Status
Not open for further replies.

IdleRich

IdleRich
it's quite possible that he's good at one thing (PR) and bad at another thing (running a country etc)
In fact this is the fundamental problem with western democratic systems isn't it? That the system picks people who are good at winning elections rather than those who are good at running a country. I don't really see any particular reason why those two things should be correlated. So now I think about it a bit more, it seems pretty likely that any leader is gonna be a ninja in the PR/winning bit and it's pretty much fifty-fifty whether they turn out to be good at running things or not. So I reckon the contradiction you identified is in fact likely to be what's going on about half of the time, before we even talk about individuals, purely cos of the way the system is set up.

Leo

Boris and trump have been anything but incompetent when it comes to what is important to them. They've been incredibly successful.

that was kind of my point: they aren't as clueless and bungling as lots of progressive media like to portray them to be.

but trump and Boris are in different situations: Boris won recently and made brexit happen, whereas trump hasn't run in four years, is under water regarding approval rating and his party got creamed in the biggest mid-term election lost in history. incumbents often see their party lose in mid-terms but this GOP loss was huge.

droid

They're clearly not incompetent in particular fields. I think of them like vultures. Possessing a cunning and a ruthless instinct for a certain kind of exploitative chicanery.

droid

Yknow, there's NEVER been a successful coronavirus vaccine. Its a strong possibility that the inability to shut things down quickly enough may have repercussions that last for years.

version

Someone was saying the other day that they're casting NHS workers as soldiers on the front line so they can paint the deaths as noble sacrifices rather than fuck ups on their part in not providing enough equipment.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Classic Dom!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Regarding those 128 fake <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NHS?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#NHS</a> Staff accounts posting for 'Herd Mentality' and support of the Govt that were set up by <a href="https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@DHSCgovuk</a> or their marketing agency ...<br><br>Posts were sent using Hootsuite, a mass-posting tool. Account registered to 1 person with 4 assigned contributors. <a href="https://t.co/r7fRFQaFwG">pic.twitter.com/r7fRFQaFwG</a></p>— John O'Connell (@jdpoc) <a href="">April 20, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:

luka

Someone was saying the other day that they're casting NHS workers as soldiers on the front line so they can paint the deaths as noble sacrifices rather than fuck ups on their part in not providing enough equipment.

That's the thing that feels mostly darkly sinister and deliberate. The treatment of the hospital staff. (Are they all NHS? I doubt it. Bet cleaners etc are subcontracted)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It's all part of the branding of the attempt to contain the disease as a "war". Johnson as the new Churchill, and all that. Fills the void left by Brexit, which was also a "war", as was the economic crisis before that. Keep Calm and Carry On, because We're All In This Together.

IdleRich

IdleRich
But these fake NHS accounts have been linked to an actual government department? Did I get that right? That's insane.

Leo

are democrats and labour capable of being that cleverly dark and deceitful? it seems fundamentally against their nature, but if the ends justify the means then I kind of wish they'd occasionally be dark evil tacticians.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
are democrats and labour capable of being that cleverly dark and deceitful? it seems fundamentally against their nature, but if the ends justify the means then I kind of wish they'd occasionally be dark evil tacticians.

Reminds me of that interview with Aaron Bastani where he says he would be happy to publish stories about Tories being racist or homophobic or whatever that he knew were false. But he represents a kind of self-consciously 'bad boy'-ish part of the left which - their fanatical pro-Corbyn stance notwithstanding - doesn't have a great deal to do with the Labour party.

Damned if you do (and face charges of hypocrisy, not least from your own side), damned if you don't (and fight with one hand behind your back). I think notionally progressive parties are at a massive inherent disadvantage here.

Leo

alas, as will rogers said "I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Nice touch making "@nhs_susan" (identified as Mia by her name badge) both deaf and trans. Diverse! Inclusive! Just the sort of thing to make you - a dim, well-meaning, broadly liberal Twitter user - mash the Like and Retweet buttons without a second's thought!

droid

TBF the dems just recently encouraged voting in the middle of a pandemic in order to ensure that their right wing candidate defeated a marginally left wing opponent. Thats pretty evil no matter how you swing it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Have you seen the oil price?

It's negative.

Dear Russia, dear independent Scotland, any comment?

Holy shit, I thought you were being hyperbolic but it actually is. Fucking hell.

And the price of a litre of fuel on a UK forecourt drops by all of about 25p of course, lol.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I wondered when we were gonna start talking about that... I think that the forecourt one is Brent Crude though isn't it? That's not negative (yet).

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well I think even Brent crude dropped in price by about 50% a few years ago when the Saudis sold off a big chunk of their reserves just to fuck Iran up, and car fuels dropped in price by about 10p or something daft because ~70% of the price is tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.