Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast
Results 436 to 450 of 454

Thread: The Jooooozzzzzz

  1. #436
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    27,080

    Default

    Bit late for arguments. That's all over with now.

  2. #437
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    27,080

    Default

    Either there's a miracle or we find out exactly what the Boris faction is planning for Britain. I don't think it's anything nice but hopefully my most lurid nightmare fantasies aren't lived up to.

  3. #438
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    27,080

    Default

    If labour loses there will be reasons why they lost. Lots and lots of interelated reasons. Subvert is not going to be one of the most important of them. I'd say subvert will be a negligible factor in any labour loss today.

    More important will be brexit, a hostile media, the rightward leanings of the British public, plausibly some advantage in online campaigning and data harvesting, Corbyn being a member of the IRA/Hamas, immigration, mass insanity.

  4. #439
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Fear - Dublin
    Posts
    8,527

    Default

    Just a small note to say that Ive known S47 for over 15 years, and of everyone Ive ever met online he has been consistently measured and correct in his opinions and behaviour and is perhaps the person I most respect on the internet.

    For all of your sakes I hope the election goes well today, and also, kudos to Tea for his campaigning.

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:


  6. #440
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    East Loondon
    Posts
    2,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    If labour loses there will be reasons why they lost. Lots and lots of interelated reasons. Subvert is not going to be one of the most important of them. I'd say subvert will be a negligible factor in any labour loss today.

    More important will be brexit, a hostile media, the rightward leanings of the British public, plausibly some advantage in online campaigning and data harvesting, Corbyn being a member of the IRA/Hamas, immigration, mass insanity.
    On that note, I think the antisemitism stuff won't make much of an impact outside of Jewish areas. a) It doesn't cut through, its too counter-intuitive (although it isn't simply "bullshit") but more importantly b) if anti-racism is driving your vote, you should do everything you can to defeat Boris. The Tories are obviously balls deep in the worst kinds of immigrant hatred, Islamophobia, nationalism and every other racism one could name.

  7. #441
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    27,080

    Default

    There's too few Jews and as you say no one concerned about racism is going to vote Tory. It's not a decisive factor although obviously everything counts to one degree or another.

  8. #442
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    18,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    If labour loses there will be reasons why they lost. Lots and lots of interelated reasons. Subvert is not going to be one of the most important of them. I'd say subvert will be a negligible factor in any labour loss today.
    Obviously I don't mean it will all be subvert's fault, personally. I thought that went without saying. I meant the attitude subvert represents: that JC is the perfect candidate, almost messianic (a bit like Jesus!), and that the only reason anyone might think otherwise is because of a sinister conspiracy of Tories, Blairites, bankers, Zionists etc.

    I think if Corbyn hadn't been surrounded and buoyed up by people who think this after the defeat in 2017, it's conceivable he might have made some progress towards addressing those weaknesses rather than just blaming then, Trump style, on negative press covfefe. Or, more drastically, it might have possible to replace him as leader with someone (ie. anyone) more palatable to the electorate.

    Of course, as you say, this is all academic now.
    Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs

  9. #443
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Just a small note to say that Ive known S47 for over 15 years, and of everyone Ive ever met online he has been consistently measured and correct in his opinions and behaviour and is perhaps the person I most respect on the internet.
    well, thanks

  10. #444
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Obviously I don't mean it will all be subvert's fault, personally. I thought that went without saying. I meant the attitude subvert represents: that JC is the perfect candidate, almost messianic (a bit like Jesus!), and that the only reason anyone might think otherwise is because of a sinister conspiracy of Tories, Blairites, bankers, Zionists etc.

    I think if Corbyn hadn't been surrounded and buoyed up by people who think this after the defeat in 2017, it's conceivable he might have made some progress towards addressing those weaknesses rather than just blaming then, Trump style, on negative press covfefe. Or, more drastically, it might have possible to replace him as leader with someone (ie. anyone) more palatable to the electorate.
    We've already done this argument. Corbynistas are mostly a fantasy in the minds of anti-Corbyn zealots, who are far more obsessed with him than the rest of us, As for me, no, I don't think Corbyn is perfect. But yes, he is one of best politicians around.

    As for Corbyn "addressing those weaknesses", that's meaningless. The whole point of the generated anti-Corbyn feeling is that it's random. Creating the impression that he just is awful, for no particular reason. Or for reasons that are the opposite of someone else's. For instance, he's stopping Brexit vs. he's really a Brexiteer. And there are plenty of compilations of headlines where Corbyn is criticized for this and then not this or that and then not that. It's all bollocks.

