luka

There's something of the U.K. In that too. Something of our dance music bias

MC just channeling the vibe and enhancing. He's not so vain he expects you to listen to his stupid lyrics. It's just an amplifier of vibe.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
He raps a bit like 50 cent sings.

I was gonna say Max B but might as well give it up to the Godfather.

luka

With me, it's kinda the opposite. "I like this taste". I'm a convert. Love the sound, sinuous bass and gravel voice, I could listen to him all day.

Me too. I love it. But ten seconds per song is plenty

sadmanbarty

that's a uk instrumental. sounds like uk drill.

this is the least compelling rap-wise. after culture no american rapper should be allowed to rap traditionally. its soul destroying. "cultural cowardice". our collective cognition has been rewired now and doing a proper rapidy rap sounds trite.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Loads more lyricism on the 3rd one. As style, not stupid words. What 3, 4 different flows there. Feels like a statement. "I can too rap! Had me down as a one trick pony did ya?"

luka

Loads more lyricism on the 3rd one. As style, not stupid words. What 3, 4 different flows there. Feels like a statement. "I can too rap! Had me down as a one trick pony did ya?"

I'm sure it is literally a stung response to YouTube non believers

luka

Best one so far? Lots of pretty little trippy elements in and out of it fucking great

sadmanbarty

actually it is quite good. bouncy. i think uk mc's are better at that sort of thing. also his voice doesn't really match that kind of thing. trying to use wet sand as a pogo stick. but it's fun.

that scrape sound in the instrumental is the 2nd most used sound in uk drill after the piano (it possibly is a slow attack piano). like a vaporised sheet of metal.

kumar

His voice has a very different presence than most UK guys. it feels wispy, breathy, gated, processed in a way that doesn’t give it gummy physical edges, one of my favourite things with UK drill is the way lots of the voices have a casualness that makes them feel really little and human next to the production values of the beats and videos, they really sound like 17 year olds a lot of the time but this guy sounds like an animated villain. Surely a lot of the strangeness comes from the American accent, but he also sounds older than me which is not something I look for with drill.