john eden

male pale and stale
I don't think generalisations are necessarily reductive. if people are motivated by some drive or desire (whether it's lizard-brain stuff or something more rarified) it doesn't mean that's the *only* thing motivating them (people are subject to multiple contradictory drives), it doesn't mean everyone is subject to the same drives in the same way, and it doesn't mean people are automatons who are completely determined by their desires.

humans are quite a violent species, imo. that's why there's so much history knocking around. that's not all they are, of course, and there's also the question of how much of it is nature and how much is nurture, but either way it certainly seems to be a part of us

Fair enough. I witness a lot less violence these days than I used to and it seems to less accepted as being part of daily life in London than it was in say the 1980s. But maybe I just saw more of it then because I was younger and out more.

So I think the only sensible position is that it is both nature and nurture and we need to find good outlets for it, such as anti-fascism, martial arts, slam dancing and S&M.

version

I've just been reading some of k-punk's old blog posts and under one on an old post of Craner's about the Cold War someone's left the following:

the death drive permeates pop all the way thru e.g "the leader of the pack". it's the kind of death craved that changes from genre to genre. with the early industrialists, they wanted a death that matched their aesthetic - impersonal and mass-produced. making nuclear war an ideal candidate.

Assuming this is true, what's the death-aesthetic these days? Drifting away, numbed on prescription drugs, seems the obvious one what with the prevalence of the stuff in hip-hop atm.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Part of a death-aesthetic seems to be widespread disengagement, cynicism etc. In music I guess you'd see this in emo-rap like xxxtentacion. There seems o be an inward turning there that mirrors the mental health crisis. t I probably don't have my finger firmly enough on the pulse of the new to be able to answer that clearly.

version

I think a fair few people crave an on-screen death, to be seen; lone shooters in the US livestreaming themselves. I dunno whether that translates to music though, I guess the way someone like 6ix9ine was using Instagram to bait people and rapping about it could be one way.

luka

https://www.dk.com/uk/book/9781405345101-the-new-complete-book-of-self-sufficiency/

About The New Complete Book of Self-Sufficiency
Make the break, realise the dream, and start living "The Good Life!" with John Seymour

The new edition of this enduring classic from John Seymour, the founding father of modern self sufficiency, is the key reference to sustainable living off the grid.

This timeless guide features practical small holding know-how, including sections on organic gardening, harnessing solar energy, and keeping chickens, as well as step-by-step guides to key skills like foraging, preserving food, and making your own homebrew.

Packed with Seymour's tried-and-tested tips and invaluable nuggets of advice, discover how to reap the harvest, respect the land, stay healthy and waste nothing.

luka

I've just been reading some of k-punk's old blog posts and under one on an old post of Craner's about the Cold War someone's left the following:

the death drive permeates pop all the way thru e.g "the leader of the pack". it's the kind of death craved that changes from genre to genre. with the early industrialists, they wanted a death that matched their aesthetic - impersonal and mass-produced. making nuclear war an ideal candidate.

Assuming this is true, what's the death-aesthetic these days? Drifting away, numbed on prescription drugs, seems the obvious one what with the prevalence of the stuff in hip-hop atm.

The death promised by climate change is a retributive death. The wages of sin. A death we deserve.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
This is one of the things Ballard got right. We are all aware our feet have never touched the ground. We are desperate for disaster. We are hungry for The Real. We are not content with global warming, we have to accelerate it. There is no way out of this logiv. We all know our secret desires. We want to turn the world upside down. The protagonist in any Ballard novel only comes alive once the worst has happened. We want it. We need it. The vultures waiting on the street lights and telephone wires.

Do we still want it?

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
The death promised by climate change is a retributive death. The wages of sin. A death we deserve.

Man back in November you could say shit like this without Tea crawling up your ass for 4 days and adding it to his dossier to submit to the SS at the end of the month

luka

That's a good line I love it when I'm feeling really slow and stupid and then see a snappy line a younger version of me came out with

version

"In a crisis the true facts are whatever other people say they are. No one's knowledge is less secure than your own."