    And yes, we could have replaced him with someone else, but then the whole process would have started again on whoever took over. I suppose it might have been a cunning plan to replace him for "ill health" or something with one week to go. That would have wrongfooted all the arseholes. But then a lot of us actually support Corbyn, so...
    Last edited by subvert47; 12-12-2019 at 04:25 PM.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to subvert47 For This Useful Post:


  12. #445
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    لندورا
    Posts
    3,462

    Default

    looking forward to looking at all this with the benefit of hindsight

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to sufi For This Useful Post:


  14. #446
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Fear - Dublin
    Posts
    8,527

    Default

    Ready for round two lads?


  15. #447
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    18,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by subvert47 View Post
    And yes, we could have replaced him with someone else, but then the whole process would have started again on whoever took over.
    If this had happened after the defeat in 2017, which many Corbynites hailed as some great victory because it wasn't quite as bad a defeat as most people had expected, there would have been 2.5 years for this process. That's plenty of time. Boris Johnson led the Tories and he's been PM for all of five minutes.

    Quote Originally Posted by subvert47 View Post
    But then a lot of us actually support Corbyn, so...
    Yes yes, I know. People who love Corbyn never tire of telling us infidels how incredibly popular he is (among people who support him).

    I feel like there's an awful lot of finger-pointing being directed at people like me - non-Corbynite Labour voters, Labour members - with the implication that if we'd just had the conviction to believe then it might just have worked. But I haven't spent four years telling people who used to vote Labour, or might conceivably vote Labour, that they should "fuck off and join the Tories/Lib Dems" for showing less than 100% dedication to the great leader. It's the Momentum activists who did that. And either it never occurred to them that people might do just that, or they didn't care.
    Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs

  16. #448
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    (...) Corbynites (...) love Corbyn (...) infidels (...) the great leader (...)
    I supported Corbyn. You didn't. But you're still tiresomely using the language of cults. You still aren't getting the point that it was never actually about him at all. It was people against Corbyn who were obsessed with him. But as I said... We've already done this argument.

    Props for your own work though.
    Last edited by subvert47; 14-12-2019 at 08:39 PM.

  17. #449
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,795

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Ready for round two lads?

    Erm...the Washington Examiner is a Trump-loving right wing piece of shit rag, hopefully you just didn't realize that. don't trust things you read there.

    from wikipedia:

    Anti-immigration stories
    In January 2019, the Washington Examiner published a story with the headline, "Border rancher: 'We've found prayer rugs out here. It's unreal'." Shortly thereafter, President Donald Trump cited the story as another justification for a border wall amid the 2018-2019 federal government shutdown. The story in question cited one anonymous rancher who offered no evidence of these Muslim prayer rugs, such as photos. The story provided no elaboration on how the rancher knew the rugs in question were Muslim prayer rugs. The author of the story formerly worked as press secretary for the anti-immigration group Federation for American Immigration Reform. Stories of Muslim prayer rugs at the border are urban myths that have frequently popped up since at least 2005, but with no evidence to substantiate the claims.[16][17][18][19][20][21] The Examiner never issued a clarification or retracted the story.

    In April 2019, Quartz reported that White House advisor Stephen Miller had been purposely leaking information on border apprehensions and asylum seekers to the Washington Examiner so that the paper would publish stories with alarming statistics that sometimes criticized DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen, which he could then show to Trump and undermine her position. Nielsen was fired in April 2019 for reportedly not being sufficiently hawkish on immigration.[22][23]

    Climate change
    After the Climategate controversy, the Washington Examiner published an op-ed which said of climate science, "Some decades hence, I suspect, people will look back and wonder why so many government, corporate and media elites were taken in by propaganda that was based on such shoddy and dishonest evidence."[24] The allegations regarding the basis for the supposed[25] controversy were rapidly debunked.[25] The scientific consensus that global warming is occurring as a result of human activity remained unchanged throughout the investigations.[26]

    In 2017, the Washington Examiner editorial board supported President Trump's unilateral withdrawal from the Paris Climate Accords, which the Examiner editorial board described as "a big flashy set of empty promises... The Earth’s climate is changing, as it always has. And part of the reason it is changing is due to human activity. But those two facts are excuses neither for alarmism and reflexive, but ineffective action, nor for sacrificing sovereignty to give politicians a short-term buzz of fake virtue and green guerrillas another weapon with which to ambush democratic policymaking."[27][28]

    On August 31, 2019, the Examiner published an editorial, titled "The great failure of the climate models", which claimed that overwhelmingly accepted climate models were not valid scientific tools. Scientists described the Washington Examiner op-ed as highly misleading, noting that there were numerous false assertions and cherry-picked data in the op-ed.[29]

  18. #450
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,795

    Default

    also, at the risk of sounding like a cranky old bastard, I wish this thread had a different name. I know it was meant to be funny but still.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •