
do you really mind that sort of thing though -those weird bits of press, its a week to week glimpse of neurosis that sort of stuff isn't it?
they'd never come to fwd or dmz anyway.

I'm not a dubstep head, although I like the odd track. Skream, DMZ, ...Mostly from listening to Mary Anne Hobbes, I don't get down to London much these days. So it doesn't bother me that much. Although I could see why fans of the genre would think that fleeting mention was dumb.
Anyway, I wouldn't be suprised if they'd never even heard the Burial album.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Penman on Dubstep, Grime, and two possible futures...

"At the same time - even tho' I personally prefer Dubstep to Grime, I suspect that Grime 's "fate" - that it will just pop like a pimple and disappear, or mutate into some sarky and cheap and sulky and naaasty "new" variant - is by far the better option than what will probably happen to Dubstep ... Mercury Prizes, concept albums, jazz rock noodle time on Jools Holland, MASS ACCLAIM... a thousand points of media light. An unsparing, sapping light."

http://apawboy.blogspot.com/2006/07/that-plw-quote-yesterday-got-me.html

Im not sure about this tho. Its pretty un-coffee-table ready at present isn't it? Or am I just one Various Productions album away from having my first dubstep dinner party?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.