Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Added complication is that there was no longer one single SARS-COV-2 virus almost from the second the first person got ill, because it mutates so rapidly. I would think it's possible that even someone who's developed immunity to one strain could be floored by a new wave weeks or months later.

This diagram only takes us up to the end of February:

covid_tree.jpg

droid

Yeah, there's about 30 strains now AFAIK.

So we have a highly mutable virus which is highly contagious, may or not create antibodies in recovered patients, may remain in the system for months after infection, in which recovery may not confer immunity at all (or could even be like dengue fever in which the second infection often kills) and for which a vaccine may not even be possible.

This... is not going to be over very soon at all. The human toll as it is is deeply tragic but we are also incredibly lucky this isn't a more lethal disease. Its starting to look like social distancing, lockdowns, travel restrictions etc may end up being our only effective weapon.

droid

I which case the politicians and lunatics pushing for a relaxation of rules may be making a very, very bad mistake that could have decades long repercussions.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Sounds like you lot are still enjoying lockdown. Weather has been fucking miserable here, really starting down these last few days, massive thunder and lightning storms right over head etc especially hard to leave the flat for that reason so any novelty of confinement definitely warn off.

Leo

I which case the politicians and lunatics pushing for a relaxation of rules may be making a very, very bad mistake that could have decades long repercussions.

they're all in denial, and when the inevitable wave of infections and deaths reoccur they will blame anyone but themselves.

RE: the lunatic protesters, important to keep things in context...they are at most a few thousand people in a country of 331 million and not representative of the country.

and as noted earlier, National Conservatives Coordinated State Lockdown Protests

droid

they're all in denial, and when the inevitable wave of infections and deaths reoccur they will blame anyone but themselves.

RE: the lunatic protesters, important to keep things in context...they are at most a few thousand people in a country of 331 million and not representative of the country.

and as noted earlier, National Conservatives Coordinated State Lockdown Protests

Yeah, but not just referring to the US there. Its happening everywhere and usually its the same kind of people. Conspiracists and the right.

Look at these pricks. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/cri...-doherty-challenge-to-covid-19-laws-1.4234127

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, they seem to be small numbers - of course more visible than the stay-at-homes on the other side - and supporting an idea that polls show is very unpopular. But weird how they have so much support from politicians and such. The way Trump plays it is classic "having it both ways" in that he is the leader of the country (nominally) and yet is cheering for a small group of rebels who are practising a kind of civil disobedience and acting contrary to their best interests in asking for the country to be "opened up" which he claims he himself could do, but doesn't. What the fuck is his actual position?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Stiglitz on the US

The numbers turning to food banks are just enormous and beyond the capacity of them to supply. It is like a third world country. The public social safety net is not working.
Does he need the word "like" in that sentence? I saw something the other day which said that the crisis has revealed that the US is a third world country wearing a gucci built, it was meant flippantly but I think it nails it, at least for a percentage of the population which is way too large to be dismissed.
Not that the UK is any better necessarily.

Stiglitz on the US

Does he need the word "like" in that sentence? I saw something the other day which said that the crisis has revealed that the US is a third world country wearing a gucci built, it was meant flippantly but I think it nails it, at least for a percentage of the population which is way too large to be dismissed.
Not that the UK is any better necessarily.

Brazilification is a good word to describe what's happening in the US

Leo

saw an interesting meme:

when white police officers are caught using excessive or lethal force on an African American, conservatives say the guy should just obey authority.
when families are separated and locked in cages for trying to cross the Mexican border, conservatives say they should just obey authority.
when states close businesses and enforce lockdown to prevent spread of a pandemic, conservatives get all bent out of shape because it affects them and suddenly they don't believe in obeying authority.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah same... I thought that all the news sources would be reacting to this today - either to agree or to try and debunk or whatever - but they seem to just be ignoring it. I'm watching the daily briefing thing right now and they're not even being asked to respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.