AIN'T NOBODY VERSUS I FEEL FUR YOU

AIN'T NOBODY VERSUS I FEEL FUR YOU

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sadmanbarty

similar sense of a whole clan announcing themselves one by the one to the world and transforming the musical landscape in the process

sadmanbarty

it was written doesn't sound dated whereas illmatic does. same for wu tang forever vs 36 chambers. something changed in 95. those wu tang solo projects documenting that shift; albums that straddle both sides of that shift.

sadmanbarty

there's a warmth and fullness that filters itself out of rap as the years go on. you can hear it most starkly in the shift from fat boom bap drums to skeletal 808s.

the infamous is a pivot point. the drums for example take on a very metallic feel. they start a trend to brittle drums sounds that evolves into timbaland, hot boyz, etc.

luka

also you just lose any texture whatsoever at a certain point. No grain as you move into the digital. No depth.

sadmanbarty

also you just lose any texture whatsoever at a certain point. No grain as you move into the digital. No depth.

that shift from 70's film which is all warm and grainy and over exposed to digital hd film. lose that haze that you get in bob marley's old grey whistle test appearance or texas chainsaw massacre and raech the point where you can see the pores on people's skin.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Protect your neck is let off the leash unrestrained strength and joy fun happiness shook ones pt2 is paranoia talking with your mouth almost closed tension suspicion

PYN sounds like the early 90s. Shook ones pt2 is something new and sounds a lot less dated.

To me the Wu tang stuff particularly 36 chambers is sui generis, doesn't really sound like anything else did before or after.

The tempo is maybe what dates it just like illmatic

Would it be fair to put the responsibility for slowing things down on the west coast particularly Dre/g funk?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm not sure even rza ever used samples quite like he did on 36 chambers again. Not to say that Cuban linx or liquid swords isn't up there. Just something about how choppy and structured some stuff on 36 chambers was.

I can only imagine what it was like when they first appeared

sadmanbarty

dematerialisation is in part the story of the decline of the 70's soundworld, with the 90's being this very interesting point in which technology and this hazy soundworld were married.