Status
Not open for further replies.

IdleRich

IdleRich
If true then it means that the number of deaths in the UK is almost twice as large as anywhere else except for the US... and by FAR the worst of anywhere per capita.

Leo

seen on instagram, sounds about right...

I see a future with a new class of people: The Immunes: Those who've acquired immunity from Covid-19 by being exposed to it. These New Immunes will be able to go back into the highly-modified world, work, move-about, etc. Many, like me, w/out immunity may never see society again.

Each return of Covid-19 wave produces more Immunes on earth. I figure by 2023-2025 we reach close to 60-70% immunity for population. Not for older folks, like me. The already compromised & the old will never see society again. After The Black Death employment surged for 30-years.

The New Immunes will wear insignia; iPhone will track their movements, temperature & who they're in contact with; they can have a tracking chip embedded subcutaneously. They will be permitted to move about new highly limited-world. Security will monitor movement.

Note - FOUR YEARS was the fastest vaccine ever produced was for Mumps in the 1950s. Scaling up to producing a one or probably two-does vaccine for 350,000,000 people living in the USA, distributing them, and administering them - this could take many years. Imagine what might happen when the early batches of just one-million doses become available.

What else? Flying is changed forever. Restaurants are changed forever. Museums and galleries? How do they open??? Office-culture? Essentially gone.

droid

I dont think thats right, there's no guarantee of immunity. In fact early research is showing that only those who have suffered a severe reaction are producing antibodies at all and even then we don't know how long they'll last. the cold is a coronavirus and we still haven't developed immunity to that.

Last edited:

droid

If true then it means that the number of deaths in the UK is almost twice as large as anywhere else except for the US... and by FAR the worst of anywhere per capita.

The previous estimates id seen from reliable people were saying about a 50% increase from official figures, which would have put the total at about 25,000 - which seemed reasonable. That FT estimate is just devastating.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
The Tory establishment will say whatever it takes to stay & anyone who acquiesces with their pitiful institution during the current horror will be damned by history.

Any government that chooses to spend 3 & half years playing with the lives of its citizens over an abstraction like Brexit should hang themselves, immediately.

Yours faithfully,

Mr Angry
Lodge Mews
NW1

IdleRich

IdleRich
Now Missouri is suing Chinese leaders cos of the virus and some people in NY are suing the WHO... think they'll be lucky to get much out of that to be honest.

luka

Would like to know how it feels to be in the UK at the moment.... I guess most of you lot aren't there either.

It feels amazing. The air is so clean and full of the perfume of blossom and flowers. Everyone is so happy and friendly, everyone smiles when they see you, often wave or say hello. The weather has been perfect almost every day, beautiful blue skies and warm sunshine.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The previous estimates id seen from reliable people were saying about a 50% increase from official figures, which would have put the total at about 25,000 - which seemed reasonable. That FT estimate is just devastating.

I've been tracking the weekly excess death rates given by the ONS and comparing them to official covid-19 deaths (because I know how to have a good time). In the weeks ending 27/03 and 3/04, the excess deaths (compared to the previous five years' average) was about twice the official covid-19 toll. The week after that (the most recent available) it was about 60% higher. Although that only takes us up to the very beginning of the current period where we're routinely seeing >700 official covid-19 deaths a day.

However, the general mortality rate this up until the pandemic hit was somewhat lower than the five-year average, presumably because the weather's been so mild (hence lower death toll from normal vanilla flu), so the FT may have taken that into account to get this (even) higher number.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Weird disjunct between the relentless grimness and, as luka says, the fact that just walking around is unusually pleasant.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Tricky. At home, it’s balancing family time, finding individual time alone, trying to keep sproglets busy so they burn off their energy safely. It’s like playing wackamole with stress, either your own or her indoors. The kids are loving it though. They spend all day making dens, climbing our tree, I came down this morning and there was an entire battle of toy soldiers lined up like something from Waterloo. Every child knows play is more noble than work, so it’s trying to encourage their joy. I’d have been the same at their age if one day adults said “no more school until further notice”.

Keeping the news off, music with breakfast, shagging a lot more, one day at a time.

droid

lol, sorry. The immunity thing is very, very worrying though.

Reports today that people are still testing positive weeks or even months after recovering from the virus, or testing negative and then positive again despite being in quarantine.

We may end up in a scenario where those who have been infected and recovered - the 'immune' - are the ones who end up permanently confined.

Where's the article that says there are positives months after? I did see something that seemed to indicate the illness feels to rise and fall in waves, which is why you get false negatives towards the end of the illness, but havent read the ones that legitimately show reinfection months down the line.

droid

Here:
Chinese doctors in Wuhan, where the coronavirus first emerged in December, say a growing number of cases in which people recover from the virus, but continue to test positive without showing symptoms, is one of their biggest challenges as the country moves into a new phase of its containment battle.

Those patients all tested negative for the virus at some point after recovering, but then tested positive again, some up to 70 days later, the doctors said.

Many have done so over 50-60 days.

The prospect of people remaining positive for the virus, and therefore potentially infectious, is of international concern, as many countries seek to end lockdowns and resume economic activity as the spread of the virus slows.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...085a072d3bcf77#block-5ea016e08f085a072d3bcf77

Status
Not open for further replies.