Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Jordan Peterson thinks it makes sense to compare humans with lobsters

Forget about his stingy postmodernism / marxism comments. Of course that's gonna get some kneejerk reactions. I want to hear from jungians, neuropsychologists, religious scholars and first and foremost other clinical psychologists. The latter is where he has the upper hand in most debates. Most commentators or debaters hardly have any experience like that.

Also, I'd like to know where he associates with nazis? Is that because of the Pepe symbol?

I must admit, I do like his ways more before he got famous/notorious. His old lectures are looser in structure, but better.

Okay, so he was wrong about that, but so what? Okay, so people have debunked him on that, but I'm not interested in that. I don't think there's much point taking this any further as you just shift the goalposts every time a point's refuted.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Okay, so he was wrong about that, but so what? Okay, so people have debunked him on that, but I'm not interested in that. I don't think there's much point taking this any further as you just shift the goalposts every time a point's refuted.
    He is not wrong. I saw the first video. It was cringeworthy and probably made by a first semester sociology student. I know I would have when I was one. I can't bother with the longer one. There are some good Peterson critiques out there but this was not the one.

Quote Originally Posted by chava View Post
    There are some good Peterson critiques out there but this was not the one.
    A mate of mine who's quite well read on psychology/anthropology etc. (and in no way a JP fan) made the point a while ago that JP's stock has been boosted by the fact that a lot of the supposed 'take-downs' of him aren't very convincing and are by people who don't really know what they're talking about either. He had a link to a video which he said was a much better critique - I'll post it here if I can find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs

He is not wrong. I saw the first video. It was cringeworthy and probably made by a first semester sociology student. I know I would have when I was one. I can't bother with the longer one. There are some good Peterson critiques out there but this was not the one.
    He is wrong. There's no way he went 25 days without sleep. It's complete rubbish. As for the critique, I don't believe you'd accept any at all as you seem too invested in defending him. You can't even get your argument straight on whether or not anyone's done a proper critique:

What I still miss is after several years nobody seriously goes after his ideas in full. It's all personal attacks or very lame cliched critique pieces
    There are some good Peterson critiques out there but this was not the one.

Also, I'd like to know where he associates with nazis? Is that because of the Pepe symbol?
    His use of Nazi propaganda terms and right wing associations were discussed earlier in this thread. I think you were here at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    His use of Nazi propaganda terms and right wing associations were discussed earlier in this thread. I think you were here at the time.
    Mentioning the term "cultural marxism" and standing beside an "proud islamophobe" does not make you nazi. Unless you are high in disgust sensitivity (Peterson would maybe say that), and you believe ideas are instantly contagious. Which obviously is somewhat right sometimes, but not all the time.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to chava For This Useful Post:

Jordan Peterson is the poor man's Craner.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    His entire shtick is that people need to forget about silly things like activism and get their own houses in order. Turns out he's a drug addled lunatic with insane ideas about diet and health. He's in no position to be preaching to anyone.
    It's almost as if dealing with negativity every day for years has side effects. This thread is why we can't have nice things.
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

Who gives a shit about his diet? He doesn't evangelise about it. And so what if he exaggerated the cider thing? Does that take away from the actual positive changes he's brought to people's lives? The alignment shit is confirmation bias. The guy wants the world to be a better place. He's flawed, but he tries. And often succeeds. But he's met with the type of shit in this thread 24/7 from supposed intellectuals who do nothing but pick away at him with lazy, half arsed arguments. He's obviously not a tough guy. And I think this actually boils down to that to some degree. He's easily bullied, doesn't embody the classic man's man, has that voice. If it was some charming, good looking, smooth talker, I swear there'd be a lot less backlash.

Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes_ View Post
    Who gives a shit about his diet? He doesn't evangelise about it.
    That's arguable. Less arguable is that he enables his daughter to evangelise it.

from what i gather the backlash has centred around him taking positions that are deemed transphobic and misogynistic. the emphasis on his more spurious claims arrises from the fact that he presents his ideas as being grounded in science, so when he promotes lifestyle choices that are outlandish and empirically unsound it undermines the source of his intellectual credibility.

the voice doesn't play into it. if anything i'd imagine a burly alpha male in the same position would be deemed more offensive.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by comelately View Post
    That's arguable. Less arguable is that he enables his daughter to evangelise it.
    If he's seen it work for her and then it worked for him, why would he interfere? Also she's 27.
    Last edited by pattycakes_; 15-02-2020 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    from what i gather the backlash has centred around him taking positions that are deemed transphobic and misogynistic. the emphasis on his more spurious claims arrises from the fact that he presents his ideas as being grounded in science, so when he promotes lifestyle choices that are outlandish and empirically unsound it undermines the source of his intellectual credibility.

the voice doesn't play into it. if anything i'd imagine a burly alpha male in the same position would be deemed more offensive.
    That transphobia stuff was blown way out of proportion. If you watch the famous interview with the female English journalist where she tries to pull him up on the misogyny you can see him deal with it pretty well. He is no misogynist from my pov. Quite the opposite. Which lifestyles? I wasn't suggesting a burly man. In my mind it was more of an Obama type character. Charming, stoic, centered. I think that would work better to deliver the message.

https://www.menshealth.com/health/am...eview-youtube/

Another alt right lunatic does all meat.