Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Are happy people boring?

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    maybe there used to be a wider and clearer divide between generations, the boring conformity of oldies seems to have seeped into a young demographic. you can see it in gentrified neighborhoods here: young people used to be the most recent wave of freaks and non-normals who fled their home towns to embrace the freedom of the NYC experience; many of the ones coming now are more interested in bringing their suburban, gated-community mentality TO the city and spending all their time at work or the gym.

also as tea alluded to, there are both interesting creative freaks and boring bastards in all age groups. not sure how old Idlerich is but he and his missus still seem to enjoy a lust for life! eden still goes to see a guy play a piece of string tied across an old kitchen sink at cafe Oto!
    This shocked me when I lived for a year near Islington and encountered all these very young couples shopping together in Cath Kidston or Laura Ashley or whatever. The rush to embrace domesticity.

Horrifying.

I strongly advise everyone to ignore what Eden's just said, he's trying to spoil our fun. This is a sneering thread. Never be ashamed of your contempt for other people. It's what makes life worth living.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Very clean looking. Smooth cheeks. Something unformed about them. The pubs round there are gross too.

Rosy cheeks too. Flushed. Too much meat in the diet?

Every now and then John turns into a Home Counties vicar and you have to quickly shake him out of it

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Well-adjusted pricks. They make comedowns much worse.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shiels For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by entertainment View Post
    Same here I think. This thread spawned from browsing a dating app and being confronted with this endless stream of genuinely smiling people who love travelling and cooking and dogs and maybe there's a funny picture with a drink.

I should go outside but it's raining.
    I mean this might be stating the obvious but people on dating apps are trying to appear attractive, which means looking happy, looking adventurous, looking active and all the rest of it. I wouldn't say that any social media, let alone a dating app, gives you an insight into the fullness of a person.

I have found that the people I get on best with usually turn out to have been unhappy to the point of getting therapy. It makes sense, because that's what I'm like. But everybody suffers in one way or another.

I'm 35, and I'm still battling my own nature, my own unhappiness. Some days I feel as depressed as I did when I was 25 and nearly suicidal. So I can't really speak from a position of having conquered anything but - be wary of romanticising unhappiness. I think a lot of people who are naturally quite pessimistic and shy are forced to romanticise and lionise unhappiness as a compensation for not being happy. I've done this for a long time. It's a trap.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

This reminds me. Corpsey has a theory that 99% of dissensus is profoundly ahedonic which is why they don't like Mariah Carey.
    Last edited by luka; 09-02-2020 at 02:22 PM.

"The unhappy are egoistic, spiteful, unjust, cruel, and less capable of understanding each other than fools. Unhappiness does not bring people together but draws them apart, and even where one would fancy people should be united by the similarity of their sorrow, far more injustice and cruelty is generated than in comparatively placid surroundings."
    Anton Chekhov

Thatís true about dating apps. People are risk-averse when advertising to such a wide audience

I've not used a dating app and I feel this has given me a huge blind spot when it comes to trying to understand the world. Like if I hadn't of been using Facebook in the tail end of the '00s

You aren't missing much. People are bad at selling themselves is the main insight. Generally, people don't know what makes them interesting. Or they're at their least interesting when they think they know who they are and what everything is about. It's a different thing than just happiness this boring wholesome thing, it's about a bland self-assuredness or a lack of curiosity. Needs more doubt.

You'd think there would be mileage in signposting yourself as a freak in that environment

There are more niche apps for that. But on the more mainstream ones you'd be shocked how much the same tropes are repeated.

You notice the effect because you spend so much time on these things. It's kind of comparable to much of the chat you see on Twitter. And that conformist internationalist internet humour, a way of speaking shaped by the pressure of massive audiences, potential virality. Template personalities, template jokes.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shiels For This Useful Post:

add make-up, filters and plastic surgery to it and it feels like you're just seeing the same person repeated a million times. as if they all feature in the same shampoo commercial.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to yyaldrin For This Useful Post:

men usually have a picture of themself posing with a slimy fish they caught or a selfie with a lion they took on a safari in africa.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to yyaldrin For This Useful Post: