SecondLine

hmmm, i never thought the thundercat album was 'maximal', even if it was produced by flying lotus. it sounds like an album of near-demos to me (not in a bad way).

Yeah that's true actually. I expected to be totally crammed with instruments but most of it's just multi-tracked bass and those really nice chinky-chink drums.

tom lea

I can't speak for Zomby but I know I was watching Alex Bok Bok play grime- and talking to him about grime- a long time ago and have nothing to say other than that. His intent isn't cynical, which can't be said for some other people making this false "eski" shit right now like.

"its eski remade through a sort of indie romanticism";

this is a real thing which really depresses me and there are lots of them.

is there that much of it tho?

bok bok and jam city have always been into grime, same with logos. is there anyone else really pushing the eski square wave thing bar them, zomby and becoming real? genuine question, there's a good possibility i just havent heard much of it.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
well, we could tease them about it if it were true which would be fun. but what i am more interested in is the ten year time lag between the arrival of a new sound and its co-option by the mainstream. the moody wiley ripoffs are another example of how even in the internet age the ten year time lag is still in effect.
I think it's related to the ongoing search for ever more obscure and unfashionable 70s / 80s scenes to have always been really interested in... except that there the time period remains roughly fixed but the sounds in question become progressively more niche / contrived as most of the obvious scenes get mined out.

rubberdingyrapids

not that i think bandwagon jumping or the type of thing where people only go near a music once its virtually dead are necessarily good things, but its expecting a bit much of everyone making a style of music to have been into it from day one.

e/y

the first hour of last night's rinse show literally put me to sleep.

heh @ blackdown

Last edited:

luka

i think when talking about music it is important never to lose sight of the overall aim, which is onemanupmanship.

meatstixx

pretty on the money piece by simon... don't think i realised quite how into rock rustie was. only reinforces why i'm not feeling the album.

anyone else notice the parallel between the digital musician's source overload he seems to warn against and the sheer number of musical reference he's able to source while writing about overload? maybe the musician isn't so alone in being affected by this phenomena.

Really disliked the maximalism piece by simon, firstly I thought he already dismissed Hudson Mohawke and the "wonky" meme a couple or years ago as being a product of ketamine? That was hilarious bollocks. Now he groups it all together under a new tag, throwing in the thundercat album which is a straight jazz funk / broken record and really nothing to do with what rustie and mo are doing at all. It's yet more lazy silliness from someone who has less and less interesting remarks to make I think. Yes rusties record is a colourful, busy record, it's like stating the bloody obvious, the whole reason that record stood out was that it was fundamentally different to anything else that dropped this year. I thought dans piece in the guardian on why it was such a fun and refreshing record was a far more worthy read.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
well, i think it did a pretty good job of pointing out what an 80s rock record it was (if you ignore the trance bits...), which was why the album didnt do it for me. (ps i dont like trance either). i liked rustie's early work so chose not to write about the album.

meatstixx

I think there is a slight twinge of Yes / Sky / Gentle Giant to the rustie album but it's not there in spades, its more of a colouration thing, glass swords is not a progressive rock album at all nor one that is particularly rock at all, acoustic snares aside. and it's certainly no more maximal than the average stargate beat /production for Rihanna. When we talk about "maximalism" as a quality it's independent from analog or digital - in those terms, analog maximalism was Martyn ware layering his voice 176 times for the chorus of Heaven 17's "Temptation."

I just thought it sounded like an 80s boogie album thrown through about a hundred different things. Can't hear the rock in it at all

thought it was really good

rubberdingyrapids

i dont hear it as being rock either, only in the sort of turned up to 17 blare it all has, its pretty unignorable. its a bit prog/rock in how it has little space in a lot of the tracks and something new is always happening, he doesnt let it get into a groove very much. but i kinda like it, despite it sounding a bit too relentlessly happy and all those 80s-pop-kitsch sounds he uses (which def arent typical rock things lol).

muser

first time I looked on dsf in a while someone posted this track re Rustie influences,

defintiely no rock but alot of that kind of 80's prog rock sound in his tracks, you can even here some licks dropped in the tracks, notm sure if they are samples or him playing.

I relistened to sunburst the other day and it struck me as sounding pretty much identical to glass swords, alot more than i remembered, but without any standout tracks like "ultra-thizz".

SecondLine

Rusties 'first live' show featured him playing guitar.

Always funny/almost unfailingly a faux pas when people cross that line between heavily sampling/referencing a particular genre and attempting to replicate it from scratch using the original instruments. It's like they don't understand what's good about sampling in the first place.

Are there vids of that Rustie set?