Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: K-Punk

The thing that a lot of people don't realise or remember about Mark, particularly those who only came across the Capitalist Realist version, is that part of him wanted to be a pop star. The medallion dated to a moment when he almost convinced himself he was one. It wasn't just the medallion, he developed a look. The model was John Foxx, but it also looked slightly Gary Numan. It was a brief phase, I think, back end of 2004 into 2005, but it definitely happened. I don't think I hallucinated it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

Can confirm. Definitely happened.

It actually makes perfect sense when you think about it, that he would have that aspiration, as he had faith in culture, in art, and if you think a lot about culture and art, you naturally want to have a go in some way. Like, most good critics, before they become critics, theyve had a go in some small way. Its to be expected. All the various techy people in the music biz, theyve all had a go.

Just a bit surprising that he would have a medallion (maybe its that word though, would ‘chain’ be a better one?). But in some ways it all fits and is quite humanising in a way.

did nobody ask him about the medallion?

Quote Originally Posted by yyaldrin View Post
    did nobody ask him about the medallion?
    Of course not. We’re British.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

https://soundcloud.com/user-36145528...al-after-party

interesting mix - there's a good 80s postpunk vibe one about 20 mins in. very arty mix is suppose, i can imagine going into a white cube and laying on a smelly beanbag and listening to it really loud. what do people think of mark leckey huh? perhaps this is the wrong thread, but i like him, i keep an eye out, even though i've not seen much of his live stuff. i like that fiorucci vid. and i like how he's from the north and is into motorway bridges.

there's a tumblr for kpunk stuff by the way, https://4kpunk.tumblr.com/ which is where this is from.

i wonder if that goth-something guy who did a few posts here mentions the medallion in his book??

9. The Following User Says Thank You to catalog For This Useful Post:

xenogoth on k-punk, hauntology and Simon's conceptronica piece,

Music Has The Right To Children: Reframing Mark Fisher's Hauntology

there's a good 80s postpunk vibe one about 20 mins
    The one from like 17 min to 21? I dunno the song but surely that's Gen P Orridge singing appropriately enough.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    xenogoth on k-punk, hauntology and Simon's conceptronica piece,

Music Has The Right To Children: Reframing Mark Fisher's Hauntology
    I just picked up his book (Matt Colquhoun- Egress) enjoyed the introduction so far. One for the hours ahead.

Can't help but think Kpunk would have had much to say about Corona, virology and self isolation.